Author Topic: Belfast to Australia  (Read 37888 times)

woodstock boy

Re: Belfast to Australia
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 05:19:29 AM »
Ormeau Bap,
 My wife does remember Ester Christie also Wee Lily, not sure of Richard Douglas though,

Woodstock boy.

Desandel

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 08:19:53 AM »
Hi WB
Fancy that.  Had a laugh about the girlfriend.   Terry was very popular with the girls.  We used to get young girls coming to the door asking for him.  He was in a band and is still playing the guitar.  We are living in New Zealand so haven't met up all together since 1998.  Have seen Ian when visiting Bangor over the years.  Think Ian was in the drawing office at H J's. Thanks for that.  I'll let terry know. Eleanor

Desandel

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2012, 01:47:28 PM »
Hi WB
Spoke to Terry McKibbin on Skype today and mentioned your wife Celine, but unfortunately he can't put a face to her name.  Too long ago for him.  He said there were 3 Normans in HJ's but didn't know their surnames.
Hope you are still enjoying the forum.  So much to read about Belfast and all the things you have forgotten and the great sayings.
Bye Eleanor

woodstock boy

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2012, 06:50:09 AM »
desandel,
When you next talk to Terry ask him about  babysitting for Big Tom Graham, at Belvoir Park I think, and Celine was with him that  night, by the way my surname was Scott and

edmor

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2012, 06:57:43 AM »
:o  Hi All.
 I left Belfast in 1970 for Australia, any old Hugh J Scott's workers out there ???

Woodstock  Boy.
  Woodstock Boy did you happen to know a Bobby Beggs who worked in Scotts  around 1961, he was an app. electrician ?
Pox vobiscum     Savagin'  done....chape.    Hillbillies caint spel     Proud to be a usual suspect     REM 1697

woodstock boy

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2012, 05:19:25 AM »
edmor,
 That was the same time as I started, the name sounds familuar but I can't put a face to it sorry.
                    Woodstock boy.

Desandel

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2012, 06:33:58 AM »
Hi WB
Eleanor here.  I asked my brother Terry again about Celine and the babysitting.  He still can't remember any babysitting or Celine.  He thinks she may have him mixed up with someone else.  Celine is an unusual name for NI and Terry usually has a great memory.  Some time it will sink in I am sure.  He has asked what year you started so I'll tell him it was 1961 I see from previous threads.  Take care.

Rob1943

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:22 AM »
I lived in Cranbrook Gardens top of junction of Crumlin, Shankle and Woodvale Ave and I left Belfast in 1959 and went to Melbourne where I am presently  :)
Belfast born and shall love it till my last day :)

Sandgroper

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »
welcome to the forum Rob
You're sure to meet a lot of friendly people here

Sg

Dockominiums

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
Hello Landofoz Was your mothers maiden nameCanning. If so I think our mothers were cousins.I came from Sailorstown to Melbourne 45 yeas ago.   From Dockominiums

woodstock boy

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 07:07:11 AM »
desandel,
 It might come back to him sometime, I norman scott was an apprentice Fitter, ask him about fellow Turner,  Tucker Miller he was about the same age as Terry and I, can just see Terry as he worked on a Lathe close to the Verticles [ drilling  machines ]  Ernie  Seymore  was in charge of the Drilling M/cs  also another name  Roy Mc Fadden.   
 Cheers, Woodstock boy.

Rob1943

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2012, 07:57:22 AM »
Thanks SandGroper,

I'm so glad to have found this site as even going thru some of the photo's provided here have got my we old grey cells working again  ???   I'm looking forward to reading ALL the threads and that should keep me off the streets for some time to come.

Cheers, Rob
Belfast born and shall love it till my last day :)

Desandel

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2012, 08:13:18 AM »
Hi WB
I'll ask Terry again about those people you mention.
Terry was warned by his mother to watch himself around machinery so I am glad he survived 50 years of using various machines.  The reason she warned him was that his grandfather was caught by his sleeve and pulled into a milling machine in the shipyard (1943) and was crushed to death.  Gruesome eh.  Terry worked in a paper mill in Canada before retiring so pretty dangerous work.
Take care Eleanor

woodstock boy

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2012, 03:36:17 AM »
Desandel,  Eleanor
  Yes  good advise, working on any M/c can be dangerous I think that's why I choose to be a Fitter, nice to hear from you again.
                           Woodstock boy. ;)

Sandgroper

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2012, 06:41:16 AM »
Hi
 I worked permanent nights in the drilling shop for a coupla years and I remember one night I was operating a radial drill and over in the corner about 20 feet away an old bloke whose name I cant for the life of me remember was working on a horizontal borer which was using a huge drill. At least one and three quarter inches.
He called out to me asking if I could come over for a minute so I looked over and he was bending over the job. I said OK be there in a minute and finished off the job I was doing and dandered over. When I got there the whole front of his overalls was wrapped round the drill  and his throat was about an inch from the bit by the time I knocked the machine off.
He never even broke a sweat. If that had been me I'd have been screaming blue murder

Sg