Author Topic: Anyone remember Sydney Hamilton at Mossley Primary  (Read 59731 times)

CMcG

Re: Anyone remember Sydney Hamilton at Mossley Primary
« Reply #375 on: November 22, 2016, 08:57:26 AM »
What is interesting in the previous 1944 newspaper article (apart from the mention of Mrs Frame, who taught me!) is that when I went to the school in the 1960s, midday meals were held in the Orange Hall across the road, then we moved to the Mill Canteen, so clearly something had happened to cause a move to the Orange Hall, before the move back again to the Mill Canteen.

george4433

« Reply #376 on: December 13, 2016, 03:13:21 AM »
i lived in mussentown....just over the field from mossleys grass pitch. .i used to go across the pitch on my way to sunnyside. .mcculloughs wee shop in sunnyside. .1966 mossley 2nds won the irish junior cup. .brian hamill....davie mckinstry.

george4433

« Reply #377 on: December 13, 2016, 03:17:47 AM »
bob mckinstry has a grocery shop halfway up the carntall road. ..and there was buttons and bows. .owned by norman mccalmonts wife cecilia. ..

Roadracer

« Reply #378 on: December 16, 2016, 12:03:30 AM »
I only seen the cottages after they where uninhabited, from memory there was two sets and a stone well, old Bob Stevenson called it Upper and Lower Mussentown. As kids we brought the cows in for milking on Brysons farm. In summer the tractor and trailer used the laneway through the cottages to collect the hay, this was around 1971. James was running the farm then.

Roadracer

« Reply #379 on: December 16, 2016, 05:32:27 AM »
Yes I do remember him, he was the headmaster when I went to Mossley Primary.

McNamee

« Reply #380 on: December 16, 2016, 09:50:29 AM »

Guys could you try and liven it up just a little, we're all in danger of dying from extreme boredom. By the way does anyone remember Sydney?

If he was a tall, sort of stooped gentleman, then I remember him. My children went there for a few years 1978/79...and was he interested in Music?????  All these questions... ;)

georghihagi23

« Reply #381 on: December 27, 2016, 05:25:02 AM »
does any remember davy telfords wee shop at the top of the manse road???????

Roadracer

« Reply #382 on: December 28, 2016, 11:59:18 PM »
I don't remember it but some I know do, apparently it closed about 1970. On the junction with Glebe Road. So far no photo's have turned up.

Abm30

« Reply #383 on: July 12, 2018, 09:14:35 AM »
Hi there...I know this thread hasn't been posted on for a long time but I stumbled across it and I have found it fascinating! My family currently own The Castle that Sydney Hamilton used to live in and I'm currently trying to do some reach into the building! The mentions of The Castle on this thread are brilliant and the maps are so interesting! If anyone has anymore information or photos of The Castle I would love to put together all the puzzle pieces! I am especially intrigued about why it is called 'The Castle' and who lived in it before Sydney Hamilton!

The Castle is now used as a daycare nursery called The Nursery and while the building has been changed to suit the needs of the business, it still retains slot of its character, old fireplaces and parents who bring their children to us comment all the time about what a beautiful building it is!

Thanks in advance!
Anna

L Burns/Child

« Reply #384 on: August 24, 2018, 12:46:07 AM »
I'm married to Davy Telford grandson

Roadracer

« Reply #385 on: August 30, 2018, 07:37:00 PM »
I'm married to Davy Telford grandson
Would I be right to think you may have lived in the "Castle" once upon a time.

cookstown

« Reply #386 on: April 10, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »
cmcg can you get in touch please.  Mossley hockey club is celebrating its 90th anniversary this year.  I think you could help.  Thanks Cookstown