Author Topic: Anyone remember Sydney Hamilton at Mossley Primary  (Read 59730 times)

JimIGS

Re: Anyone remember Sydney Hamilton at Mossley Primary
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 10:44:37 PM »
I can't remember a Miss Hinton at Ballyclare High but most of my teachers were of the male variety except for Rosie Fleming my French teacher. There was an art teacher whose name I can't remember but I gave up art after the 1st year. I did get your posting re Ronnie, there is nothing worse than a young child of that age going out of your life. I know that too well as my younger brother was killed on the road in front of our house when he was just 4 years old. Another boy who everybody seemed to know, his funeral was massive for those days (the late forties), my eyes are full of tears just thinking about him, sentimental old fool 64 years later.
I need some advice on sending a PM to you, which is pretty dumb of me as I have been working with computers for the past 20 odd years or so.
It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

CMcG

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 11:23:44 AM »
Hi there, CMcG here, does the name "McGaffin" from Mossley strike any chord???

CMcG

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »
Hi JimIGS, would welcome any other memories you have, for example, at school in Mossley, where did you eat for lunch? Do you remember the train line to Belfast from the playground? Any little thing at all would give us a thrill!!!

sandymc

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 02:10:09 AM »
my aunt and uncle lived in mossley all their lives and my uncle worked as a groundsman or caretaker in mossley mill.
i spent my school holidays with them as my mum and dad were both working. i played with three lots of kids whose mothers were all sisters cecilia mckeown and i think jennifer whose mum owned a wee shop on the way up to carntall . their cousins were mckinstry and for the life of me i cant remember the other family's name.
my aunt and uncle were fanny and sandy thompson.

CMcG

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 04:06:27 AM »
SandyMc, the other name is possibly Hamill. Mrs McKinstry, McKeown, and Hamill were well known in Mossley. My late father was a bowler and therefore friendly with Davy McKinstry and Jimmy McKeown. Davy McKinstry even took our family once to the seaside for our holiday, before my father got a car. The woman-folk all worked in the mill, regularly attended Mossley Church of Ireland and lived on each others doorstep a few hundred yards up the Carntall Road just about where the houses run out. Can't remember the name of the shop exactly but it was something like "Buttons and Bows" (the small building is still there to the side of the McKinstry's bungalow). Davy McKinstry is to the right of this 1968 photo of a Mossley Bowling Club competition.

CMcG

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 05:41:04 AM »
Somebody mentioned Mossley Hockey Club before and I just remembered I have an old photo - it's before most folk's time, but someone may recognise the names (which I'll post after this).

CMcG

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 05:43:22 AM »
The photo was taken in 1936, here are the names scribbled on the back.

sandymc

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »
SandyMc, the other name is possibly Hamill. Mrs McKinstry, McKeown, and Hamill were well known in Mossley. My late father was a bowler and therefore friendly with Davy McKinstry and Jimmy McKeown. Davy McKinstry even took our family once to the seaside for our holiday, before my father got a car. The woman-folk all worked in the mill, regularly attended Mossley Church of Ireland and lived on each others doorstep a few hundred yards up the Carntall Road just about where the houses run out. Can't remember the name of the shop exactly but it was something like "Buttons and Bows" (the small building is still there to the side of the McKinstry's bungalow). Davy McKinstry is to the right of this 1968 photo of a Mossley Bowling Club competitionhello
hello CMcG
that name is right and as soon as i read it i remembered i remembered brian and margaret hamill who i also played with in fact margaret stayed with me when i stated with my aunt and uncle and i remember their mum who i called aunt lizzie their family was one of the first to have a television and there used to be about fourteen of us watching.
my aunt and uncle lived in one of the houses on up carntall road and then they moved to one of the wee cottages just coming into mossley from belfast before the bridge
on our first tripback from oz they had moved into mossley estate.
what memories this has brought back.
sandymc

CMcG

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »
SandyMc, when you say "...then they moved to one of the wee cottages just coming into Mossley from Belfast before the bridge..." was it Lodge Row as below (the houses are rendered, when I was young they were brick, the road bridge for cars to cross over the railway line veers to the right at the rear of the photo)?

CMcG

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 02:37:31 PM »
... Or was it the "Sunnyside" row of houses, which was just up from the Orange Hall (in the background), faced onto the old Mill and had a bridge opposite it, immediately beside the old primary school? (this photo from 1982)

CMcG

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »
... Or was it the little row of house immediate to the entrance to the Mill (whose name I have temporarily forgotten - another Werther's Original moment! Nurse!!!)

CMcG

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 02:45:11 PM »
SandyMc, I wasn't far off at all, "Buttons 'n' Bows was what it was called and here it is!

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 10:22:17 PM »
SandyMc, I wasn't far off at all, "Buttons 'n' Bows was what it was called and here it is! Oh my goodness is this recent pic?

We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

CMcG

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 10:34:46 PM »
Yes, indeed it is SandyMc, the house passed into new hands within the last year or so, but the wee shop has been unused and boarded up for years now.

sandymc

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 01:48:50 AM »
Yes, indeed it is SandyMc, the house passed into new hands within the last year or so, but the wee shop has been unused and boarded up for years now.
hello CMcG
yes my aunt and uncle lived in lodge row, it looks so different now when our first child was born my husband and i used to walk up the whitewell road through glengormley and down to that little house and then my dad would pick us up at night and drive us home.
the wee shop i remember it too and all the families i mentioned lived across the road in a row of houses and i think the mother of all the sisters lived in that row as well.
the things we remember because i just saw the teacher at mossley thread and came on and now i have a photo of
places i thought i would never see again.
thank you for posting the photos.
sandymc