Author Topic: Old photos of Forthriver/Glencairn area  (Read 24755 times)

Rosser

Re: Old photos of Forthriver/Glencairn area
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 05:35:04 PM »
Quote from: oilyrag A great write up Rosser....imagine forgetting the bomb hole  :swoon:
[/quote

Oilyreg, I was too embarassed to mention it as it brought back bad memories of my first [censored] :swoon:  no not that type, we used to catch frogs and stick a straw up their bums :(  you can guess the rest, I suppose I should also have mentioned PREPARE TO MEET THY GOD as well, do you remember it at the waterfall?

Rosser
How's yer belly off for blackheads

oilyrag

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 06:02:21 PM »
as kids we'd follow the Glen river from the Ballygo right up to the waterfall , I never could climb the rock face which formed the falls but went around it , then continued following the river. Robins well ,I'm sure there were fish swimming around in it before it got concreted over. On the return we'd follow the steep gradient down to the next junction and turn left through farm buildings , cross over a ford in the river and end up at the Wolf Hill dams.These were deep and dangerous , they we something to do with the local Ligoniel Mill.   Through the houses and down the Crumlin Rd , back into the park for more mischief. Guess we were wild , never in the house , and running about with wet feet and socks that had disappeared up the toe of the wellies. Quick wash in the schullery sink ready for school in the morning. Thing I do remember about those days  .always hungery, especially sunday mornings which was a lay-in for the folks , until that smell of bacon and eggs crept up the stairs.   
so drunk to hell I left the place , sometimes crawling sometimes walking

wavey davey

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 08:17:25 PM »
There's a photo of the ink bottle house here
http://photoalbum.rushlightmagazine.com/#bn-photocenter-1-1-2212447121/54537/1/
courtesy of rushlight magazine
wavey

catweazle

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
as kids we'd follow the Glen river from the Ballygo right up to the waterfall , I never could climb the rock face which formed the falls but went around it , then continued following the river. Robins well ,I'm sure there were fish swimming around in it before it got concreted over. On the return we'd follow the steep gradient down to the next junction and turn left through farm buildings , cross over a ford in the river and end up at the Wolf Hill dams.These were deep and dangerous , they we something to do with the local Ligoniel Mill.   Through the houses and down the Crumlin Rd , back into the park for more mischief. Guess we were wild , never in the house , and running about with wet feet and socks that had disappeared up the toe of the wellies. Quick wash in the schullery sink ready for school in the morning. Thing I do remember about those days  .always hungery, especially sunday mornings which was a lay-in for the folks , until that smell of bacon and eggs crept up the stairs.
Hi Oilyrag,

Great memories. Could you please tell exactly whereabouts on the Glencairn River, the waterfall and rockface was located. I remember my dad telling about a waterfall, but forget whereabouts it was.

Was there a large pool called,  "The Spoon"?  I think this was at the upper part of the river. Or is my recollection of what my dad told me, going hazy?

Rosser

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 12:51:31 AM »
Catweazle, The waterfall was just opposite the entrance to the park, just where the corrugated iron fence started, it was`nt much to see also that is where prepare to meet thy god was painted on the rock, the only deep pool I know of was accessed via the top left hand corner of the field where the bombhole was, this was also where you gained access to the steps which took you up to the Frasers large house.

Rosser

JA

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 03:21:26 AM »
I remember when they started to build the Lynhurst houses over from the waterfall. There was a lot of bluebells and primroses at that time - when in season. One could walk further up the mountain to some old cottage ruins. You could walk back down on a stoney overgrown lane but not the full way to the Ballygomartin Road, or back down the river. That whole area of the Glencairn was a wonderful wild place. What a place to have grown up in, back then.

JA.

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 12:58:55 AM »
Rosser - I read the posts about the waterfall and wondered what they were talking about. However, when I read yours it brought back the memory of the waterfall - o.m.g that was years and years ago.  Thanks Rosser for reminding me. 

the orrs

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 09:22:41 AM »
Remember   green gate,, but what was it or were was it on the glen river

Rosser

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 10:58:45 AM »
Hi all, Green gate was along the Wolfhill Rd which took you over Harmony towards the Ligoniel dam, I may be wrong but the river there I think was the actual Forth river, the Glen river joined the Forth river behind Forthriver school.
Pat, only too glad to refresh memories,as long as they are good ones :smile:

Rosser

oilyrag

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »
Memories are fadings fast , thank goodness for Rosser who seems to be on the ball. The waterfall I think was adjacent to the Fraser house the one where we'd make wee crosses with a bit of slate on the wall.There used to be a lovely family called the Wyllies (prob spelt wrong)who used to go to Forth River school. They lived within the walled grounds of the house and we'd climb trees and build tree huts. When in the late 60s the developers messed about with the Glencairn estate there was soil and mud slippage down the slopes into the river, where a very large pool and deep was formed.Someone had left a wooden pallet laying about so naturally we played boats.It was totally unstable and tipped over, how we never drowned I've no idea. Once again ran home wet and stinking trying to wring the clothes out before our ma came home to give us a belting.On the right of the road there used to be a big house called Ferndale (Ithink) It was empty and the care taker was a Mr McBride , I remember it used to be open for school visits and he'd show us around.It was spooky and of course he'd say it was haunted , just to prevent a revisit by some nasty kids.
so drunk to hell I left the place , sometimes crawling sometimes walking

JA

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Rosser,
Do remember when the Cunninghams' had their fox hunting day?
They would all gather on the road outside the 1st gate lodge. I think it was around autumn time. About 1950-54 period.

JA.

Rosser

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 12:21:03 AM »
JA, Sorry no I`m just a wee bit too young but would have loved to have seen it,sadly sights like that are becoming rare today,but I do remember the McKee`s from our street hunting with lurchers up the glen,10 bob for a foxes tounge from Leopold st barracks, easy money then.

Rosser

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 12:30:28 AM »
Hi Rosser, the Simpsons as well as the McKees went hunting.  I remember about the fox's tongues and them taking them to Leopold Street. As I have said before you have a great memory!

JA

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 12:53:59 AM »
JA, Sorry no I`m just a wee bit too young but would have loved to have seen it,sadly sights like that are becoming rare today,but I do remember the McKee`s from our street hunting with lurchers up the glen,10 bob for a foxes tounge from Leopold st barracks, easy money then.

Rosser

It was quite the sight thats for sure and one of my many memories of the Glencairn, but both you and Patricia Margaret have me on the fox tongues and why they where taken to Leopold street barracks. Can you expand on it??
JA

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 01:28:22 AM »
JA the foxes were considered a nuisance to live stock, so if a hunter shot one, and took the tongue of it as evidence, to the local Police Station they got a reward for killing the fox..