Author Topic: St Joseph's School - Slate Street  (Read 2878 times)

SPL

St Joseph's School - Slate Street
« on: May 11, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »
Does anyone know where  I could get some class photos for around 1920s? Also what does it mean by place of death - "Union" ? Was it a hospital or something ?
Family Names: McCavanagh, Sharkey, McKenna & Kearney

teap

Re: St Joseph's School - Slate Street
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 11:09:43 AM »
there was the Union workhouse.

colette

SPL

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 04:42:37 PM »
Colette thanks for this   Where was it located and where would I find out more details about my great great grandfather entering it ?

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »
Hiya SPL,

Welcome to the Forum.

PRONI holds exensive records hold extensive records for twenty eight Poor Law Unions (BG) and the workhouses that operated in the area now covered by Northern Ireland. These include the minute books, admission and discharge registers, registers of births and deaths and the outdoor relief registers.

Christopher 

teap

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 06:52:42 PM »
Colette thanks for this   Where was it located and where would I find out more details about my great great grandfather entering it ?

Hi SPl
The Union Workhouse was 51 Lisburn Road, It is now the City Hospital. Where are you living at the minute? and what year did your ancestor die?

look at this link and click on the list on the left for more info
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Belfast/Belfast.shtml

Colette

SPL

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 08:24:52 PM »
I'm still in Belfast. Great Great Granda Sharkey died in Jan 1909. The family are originally from 19 Bombay St. I don't think he was destitute as the family still lived in the house up to at least 1923 when my Great Granda Patrick (who was a barber) died in the house. It could have been that Gt Gt Granny threw him out  ??? However the family did take his body back and buried him in Milltown in the family grave. Would the records Colette in Balmoral Ave say why he was in the Union ?

agideo

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 11:28:32 PM »
Does anyone know where  I could get some class photos for around 1920s? Also what does it mean by place of death - "Union" ? Was it a hospital or something ?

I maybe wrong but I dont think St.Joseph's school Slate Street was there in the 1920s
        Pat
Happiness is not getting what you want it's wanting what you have.

teap

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 11:49:47 PM »
Oh dear SPl the records will indeed give his admission date reason for admission and date of discharge or in his case death but there is a 100 year rule and you will nort be able to view the indoor relief book untill after January 1909.  :(
My grt granny had a baby in the workhouse in 1904 and thats how i know  :-\ and she died in 1908 in 18 Leoville street just round the corner from your grt grt granda Sharkey.
Maybe you could phone PRONI and ask about viewing the indoor relief book for 1909 see if they would maybe bend the rules a bit.?

Colette

Mageeka

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 02:27:33 AM »
SPL
Are you in anyway related to a Tommy Sharkey who worked in Machetts music store, Wellington Places in the 1950s ?

boxer1949

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 04:05:43 PM »
          I maybe wrong but I dont think St.Joseph's school Slate Street was there in the 1920s
        Pat
1930 slate st school was build

Bread Basket

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 09:55:45 AM »
https://www.sailortownregeneration.com/             https://www.sailortownregeneration.com/our-story-1

https://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/events/Event-105670.aspx

Good morning James,
There is a slight confusion with St Joseph’s school in Slate St & St Joseph’s Church at the Docks (in I the area referred to most times as Sailortown). They are both completely different places, about 1 mile apart as the crow flies.
St Joseph’s Church had 2 primary schools which were attended by children from the area. The main school was Earl St School which when first set up after National Schools ended catered for all children, boys and girls up to the leaving school ages (14).
 However, sometime in the 50’s a second school was set up on the Shore Road and this is where the confusion lies, it was named St Joseph’s 😳. This school was for boys only. When boys reached the age of around 8 year olds they left Earl St and went to St Joseph’s until the age of 11. Secondary & Grammar schools were up and running then and the boys then went off to those for their further education.

Hope this makes sense.