Author Topic: Anyone remember Sydney Hamilton at Mossley Primary  (Read 60121 times)

CMcG

Re: Anyone remember Sydney Hamilton at Mossley Primary
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 05:54:09 AM »
No problem SandyMc. Yes things look very different now, it seems like yesterday that we used to run across the old Mossley Primary School playground to look down at the railway track and watch the steam trains pass by. Now the schools gone (it's mostly replaced by a church) and indeed a large part of the Mill has gone as you can see below (which was taken during the building work). This is the rear of the Mill (the dam is out of sight to the left) and you can see the "Sunnyside" row of houses to the rear of the photo (beyond a railway track and road which are both hidden). I remember as a child that whole area was lovely, beautifully landscaped and maintained with large vegetable and fruit gardens, a beautiful old house and stableblock, loads of mature chestnut trees, etc. and now it is council offices and housing. Still, everything has to change.

If your Uncle worked in the Mill he may have known my late father - he worked there from the early 1950s to 1990'ish and we lived at the Villas opposite the dam. McGaffin by name, he's the one at the opposite end from Davy McKinstry in the photo previously posted.

sandymc

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 06:08:35 AM »
hello CMcG
i am sure my uncle sandy did know your dad as i said they lived in mossley as long as i ever knew but they are both dead now same as my mum and dad and we left belfast in 1967 and have been in australia ever since.
the memories are flooding back though was davy mckinstry wife called nellie and the sister who owned the shop was teenie i am sitting here thinking of all the lucky lumps we used to buy in the shop trying to win free sweets.
long long time ago.

CMcG

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 07:28:21 PM »
SandyMc, the 3 sisters were Teenie (Christina) McKeown, Lizzie Hamill and Nellie McKinstry. I tried to scan a photo of Teenie McKeown out of an old church magazine I have, but it was so bad there was no point. I think Nellie and Teenie are gone but Lizzie may still be alive (see below). Anyway, I found the following photo in the family album from the late 1960s of Nellie and Lizzie (if you left for Australia in 1967,they should be recognisable).

Lizzie Hamill is in the front row, 4th from left as you look at it, her right knee behind the big cup.  2nd from left as you look at the photo in the 2nd row back (with the hand on her shoulder) is Nellie McKinstry.

For info, the man's head behind the left shoulder of the woman behind Lizzie Hamill's left shoulder is Nellie McKinstry's husband Davy McKinstry. And back row, 2nd from left as you look at the photo, is my father.

I suspect Lizzie Hamill might still be alive - see this link:

http://www.newtownabbeytoday.co.uk/community/mossley_wi_marks_65th_anniversary_1_2668728

sandymc

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 04:13:10 AM »
CMcG
thank you for the photos. i dont know if you remember my aunt she was really good friends with lizzie, teenie and nellie and all of us kids played together because i spent a lot of time with them.
i am named for my uncle sandy (ALEXANDER THOMPSON) i am alexandra and my aunt was frances who we called nonie i dont know why. my mum was a mcfall from monkstown and my dad a jamison from whiteabbey.
do you know what happened to margaret hamill lizzie's daughter.
when we lived in melbourne there was a knock on our door one night and it was margaret, she was only on holiday and we gave her a lift to the train station that night.
we left for perth not long after and lost touch.
thanks again
sandymc

JimIGS

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
Hi there, CMcG here, does the name "McGaffin" from Mossley strike any chord???
Jim here,
Sorry for the delay in responding, we have family visiting from Scotland so not checking too often.
Yes I do remember the name McGaffin but my only problem is remembering details after 50 years away. The one thing I rember is that the people who lived in the villas were the department managers in the mill. My father worked in the Spinning room from the age of fourteen until he retired at I believe seventy. As you lived in the end Villa I think you lived beside the Perry family (I remember Betty, Meryl - I played Tennis with both of them, and with Harold Burns - Betty's husband. Will was a member of Ballyduff Silver Band with us (Ross Aiken-my cousin, Jack-my brother and myself). I believe there was also the Moore family close by. There was also the Wilmont family but I cannot remember if they lived in the Red or the White Row (as you probably remember we didn't call them by the name of Crescent).
You and SandyMc have saved some great pictures of Mossley and I am enjoying seeing them, unfortunately I didn't become a photographer until after we came to Canada in 1968. More comment and memories later.
It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

sandymc

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 02:11:35 AM »
hello jim
we must thank CMcG for all the photos because we didn't have a camera until i was about fifteen and i am in the process of making a family history and already i have been sent a lot from people on the forum.
my husband died just before christmas and i found the forum and made new friends and if i mention some thing or some place and some one has a photo they send it to me.
we left belfast in 1967 so making this book is a big project for me as i have not been using a computer long either.
sandymc ( sandra )

CMcG

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 07:31:33 AM »
Hi JimIGS, good to hear from you. I followed a similar pattern to you by going to Mossley Primary then Ballyclare High, albeit a few years after you (I was at Ballyclare in the 1970s - not that I want to rub it in or anything!) Apart from Mr. Hamilton, I was also taught by Mrs. Frame and Mrs. Sands. We ate lunch in the Orange Hall across the road, later that moved to the Mill Canteen and I always remember struggling to climb the steep steps up to it from the Mill Avenue!

In a previous post you mentioned a maths teacher Stinson - I wonder is that the same Ivor Stinson that taught us music studies at Ballyclare a few years later? The other teachers I remember from my era include the likes of Sam Bell (chemistry) and Herbie Mudd (english) and "Monty" (Mr. Montgomery - Latin).

Anyway, given when you left Northern Ireland, I've uploaded what I think is the closest photo of my father timewise, around 1965 - he's the one to the rear, standing on the shoulder of Glentoran's Trevor Thompson, who is delivering the bowl in Mossley Pavilion in this picture - I believe Trevor also worked in Mossley Mill for a while. My father was the Mill's Work Study Engineer, then Personnel Manager. We lived for a while in no. 8 the Villas, beside one of the rows (can't remember which). Next door in no 7 was George Perry and wife, next to them Billy and Essie Moore. Right down the far end at no 1 the Villas was Mr and Mrs Adams. We then moved to no. 5 the Villas for several decades until my father died some time ago.

Harold Burns and wife lived just up the road slightly in a big house called "The Castle" - I may be wrong, but I think Sydney Hamilton lived there at one point. The Wilmont you mentioned was also a friend of my father's - Walter Wilmont.

By the way, can you remember the two men in the Mill that were responsible for maintenance jobs, particularly painting - they were almost like a double act, seen everywhere together in their overalls and with paintpots and ladder. One of them was called Andy, but I can't remember for sure the name of the other. I remember them in particular painting the windows and drainpipes of the houses in the Villas every couple of years - the drainpipes in that ubiquitous dark green that used to be everywhere in the Mill.

Best regards.

CMcG

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »
By the way JimIGS, if you go back and look again at the photo in this thread showing 4 men standing behind a table of prizes, the man in the dark rimmed glasses being presented with something is Billy Moore, who used to live at no. 6 the Villas.

SandyMc, I'm starting to wonder if your uncle was the other man whose name I've forgotten, the one who worked with another man called Andy. I know you said he was a groundsman, is there a chance he also did maintenance / painting in the Mill?

CMcG

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
JimIGS, here's another photo where I'm having a punt that you may know someone.  It was taken in the mid 1980s... Who, you ask, would I know since I left before that?

BUT... the photo was a celebration of employees who had worked for 25 years in the Mill, so they would have been working there in or around 1960.

The caption on the back of this photo says:

BackRow L to R: W. Ritchie G. Hanna J. Hadden F.G. Barfoot M Busby W.G. McGaffin M. Boyd S. Thompson A. Hunter

Front Row L to R: M. Kerr B. Jenkins M. McIlwaine E.T Ilett J Stewart K. McIlwaine

Drawing on my own memory, Mr Barfoot and Mr Ilett were very senior management, G. Hanna was George Hanna and A Hunter was Andy Hunter - I recognise all the faces though.

You will probably recognise that this photo was taken in the Mill canteen with its white tiled walls and the same pictures on the wall since Methuselah was a lad.

Another man I remember is Gary Campbell the owner, who lived down in the old house in the Mill grounds.  Also Mr James (James not being his surname, I think he was actually James Henshall, but 'Mr James' is what he was called).

CMcG

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2011, 10:22:33 AM »
JimIGS, here's another snap to see if you recognise it.  The subjects are academic (my older brothers) but from their age I know this is late 1950s. They're in the front garden of no. 8 the Villas Mossley, so the mill dam is out of shot to the right as you look at it.  The housing to the rear must be one of the white / red rows.

CMcG

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 10:49:12 AM »
And a photo of Mossley Mill taken from the bedroom of either 5 or 8 The Villas Mossley in 1960.

CMcG

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2011, 10:51:21 AM »
And a photo of Mossley Park in 1960, in which you can see the Mill in the background...

RobRoy

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2011, 10:30:54 PM »
Hi C Mc G,
That person you say is your father was at Ballyclare High with me in the late 1950's, he also had a brother who was at Ballyclare Tech. For the life of me I cannot remember their names. I was 2 or maybe 3 years behind but we always sat together on the bus home and they were a great help to me.

Hi JimIGS, good to hear from you. I followed a similar pattern to you by going to Mossley Primary then Ballyclare High, albeit a few years after you (I was at Ballyclare in the 1970s - not that I want to rub it in or anything!) Apart from Mr. Hamilton, I was also taught by Mrs. Frame and Mrs. Sands. We ate lunch in the Orange Hall across the road, later that moved to the Mill Canteen and I always remember struggling to climb the steep steps up to it from the Mill Avenue!

In a previous post you mentioned a maths teacher Stinson - I wonder is that the same Ivor Stinson that taught us music studies at Ballyclare a few years later? The other teachers I remember from my era include the likes of Sam Bell (chemistry) and Herbie Mudd (english) and "Monty" (Mr. Montgomery - Latin).

Anyway, given when you left Northern Ireland, I've uploaded what I think is the closest photo of my father timewise, around 1965 - he's the one to the rear, standing on the shoulder of Glentoran's Trevor Thompson, who is delivering the bowl in Mossley Pavilion in this picture - I believe Trevor also worked in Mossley Mill for a while. My father was the Mill's Work Study Engineer, then Personnel Manager. We lived for a while in no. 8 the Villas, beside one of the rows (can't remember which). Next door in no 7 was George Perry and wife, next to them Billy and Essie Moore. Right down the far end at no 1 the Villas was Mr and Mrs Adams. We then moved to no. 5 the Villas for several decades until my father died some time ago.

Harold Burns and wife lived just up the road slightly in a big house called "The Castle" - I may be wrong, but I think Sydney Hamilton lived there at one point. The Wilmont you mentioned was also a friend of my father's - Walter Wilmont.

By the way, can you remember the two men in the Mill that were responsible for maintenance jobs, particularly painting - they were almost like a double act, seen everywhere together in their overalls and with paintpots and ladder. One of them was called Andy, but I can't remember for sure the name of the other. I remember them in particular painting the windows and drainpipes of the houses in the Villas every couple of years - the drainpipes in that ubiquitous dark green that used to be everywhere in the Mill.

Best regards.

JimIGS

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2011, 11:17:19 PM »
No problem SandyMc. Yes things look very different now, it seems like yesterday that we used to run across the old Mossley Primary School playground to look down at the railway track and watch the steam trains pass by. Now the schools gone (it's mostly replaced by a church) and indeed a large part of the Mill has gone as you can see below (which was taken during the building work). This is the rear of the Mill (the dam is out of sight to the left) and you can see the "Sunnyside" row of houses to the rear of the photo (beyond a railway track and road which are both hidden). I remember as a child that whole area was lovely, beautifully landscaped and maintained with large vegetable and fruit gardens, a beautiful old house and stableblock, loads of mature chestnut trees, etc. and now it is council offices and housing. Still, everything has to change.

If your Uncle worked in the Mill he may have known my late father - he worked there from the early 1950s to 1990'ish and we lived at the Villas opposite the dam. McGaffin by name, he's the one at the opposite end from Davy McKinstry in the photo previously posted.
Hi CMcG

As you probably remember there were 3 classrooms at Mossley Primary (in my days there the teachers were - Mrs. Frame, Miss Caldwell and Sydney Hamilton). Between the school and the playground was the School House (the Fenning Family lived there). Running the whole way beside the school was the Old Row (33 houses), across the road from Sunnyside (I think 15 or 16 houses). We lived in the Old Row (originally #1 but moved to #16 after the 1939-1945 war as the houses needed to be repaired, they were complete with concrete stairs which my younger brother tumbled down), after the repairs which took about a year we moved to #4. I used to spend hours in the playground by myself belting a tennis ball against Fennings wall, of course earlier years we played football (they call it soccer here in Canada).
As I said I have hundreds of memories of Mossley and the people who lived there, in Sunnyside there were the Scott family in #1, the McNeill family in #3, the McCullough Sweetie Shop in #4, I think the Ritchie's in #5 and further down the Darragh family, the McBroom family and the Graham family (that's not too bad for a 74-year old memory).
In the Old Row were the kids my cousins Ross and Beryl Aiken in #18 (they moved to Sunnyside later), Andy and Davy Hunter in #20 (I think), the Loughren family (no names), the Harland family (Kathleen and Hannah?), the Dunn family (Billy) and others which will come to me as always just after I finish.
Because we all lived 2 minutes from the school we went home for lunch and I think the kids from Upper Mossley (White Row, Red Row, the Villas and Uppertown) brought lunch. That is all for now - more later.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

CMcG

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2011, 04:29:38 AM »
Hi JimIGS, I'm pretty sure some of those families or their children moved into the new houses that replaced the white and red rows (the old estate Mossley, as opposed to the new estate Mossley which was built on the opposite side of the road to Mossley Pavilion or New Mossley which was built south of the Pavilion in the land stretching up towards Ballyhenry).  The Fennings are familiar and a Billy Dunn used to be the local window cleaner.  This is what's replaced the old school now (it's a church). Sunnyside and the Orange Hall are just out of shot to the right. The space in the foreground (presumably released by the demolition of the Old Row) was the school payground and we all used to rush over to the hedge on the left and look down at the trains passing.