Author Topic: Old photos of Forthriver/Glencairn area  (Read 24272 times)

macy

Re: Old photos of Forthriver/Glencairn area
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »
lived in glencairn from 1968 and loved it as a child spent my summer holidays in the glen looking back you never wanted to grow up does anyone remember the big house  bottom of glencairn road coming up would be on your right just before the block of flats remember it geting burned at the start of the troubles dont know why.also a farm behind it at the bottom of the glen they had chickens and a few goats .walked up the other day all growen over but still lots of memories    happy days :)

msw1

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
Yeah Macy they  where the days,Can remember cutting across the Glen twice every day and through lynhurst to get to school.Can remember messing about on dumpers on the Wimpy building sites,I think every kid in the area had a hard hat courtesy of Wimpys and a pocket full of Hilti bullets and the old mobile classrooms in the forest that always smelt of gas

darin

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2012, 01:14:13 PM »
does anyone remember the razors edge up the glen ? it was at a very sharp bend in the river about half way up.it was a very high bank and was about 1 ft wide and maybe 10 ft long. at each end was a flat grassy bit .we used to walk or run across it,if you slipped you slid into about a 1ft of water .a great place to spend days and summer holidays.  darin

NoDor

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2012, 01:18:10 PM »
Great picture of the Forth River.   The school is on the right hand side, you can just see the railings.   Thanks for that, it brings back many memories.

joemarie

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2012, 01:50:31 PM »
HI  I WENT TO FORTHRIVER SCHOOL 1944, REMEMBER THE HEAD MASTER WAS A MR GALLAGHER ALSO A TEACHER MISS ORR WHO I REMEMBER MARRIED A MINISTER,  IN THE WINTER  THE ROAD  WAS ALWAYS FLOODING ON    THE BALLYGOMARTIN RD .UP THE GLENRIVER RD I REMEMBER THE BOMB CRATER ALSO ROBINS WELL AN USE TO WALK  OVER TO HARMONY HTS TO THE CRUMLIN RD WERE THERE WAS TWO MILLS  AN A DAM GREAT MEMORIES.
Hi I went to Forthriver 1945,I remember Mr. Gallagher,Miss Barr,Miss Orr, Mr. Kyle, Mrs. Seewright,Mr. Gibson. Mr. Hall, Mrs Pearman, Mrs. Fitzsimmons, I loved going up the Glen to pick Primroses and bluebells, I remember my mother telling me they used to live in one of the Forthriver cottages and she used to work for the Cunningham's.

msw1

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2012, 03:41:40 PM »
Would the Mr Kyle be Davy Kyle who went on to be principal of Wheatfield school

joemarie

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2012, 03:52:46 PM »
Would the Mr Kyle be Davy Kyle who went on to be principal of Wheatfield school
Mr. Kyle that was at Forthriver school was Jack Kyle, he played rugby.

tommynada

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2012, 11:49:59 PM »
Indeed  a lot of people were thankful to get a house in Glencairn having been forced to leave their homes in New Barnsley. Mother-in-law still there all these years later, it might not be everyone`s cup of tea but it`s home to many decent folk.

oilyrag

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:46 AM »
Indeed  a lot of people were thankful to get a house in Glencairn having been forced to leave their homes in New Barnsley. Mother-in-law still there all these years later, it might not be everyone`s cup of tea but it`s home to many decent folk.

Mr Kyle ( or Kyler ) was still there in 1956 and he taught P7 kids for their 11+ . I can still picture him , a fearful guy who thought nothing of knuckle punching wee kids on the top of their heads. When in a rage he chuck anything at hand towards the offending pupil , the blackboard duster was a favourite missille. Mr Holmes became the new head of Forthy , he always reminded us of a skull , due to his tight facial features. When it snowed heavy we'd be sent home early  .yippee.
so drunk to hell I left the place , sometimes crawling sometimes walking

joemarie

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 01:23:21 PM »

Mr Kyle ( or Kyler ) was still there in 1956 and he taught P7 kids for their 11+ . I can still picture him , a fearful guy who thought nothing of knuckle punching wee kids on the top of their heads. When in a rage he chuck anything at hand towards the offending pupil , the blackboard duster was a favourite missille. Mr Holmes became the new head of Forthy , he always reminded us of a skull , due to his tight facial features. When it snowed heavy we'd be sent home early  .yippee.
I was afraid of Mr. Kyle when I seen him thowing the blackboard duster and refused to stay in his class,I was lucky Mr.Gallagher allowed me to stay another year in Mr.Hall's class.The last time I was home in Belfast my sister and I were standing looking at the ground where Forthriver school had been,I am going to Belfast in 2 weeks time and no doubt I will be having a look again,I am in Canada 40 years but still call Belfast home.

Ifcp1

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2012, 10:18:45 PM »
Any pictures of the old Forth River football team that played at Edenderry pre WWII?

Shankill Sam

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 03:45:20 AM »
Hi All, i lived in Glencairn (Forthriver Road) for many a year in the 70's went to Fernhill P.S. from the Hemsworth Square P.S. & then onto Somerdale S.C. Lived facing ST. Andrews church before the Day Centre thing was built. :)
Ask not of what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country !

Shankill Sam

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »
Did anyone go to Fernhill p.s. if so, do you remember a teacher called Mr Mclure, he would ping your ears & hit you on the knuckles with the edge of the ruler as you were doing your work. what an [censored]!  >:D
Ask not of what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country !

curlywotsits

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2014, 07:58:04 AM »
I grew up in Forthriver Crescent so many a happy day was spent in the park and up the glen,I remember the waterall, if i rem correct someone was killed when their car / motorbike went over the edge, hence prepare to meet thy god. I remember swimming in the spoon during the good summers of the 70`s, there were also fish in it. Billy Semple was the park ranger who lived in the Four Winds before moving to Woodvale. I think Robins well was covered up as it was a security threat (planting bombs inside - not the well itself being a threat lol) as the TV masts were just down the lane a bit and guarded by the army. Went to Fernhill P.S Mr Marsden was the head and Mr Stewart was my teacher, suppose Mr Parkinson was the most well known teacher.

deirdre

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »
My great aunt Annie Kerr Lamb..they lived at 3forthriver gardens..I think this is at no.3.. But not sure..