Author Topic: photo taken Carrick Hill area late 1930's  (Read 5743 times)

kellie

photo taken Carrick Hill area late 1930's
« on: February 13, 2011, 06:54:42 AM »
my ma (Josephine Madine)  is in the front in the check dress she grew up on California street (born 1927)
The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart

St.Anthony

Re: photo taken Carrick Hill area late 1930's
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 02:03:49 PM »
Was this taken in Wall Street along the park wall.  (Kellie there is a thread on Carrick Hill)

Grannylil

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:37:58 PM »
Kellie,

I've been offline for a while and I just noticed your Carrickhill photo. I am from California Street and I knew your Mum's family.  Do you happen to know the names of anyone else in the photo? I would love to know who they are.

pentio

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:22:29 AM »
my ma (Josephine Madine)  is in the front in the check dress she grew up on California street (born 1927)

kellie

What a wonderful old photo, thanks for sharing it. :good:

belle

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:30:05 PM »
kellie, i would like some of the names too if you have them. my daddy was from Stanhope Street.
it's a brilliant photo, thanks  :air_kiss:
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

kellie

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:02:27 PM »
No sorry don't know the names of others. I was hoping someone on here would know someone else in the photo.
Grannylil You knew my mum's family  :smile: would love to hear any stories (mum has passed on and so miss her stories). am trying to do my family tree but can't find anything about mum's side :(
Sorry  st anthony don't know where it was taken. have more photos will upload soon

The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart

ray56

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »
No sorry don't know the names of others. I was hoping someone on here would know someone else in the photo.
Grannylil You knew my mum's family  :smile: would love to hear any stories (mum has passed on and so miss her stories). am trying to do my family tree but can't find anything about mum's side :(
Sorry  st anthony don't know where it was taken. have more photos will upload soon

Yes that's definitley Wall St, by the school playground and about opposite John Cleary's shop. I lived at no. 38. We've got some photos taken against the same wall, but a few years later.

jk

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »
my grandma came from carick hill, stanhope st or wall st.Turk was her name she married john kelly and lived in getty st. could anyone have information.

Grannylil

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
Kellie,
I did'nt know you Mum personally, but I remember her calling to the family home. I was a child living at number 33 California Street.  I do remember her younger sister, Jean (I think) and brother , Harry.  I'm sure I spoke to Jean about a year ago, in a large DIY store. There are still a couple of elderly neighbours around, who would remember more about the Madines.  I knew your Granny Madine quite well.  She used to be called the local "rapper-up" (meaning she was the earliest riser in the street, and would knock on doors in the early morning to get people up for work). My Aunt depended on her to be up on time for her job at Greeve's Mill.     

kellie

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 06:19:12 AM »
thanks for the info Granny.  mum did have a brother Harry but he was killed riding his bike when he was about 8.  but her neice and nephew Jean and Harry lived with them because their mum was very sick after Harry birth ,  I have been trying to get in touch with Jean for a while now.... I have found a lot of my relatives on FB (well mainly their kids) love this site there is so much information on it have a great day
GEraldine

jenny71

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
hi my great gran mother was from  wall street she lived in 37  you called her sarah gallagher  she had two sons tommy and jimmy i have been looking picture does anyone  know where i can get them  thank s for your help
 :)

Gorettio

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 02:48:48 PM »

Gorettio

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 02:52:12 PM »
the man in the back row third from right is my Granda harry mc corry who was married to Mariah mc corry my mum was Winnie mc geown

Grannylil

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 05:52:02 PM »
Gorettio,

I knew your Granny, Granda and Mum Winnie. They lived next door to my family in Wall street.  Winnie used to help look after us when my Mum got ill.  I was best friends with Sheila. I remember when your Mum and Dad got married and also, when you were born. Later, your Aunt Sheila would push you in the pram and sometimes let me help. I also remember that they had a dog called "Snowy".
Is your Granda the one with the blonde, wavy hair? I don't recall him having that colour of hair.(Of course, when I knew him, he was much older).  Can you name anyone else in the photo?  I recognize faces who show striking similarities to some "Hillfolk" I knew in the next generation, but can't be sure.  How did you acquire the picture? (Would love to know).

Gorettio

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 08:06:44 AM »
Grannylil
I got this picure in the book green peas and barleyo and there are pictures in it of my great grandparents called Waters standing at the door of no46 wall st...that's where I was born....My Aunt Sheila ...passed away a few years ago...only Oliver lft now and he lives in England...My Dad is living on Peters Hill in the fold there...go back and see him often