Author Topic: Old photos of Forthriver/Glencairn area  (Read 24322 times)

JA

Re: Old photos of Forthriver/Glencairn area
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 06:06:13 PM »
JA the foxes were considered a nuisance to live stock, so if a hunter shot one, and took the tongue of it as evidence, to the local Police Station they got a reward for killing the fox..

I never knew that. Thanks.
I remember the Thompsons in the 1st farm I think that was past the two Cunningham houses, set way back from the road. My dad knew one of the two sisters. We use to get holly for Xmas. I don't remember any sides of beef though!

oilyrag

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 05:19:13 AM »
I remember the foxes tongues providing a bounty.....anyone confirm that carrion crows ( black & white ones) also produced a small payment.
so drunk to hell I left the place , sometimes crawling sometimes walking

Watso

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 10:34:48 PM »
When we were kids in mid fifties we would leave montreal st with our dried milk tin, firstly to boil abrew of tea then, roast spuds on a fire also probably had Jam sandwiches,what a treat.We would spend the day playing about and catching spricks.we would have spent the best part of the day there.at the twelth we would collect wood for the bonfire.if the peelers saw you with green branches you usually had a visit to your house . One peeler comes to mind we called him durango i beleive Beattie was his name,when he appeared you got offside.great to hear of the good ould days.

sonofshanks

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »

Acknowledgement to the publication `Away up Thonder`
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

sonofshanks

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 12:09:43 PM »

sonofshanks

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »

sonofshanks

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2011, 12:16:37 PM »

sonofshanks

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2011, 12:24:01 PM »
As far as I am aware, I had a Great Uncle called Davy Scott who worked for the Cunninghams at Glencairn, as head groom. I also believe his brother worked for the Cunninghams as a chauffeur.
I have many fond memories of the `old Glencairn` as it was.

zane

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2011, 08:37:33 PM »

zane

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2011, 08:39:52 PM »
When we were kids in mid fifties we would leave montreal st with our dried milk tin, firstly to boil abrew of tea then, roast spuds on a fire also probably had Jam sandwiches,what a treat.We would spend the day playing about and catching spricks.we would have spent the best part of the day there.at the twelth we would collect wood for the bonfire.if the peelers saw you with green branches you usually had a visit to your house . One peeler comes to mind we called him durango i beleive Beattie was his name,when he appeared you got offside.great to hear of the good ould days.

zane

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2011, 09:02:30 PM »
hi, watso; i too did everything you mentioned up the "glen"; what a wonderful place it was to get away from it all; i remember doing my wayfarers badge in the "b/brigade" and was able to collect all the flowers and leaves reqd there, even a rare one like the cuckoo pint! fat chance now!!! later progressing to taking girlfriends up for a "walk". the memories linger on.  remember durango too;a p.i.t.a.!

stevieboy

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »
As far as I am aware, I had a Great Uncle called Davy Scott who worked for the Cunninghams at Glencairn, as head groom. I also believe his brother worked for the Cunninghams as a chauffeur.
I have many fond memories of the `old Glencairn` as it was.

Great photos, Sonof: Brings back many a memory of the Old Glencairn before they built that terrible housing estate that no one wanted to live in. Largest cul-de-sac in Europe.
 :angry2:

glenb

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »
Can't remember a foxes tongue, but do remember if you brought in a foxes tail....I'm a Catholic and remember collecting wood from the Glencairn for the bonfires on the 12th

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 01:53:11 AM »
My daddy used to up very early in the morning to go up the Glencairn and pick mushrooms.  Also he used to pick watercress.  I remember picking blackberries but my favourite thing in my childhood was to go up the Glencairn and pick primroses or bluebells whichever were in season.

Thanks for the great photos.

msw1

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 08:06:15 PM »

Great photos, Sonof: Brings back many a memory of the Old Glencairn before they built that terrible housing estate that no one wanted to live in. Largest cul-de-sac in Europe.
 >:D
Stevieboy I dont know where you got the idea no one wanted to live in Glencairn
 Glencairn was a god send at the beginning for people moving from 2 bedroom houses with outside toilets on the Shankill, when I moved there,  only a handful off houses where  build, I lived in Glencairn way and they built from there up and down the road, It was a fantastic place when you where a kid, and don't forget alot of the people came from New Barnsley,