Author Topic: Anyone remember Sydney Hamilton at Mossley Primary  (Read 59393 times)

JimIGS

Anyone remember Sydney Hamilton at Mossley Primary
« on: March 16, 2011, 04:22:32 AM »
 :smile: I have been reading a lot from folks who lived in the Mossley - Carnmoney area. The best school teacher had to be Sydney Hamilton who taught in Mossley Primary, he was also the ScoutMaster for Mossley Boy Scouts - the best at that too. I was born there and lived there until the early sixties.
It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

CMcG

Re: Anyone remember Sydney Hamilton at Mossley Primary
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 06:07:37 PM »
Yes, I remember him well as a schoolboy of the late 1960s, a learned man, ably assisted by such stalwarts as Mrs Frame and Miss Sands.

I'd love to upload a great picture I have of him actually teaching in class but unfortunately I can't seem to get the insert image script to work for me. 

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »
Hopefully this is the picture uploaded now. The imp at the back of the class in front of the hula hoops is my slightly older brother. Taken around early 1960s I reckon.

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:17:21 AM »
I just came across this by accident and thought would share as someone may remember.  My eldest daughter fell in love at age 4yrs at playschool at Ballyduff.  My daughter started Ballyduff Primary but was so sad that the love of her life went to Mossley as his Mum was a teacher there.(Ithink)  We were so upset so soon after going to Primary school Ronnie developed cancer and passed away shortly after.  My daughter had a wee bean doll and she called it Ronnie and she is 38yrs now and still has the wee doll. We have never forgotten Ronnie and he was such a brave and lovely wee boy :(
We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

JimIGS

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 04:56:41 AM »
I apologize for not acknowledging the replies to my question about Sydney Hamilton, but as I was visiting my 2 grandkids in St. Albert in Alberta I did get around to checking the Belfast Forum. The picture posted by CMcG is a wonderful likeness of Sydney, in fact he does not look a day older than the day I left Mossley Primary to go to Ballyclare High after the "Eleven Plus ", remember that? As Patsy-Ann seemed to reside in Ballyduff she would know the Mission Hall and the Ballyduff Silver Band, I played in that band for almost 20 years. I have a thousand memories of the school (I lived around the corner in the Old Row), the mill, the dam and the swans, the park where I played tennis, hockey and badminton. I could write a book about those years spent in Mossley.

RobRoy

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »
Jim what years did you attend Ballyclare?

JimIGS

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 05:51:28 AM »
My favourite subject at school was Math but I just spent almost 5 minutes trying to figure out which years I attended Ballyclare High, so go figure, did I start at 11 years old or was it 12. I think the years were 1949-1951 and some of my teachers were Math-Stinson, Geography-Francey, History-Hooks, French-Rosie and 1 year of Latin with Taber John Davidson (one was enough). I played on the tennis team with Geordie Brown, Ivan Black and Staffie Stevenson and later at the Mossley club with Margaret :scratch_ones_head: ??? and Merrill Perry (my favourite partner at school and the next 10 years at Mossley). There were others but my memories escape me at the moment, as usual I will remember other memories when I stop, so until next time.

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 05:43:09 AM »
I apologize for not acknowledging the replies to my question about Sydney Hamilton, but as I was visiting my 2 grandkids in St. Albert in Alberta I did get around to checking the Belfast Forum. The picture posted by CMcG is a wonderful likeness of Sydney, in fact he does not look a day older than the day I left Mossley Primary to go to Ballyclare High after the "Eleven Plus ", remember that? As Patsy-Ann seemed to reside in Ballyduff she would know the Mission Hall and the Ballyduff Silver Band, I played in that band for almost 20 years. I have a thousand memories of the school (I lived around the corner in the Old Row), the mill, the dam and the swans, the park where I played tennis, hockey and badminton. I could write a book about those years spent in Mossley.

Did you play hockey for Mossley?

JimIGS

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 04:10:46 AM »
Yes I did, in fact I was lucky enough to play with Brian Gilroy, young John McKinstry, my brother Clark (and a lot of guys whose names I should remember but don't) on the Mossley second eleven team which went down to Dublin and won the Irish Junior Cup, not quite sure of the year - early sixties I think.

unityflats

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 04:48:23 AM »
Do you remembe richard and jane rash from mossley.
Having hot coffee is my habitual pleasure(with milk and 2 sugars.

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »
My cousin Sam Browne played for years for Mossley Hockey Club,  do you remember him?

JimIGS

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 10:58:49 PM »
I somehow had the feeling that we both knew somebody, of course I remember Sam. One of the times our family were flying over home from Canada (as we still say 43 years later), we were walking through the airport in Toronto when we suddenly saw somebody familiar, it was Sam and his family. I think that he had been over here for a wedding and after we took off from the runway all of a sudden somebody tapped my shoulder, it was Sam with a glass of I believe Bushmills Black Label. It was one of the many we enjoyed on lots of occasions, and since at the spiffy clubhouse built on the brickhill where Sam was smiling behind the bar. I also knew Sam sisters Olga (at Ballyclare High), Lynn at a party in Dromore at my niece's house (Lynn also went to Ballyclare High but after I did) and Christine here in Brampton at lunch times in Fortino's grocery store. I had better quit as I am not familiar enough about how much I can put in a Quick Reply.

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 11:12:50 PM »
Well well small world :smile:   It is actually his wife Alma is my cousin but I call him cousin as well.  yes they were always going back and forth for holidays.  I have been in touch with Almas sister recently as she lives close to me and they are doing well.  PM me if you want.   I was on ages ago re a lovely child Ronnie who went to Mossley for a short time maybe you remember me from that.

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 11:14:14 PM »
Ballyclare High was there a teacher Miss Hinton?

JimIGS

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 10:11:17 PM »
Sorry Unityflats I don't remember them but then I actually left Mossley in 1964 when I got married.