Author Topic: Belfast to Australia  (Read 42393 times)

ormeau bap

Re: Belfast to Australia
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
woodstock boy read your post. i am not in australia,but i worked h j scotts. ilive in usa left belfast 1961

woodstock boy

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 02:47:55 AM »
ormeau bap,
 Hi what is your name ?? mine is norman scott [ no relation ] but I didn't start until I was  15 yrs in 1960 so might not have known you.
     woodstock boy.

balticboy_10@virginbroadb

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 12:08:34 AM »
 ::) ::)  does this count? Baltic St.East to Birmingham. Nuneaton. London. then OZ. that journey took 10 years.
'jaybee'

ormeau bap

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »
woodstock boy,My maiden name was J

ormeau bap

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 12:28:09 AM »
Woodstock Boy,sorry about my last post ,my maiden name was Jean Allingham I worked  in the transformer room 1957-1961

Sandgroper

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 11:24:22 AM »
:o  Hi All.
 I left Belfast in 1970 for Australia, any old Hugh J Scott's workers out there ???

Woodstock  Boy.
G'day  woodstock boy
Originally from the shankill . Started in H J 's arround 1957 as a pre-apprentice. However never made it to be an actual apprentice as I was told they didn't think they could afford me.
Just because I packed a terminal box with iron borings one lunch break and when it was switched on after the break it blew up and took all the other machines on the same system with it.
The only name I remember was a bloke called Ernie who was in charge of  the apprentices
I am now in Bunbury, a few hundred kms south of Perth West Oz

Sg

Jim Gilmer

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 01:12:32 AM »
Lived in the Woodvale Park Park area. .200 meters beyond where the Shankill Road ended.

Sandgroper

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 02:32:04 AM »
Lived in the Woodvale Park Park area. .200 meters beyond where the Shankill Road ended.
Jim
I'm from nth howard st
where are you living now
Sg

Jim Gilmer

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 05:11:55 AM »
Hi SG

I live in Geelong (Victoria)   50kms SW of Melbourne, in a rural suburb called LARA.

Please refresh my memory....where was Nth Howard St

woodstock boy

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012, 05:13:34 AM »
Ormeau Bap,
 My wife started in the transformer shop in 1961, the foreman was called Stevenson some other names, Ian Gawley Milton Moore also Ena Graham in stores, you might have known some of those names, as they had been around for quite a while.

woodstock boy.

woodstock boy

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 05:22:34 AM »
sandgroper,
 I remember the bloke in charge of the apprentices, his name was Ernie Seymoir, they started you of on the Drilling Machines for a while, I left in 1970, a Tradesman Fitter and was away to oz [ sydney ]

woodstock boy.

Sandgroper

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »
Hi SG

I live in Geelong (Victoria)   50kms SW of Melbourne, in a rural suburb called LARA.

Please refresh my memory....where was Nth Howard St
Jim
I actually lived in Fourth street. The number streets 1st to 10th ran between Nth Howard and Conway streets. There was no 2nd street though.
Nth Howard ran from the shankill just below the police station down to the Falls at the Falls road baths

woodstock boy
I never progressed past the drilling machines but one thing I remember was cleaning the machines with kerosene every Friday afternoon
I ended up as a machinist at Mackies and then BHP paid my fare out to Oz in the early 60's as a fitter and turner  at Port Kembla

Sg

ormeau bap

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 04:27:49 PM »
Woodstock Boy.Irember all those names. Does your wife recall Ester christie, Robert Douglas,wee lily cant remember her last name.

Desandel

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 01:02:42 AM »
Hi Just reading about H J Scotts.  My brothers worked there around the same time so maybe you know them.  Terry and Ian McKibbin.  Terry is now in Canada and Ian in Bangor NI. Cheers.

woodstock boy

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 05:14:52 AM »
Hi Desandel,
  I remember Terry Mc Kibben well he was a Turner while I was a Fitter, nice bloke I left Scotts in 1970 for Australia, my wife Celine worked in Transformer Shop, and I knew she had previously dated Terry Mc Kibben before me how's that, you can ask him.
                               Woodstock boy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy