Author Topic: Holy Family primary school  (Read 10063 times)

Aussie

Holy Family primary school
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »
I went to Holy family primary school 1967 to 1970,I think the teacher was Mrs Hughes.Always scared me, this teacher.

lilylou

• Account Closed
Re: Holy Family primary school
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:14:44 PM »
I went to Holy Family school ,from p1 until I was 9 years old (I was born in 1963) so around the same time as you .Can't remember much about the school but I can remember the walk to get there. Through Dunmore and the park .I was always tempted to stay in the park all day ,I wonder why  ;) .

stickyra

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »
I was there from '71 to '73. Cacky (McCaughan) was the principal. My teacher was Kelly. I remember Lavery, Rafferty and Paddy Cassidy too.  Hey Lillylou we were probably there at the same time even though it was segregated. You might know my wife or her younger sisters.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

lilylou

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 02:09:30 PM »
Hi Stickyra ,hope your well luv .I don't remember a lot about that school .I do remember the church as you entered the gates and there was a row of trees on the right but I can't remember the names of the other kids .I do remember I hated it and had to be dragged there everyday by my older brother (Gerald) .

buttercup

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:05:52 AM »
Why did you  hate it I had a good friend who taught there , in the 70,s  John Rice .

lilylou

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 05:34:52 PM »
I should have said "I hated all my schools" .I didn't find it fun and I was caned to many times .

McNamee

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 05:36:17 PM »
Now why does that not surprise me. lo. 

I also hated school.

How are you doing Lilylou, behaving I hope. ;) ;)

kevben

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 07:06:17 PM »
i went from 66 to 72,miss cassidy,was my first teacher was taught most of the time joe lavery,a great teacher.

lilylou

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 08:57:50 AM »
Now why does that not surprise me. lo. 

I also hated school.

How are you doing Lilylou, behaving I hope. ;) ;)

Sorry Bernie , just seeing that now .

I'm grand thanks and I always behave ,it's others that think I don't  ;)

I see you had a great holiday ,looking forward to seeing the pics .

Hope your keeping well  :smile:

JM BOY

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 09:03:48 AM »
Going by all the dates that I've seen, I would be a fair bit older. I was at Holy Family from 1953. Mr. Cush was the Head Master. He would arrive in the mornings and stand for a short time at the row of trees facing the playground, then go into the main building. A few minutes later he would appear at the top of the steps with the school bell in his hand and decide which one of the throng of pupils, standing at the bottom of the steps with their arms outstretched, to give the bell to. The "lucky" one would then walk around the yard, ringing the bell, while everyone else had to line up in their class line. The odd morning, Mr Cush would have a previously broken (cracked) bell to hand out and of course, everyone would have a great laugh at whoever got it, walking around with the bell making a horrible  dull "Clacking" sound instead of ringing.
My first teacher was Miss Cleery (hope that the spelling is correct). She had one of those miniature hand bells on her desk. When a visitor came into the class for a conversation with her, the noise would obviously build up in the class. Miss Cleery would ring the bell as she continued her conversation and the class would fall silent. Naturally the noise would build up again and the bell would be rung again, with the same result. However, when it was rung for the third time, there would be a much longer silence, because every one of us knew that we were due a slap on each hand from Miss Cleery's strap when the visitor left. My other teachers were Mr. Doolan, Mr. McCaughan and the best of all, Mr. Kelly, whose classroom was one of the huts up on the girls playground. He also used to take us for music (singing), while we were in Mr. Doolan's class. The other hut adjoining his was Mr. McCann's. While we were in Mr. Kelly's class, there was a teacher called Mr. Munion, who taught us Irish and also encouraged us to form the first Gaelic Football team at the school. Great memories that I love to go back on.

Seaview

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:20 AM »
I was there 1950-56..remember Miss Cleary well....she enjoyed a smoke behind her big desk...and her strap  when I left out the last letter of my name once! I was in Senior Infants then. Moved onto McCaughan,Dooly,
McKeown.Enjoyed my time there.

landofoz

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »
I startedin Baby infants ab out 1950 and then senior infants with miss redmond,  miss hoy, miss gallaher ,miss o hagan ,and miss collins was the head teacher.
Gee i didnt think my memory was that good  :D
i lived in atlantic ave
G'Day from the land down under

Seaview

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 11:31:51 AM »
Then you would have been in the sacred ground of the girls' playground for which I remember being strapped for daring to enter!! Atlantic Ave had Doherty, McLaverty, Carlin that I remember.

JM BOY

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »
Hi Landofoz,
I was only a 2 year old in 1950. You would have been one of the seniors when I first started. Not that it would have made much difference. One of the main reasons that Mr. Cush stood at the trees facing the lower playground (see my previous reply) was the clear view up to the top girls' playground - just to clarify that!! He made sure that none of the senior boys were drifting from their top playground over to the girls. If he had spotted anyone, they were summoned to his office. You probably would have known Mrs. McCrudden from Atlantic Avenue. I think that she taught elocution in the Little Flower in later years. My mum used to work as a cleaner in her house. We lived in North Belfast. I was back recently to Holy Family on a voluntary basis, delivering "Our Nation" training through Young Enterprise Northern Ireland. I was a bit disappointed, in that because it was my old primary school, I had arranged a presentation of the course certificates, along with eats and treats in the customer events area of the company that I work for. The teacher never ever got back to me with dates. It was something special to me but it was quite a let down in the end. It certainly won't take away from the great school memories.

landofoz

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 12:03:55 PM »
yes  i know The Carlins , Brendan was a great singer.
 mrs mc crudden knew her and went  to her classes for elecoution
i think i would need to go back for E :D nglish lessons
my brothers all went to holy family  Lawrence Bannon was my twin, he passed away at 45 yrs ( Cancer) Dominic was killed in a motor bike accident at 24 RIP
G'Day from the land down under