Author Topic: Is Gerry Adams a real Baron?  (Read 7171 times)

allymac

Is Gerry Adams a real Baron?
« on: January 26, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
I wonder how Gerry feels about his new position?
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

spot

Re: Is Gerry Adams a real Baron?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 03:53:12 PM »
I wonder how Gerry feels about his new position?

What has he done now :scratch_ones_head:
Spot

Cobra

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:08:55 PM »

:D

St.Anthony

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:23:06 PM »

What has he done now :scratch_ones_head:

Got a job as a bailiff with a title. :D

St.Anthony

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 04:28:27 PM »
<blockquote>The UK Treasury confirms what the Prime Minister, David Cameron, told the Commons today. From the Treasury’s press notice

The Chancellor of the Exchequer has this day appointed Gerard Adams to be Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead.
http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/press_08_11.htm </blockquote>

rathlin

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:34:10 PM »
I believe that Gerry Adams will be laughing his head off with such a laughible title.  Just like the rest of us.
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

St.Anthony

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
I believe that Gerry Adams will be laughing his head off with such a laughible title.  Just like the rest of us.

Gerry and Sinn Fein are " not amused" to quote Queen Victoria

Adams comments on Cameron claimsJanuary 26, 2011
Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams commenting on a claim by British PM David Cameron that he has accepted a post as “Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead’ said.

Mr. Adams said:

“The only contact I have had with the British Parliament is a letter I posted to them last Thursday.

That letter said:
“A chara, I hereby resign as MP for the constituency of west Belfast. Go raibh maith agat. Gerry Adams”

When I was told of the British Prime Minister’s remarks today this was the first I heard of this development. I understand Mr. Cameron has claimed that ‘ the Honourable Member for West Belfast has accepted an office for profit under the Crown."

This is untrue. I simply resigned. I was not consulted nor was I asked to accept such an office. I am an Irish republican. I have had no truck whatsoever with these antiquated and quite bizarre aspects of the British parliamentary system.

I am proud to have represented the people of west Belfast for almost three decades and to have done so without pledging allegiance to the English Queen or accepting British parliamentary claims to jurisdiction in my country.

It was a wrench for me to give up the West Belfast seat. I am very grateful to all those citizens who worked and voted for Sinn Fein through good times and bad times in defiance of the British government and its allies in Ireland. But I gave a commitment that when the election to the Dáil was called I would resign the West Belfast seat to stand for the Louth and East Meath constituency and I have.

Mr. Cameron’s announcement that I have become Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead, wherever that is, is a bizarre development . I am sure the burghers of that Manor are as bemused as me. I have spoken to the Prime Ministers Private Secretary today and he has apologised for today’s events.

While I respect the right of British parliamentarians to have their own protocols and systems, no matter how odd these may appear to the rest of the world in general and Irish people in particular, the Prime Minister should not make claims which are untrue and inaccurate. The onus is on the Westminster parties to call a bi-election as soon as possible in the West Belfast constituency. In the meantime let me assure the people of West Belfast that the Sinn Fein party will continue to provide our first class constituency service and representation.”

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »

I believe what it actually means is that the British Government have invoked a procedural device to bring about his resignation.

Mind you I think he must in the past he has been an excellent bailiff in getting people put out of their homes, by various means

One of the previous holders of the title was The Reverand Ian Paisley M.P.
Bord na Móna

spot

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 05:44:26 PM »

I believe what it actually means is that the British Government have invoked a procedural device to bring about his resignation.

Mind you I think he must in the past he has been an excellent bailiff in getting people put out of their homes, by various means

One of the previous holders of the title was The Reverand Ian Paisley M.P.

Well if he did he must have learned it from the English as they were the Worlds best at it
Spot

tboy

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »
and he taxes his motor bikes ;)

bobdenn

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 06:43:16 PM »

No sweat to Gerry.

He has just released the following statement:-

"I have NEVER been a Member of Parliament for West Belfast."

Sorted.

bobdenn

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »
Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead.

How will they fit all that on his headstone in Milltown?

tboy

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »

How will they fit all that on his headstone in Milltown?

they will have to bury him in the Derry plot, theres plenty of room. ;)

Giannineo

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 07:41:02 PM »
he is certainly a right "B" ::)

tboy

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 07:50:25 PM »
at least he's not a wine bailiff :D