Author Topic: McCallum/Apsley family history  (Read 2416 times)

cargocult2007

McCallum/Apsley family history
« on: May 12, 2007, 07:20:08 PM »
As a wee sideline to my http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,3525.0.html :), could I ask if anyone knows anything on the above family trail in Ireland? Charles McCallum and Martha Apsley were married somewhere in Ireland between 1834 and 1838 approx. (the births of two of their children (Sarah and Anne resp.). Between these dates they came over to Scotland and settled in Glasgow. I got this from census returns here. According to the same census, Charles and Martha were born around 1811 and 1810 resp.  ???
He who knows he has enough is rich. LAO-TZU.

acheux_rifleman

Re: McCallum family history
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 07:46:29 PM »
Hi there cargocult2007 and a belated welcome to the forum.

If you ever establish a later link to the McCallum family - with branches in Belfast or Portadown, circa 1900-1920, let me know.

I have two brothers McCallum in my research - quite alot of information and pictures of both men - who fought and died in the Great War.

If this info is of any use, just let me know.

Best Wishes and 'welcome' once again,

Acheux.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further - it may be
Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
Across that angry or t

cargocult2007

Re: McCallum family history
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 09:52:19 PM »
Hi Acheux :)

My more recent McCallums all lived in the west of Scotland between Govan, Tradeston (Glasgow) and Port Glasgow (after they moved here between 1834 & 1838) so far. I don't know if that helps? Best wishes.

Christopher

Re: McCallum/Apsley family history
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 10:27:55 PM »
As a wee sideline to my http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,3525.0.html :), could I ask if anyone knows anything on the above family trail in Ireland? Charles McCallum and Martha Apsley were married somewhere in Ireland between 1834 and 1838 approx. (the births of two of their children (Sarah and Anne resp.). Between these dates they came over to Scotland and settled in Glasgow. I got this from census returns here. According to the same census, Charles and Martha were born around 1811 and 1810 resp.  ???

Hello cargocult,

Apsley is not a common name in Irleand. I used the ALL facility to do a search of Griffith's Valuation on John Hayes failteromhat.com site and found that the only Apsleys were located in Carrickfergus and Templepatrick.

Rep. William Apsley, West Division, Carrickfergus. Antrim
Robert Apsley, Craigarogan, Templepatrick.Antrim
Richard Apsley, St Bride's St., Middle Division, Carrickfergus. Antrim
Wm. Apsley, Middle Division, Carrickfergus. Antrim
Alexander Apsley, Irish Quarter South, Carrickfergus. Antrim

Christopher

cargocult2007

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 11:02:39 PM »
Hi Christopher :),

I think I've said this before - you're a star!

At least you've managed to give me a wee hope of a start in tracking them down. What period would these records cover, Christopher, or is there no way of pinpointing this?

Best wishes

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 11:37:45 PM »
The Valuation took place in Antrim in 1861-62

I've another Apsley for you ... William John Apsley opened a shop in Larne in 1903. The end of an era took place on 30th June 1990 when George and Llewellyn Apsley sold the Apsley newsagency on Main Street, Larne
www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/antrim/A1081441.shtml

Search the 1912 Ulster Covenant too as it was signed by eighty three people named Apsley. http://applications.proni.gov.uk/UlsterCovenant/Search.aspx

Liam McFaul of Irish Genealogy on the Net may be able to assist as he's originally from Larne and I see there was a Nancy McFaul working in Apsleys of Larne http://tinyurl.com/5grv7p

Christopher

Jeannie

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 11:50:40 PM »

Don't know if this is of any help but as far as I know there are Apsleys still living in Carrickfergus. The family I am thinking of lived on the Belfast Road, next to Legg Park.

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 11:56:46 PM »

Don't know if this is of any help but as far as I know there are Apsleys still living in Carrickfergus. The family I am thinking of lived on the Belfast Road, next to Legg Park.

192.com shows three Apsleys in Carrickfergus

Carrickfergus - Belfast and Ulster Towns Directory for 1910
Andrew Apsley, farmer, Glynpark
Robert Apsley, farmer, Duncrue
William Apsley, blacksmith, Irish Quarter South

McNamee

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »
There is also another Apsley on Larne Road at Eden in Carrickfergus. 

cargocult2007

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 11:44:10 AM »
Thanks Christopher, Jeannie and McNamee :D,

What a team! The power of the people right enough!

I can see I'll be spending some time on the phone today - or maybe it would be better at the weekend when there should be someone at home.

Christopher you mentioned you use of John Hayes failteromhat.com. Can anyone use this site or do you have to be a member? I haven't heard of this before, so I wondered if it could be searched for my other family branches (Cunningham, Rourke, McCallum, Shearman and McCracken) or is it county specific?

Regards to all

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 02:02:14 PM »
Hello cargocult,

John Hayes site is free for anyone to use.

Christopher

cargocult2007

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 05:22:37 PM »
Hi Christopher :),

Cool - I just had a wee go at accessing the site and it looks promising. No new info. as yet, but I'll keep at it.

Thanks again, man.

Christopher

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 05:29:47 PM »
Dr Norman Apsley is the CEO of the Northern Ireland Science Park Foundation
www.ecit.qub.ac.uk/Aboutus/AdvisoryBoard

cargocult2007

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 05:39:33 PM »
Great, Christopher,

I wonder if he is a weaver as well :)? Lots of my Irish forebears were. Just a thought, are there any weaver-related sites which I could search online to maybe locate some of these missing bods?

Thanks again.

Christopher

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 06:02:15 PM »
I don't think that The Irish Weaver's from Co. Cork would interest you from a genealogy point of view. They're musicians. A number of Irish weavers emigrated to France, Holland, Portugal and Spain in the 1600s. The Protestants settled in France where they received protection from Louis XIV although the Edict of Nantes had been revoked. They also settled in Holland and the Catholics settled in Portugal and Spain where they started businesses.http://tinyurl.com/64fq5n
"A History of the Commercial and Financial Relations between England and Ireland" by Alice Effie Murray which was published in 1970   

Many of the people listed on the 1796 Flax Growers List (also known as the Spinning Wheel Census) would have been weavers.  www.failteromhat.com/flax1796.php