Author Topic: Protestants under achieve  (Read 16267 times)

BLOOMFIELD

Re: Protestants under achieve
« Reply #450 on: April 18, 2011, 09:52:22 PM »

Ah but RELIGION is part of learning .and its one of the subjects in school    Unlike in CHURCH ,were you go to praise the Lord , in school you learn about him    there is a differance   :girl_blum:

CHURCH    should look after the SPIRITUAL NEEDS.

(BUT then,It can't even get it's own House in ORDER)

:D

SCHOOL    should look after the REALITIES of LIFE, 

ACADEMICS.

never the twain shall meet
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

Dommo

« Reply #451 on: April 18, 2011, 10:44:56 PM »

Teach all that in yer Church, and let the Parents do their

job... :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Everyone should be entitled to their own Opinions, and said

Opinions should not be forced on others. ::)

Q.U.B. was always  a Roman Catholic Institution ,  read up

on it's " Raison d'être ".. :scratch_ones_head:  
Interesting, if was a Fenian institution that is news to me. They flew the British flag when I was there and signed up the bold RUC band to play at graduation. I did not know any Catholic students who thought it represented them or their views. They imported most of the faculty from England and Scotland. 
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Dommo

« Reply #452 on: April 18, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »

Teach all that in yer Church, and let the Parents do their

job... :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Everyone should be entitled to their own Opinions, and said

Opinions should not be forced on others. ::)

Q.U.B. was always  a Roman Catholic Institution ,  read up

on it's " Raison d'être ".. :scratch_ones_head:  
They do teach that in Cathlic churches Roman or Eastern, but nevertheless schools have to deal with real world issues. You cannot resereve every real life topic for church. If you studying biology or history or language you wil deal with stem cells, the history of norn iron, or the place of Erse (Irish) and that Ulster Scots thingggy. You cannot have a non controversial academic environment.   
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #453 on: April 18, 2011, 10:50:56 PM »
Interesting, if was a Fenian institution that is news to me. They flew the British flag when I was there and signed up the bold RUC band to play at graduation. I did not know any Catholic students who thought it represented them or their views. They imported most of the faculty from England and Scotland.

NOW, in future, you will know what yer talking about.. ::) ::)

Queen's University Belfast has its roots in the

Belfast Academical Institution, which was founded in 1810

and remains as the Royal Belfast Academical Institution.[2]

The

present university was first chartered as "Queen's

College, Belfast" in 1845, when it was associated with

the simultaneously founded Queen's College, Cork and

Queen's College, Galway as part of the Queen's

University of Ireland -

founded to encourage higher education for Catholics

and Presbyterians, as a counterpart to Trinity College,

Dublin, then an Anglican institution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%27s_University_Belfast

That was actually DISCRIMINATION :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

YOUSENS, had more UNIVERSITIES than the Poor

Downtrodden PRODS... :( :( :(

Kateme

« Reply #454 on: April 18, 2011, 11:09:48 PM »
There is a time and place, for everything.

The only time and place for Teaching Religion, is in yer

Church ( yis go often enough   :smile: ) and at Home.

Remember the ole Jesuit, 7 year Rule.. ;)

If the Parents stayed outta the Bingo Parlour , the Bookies,

and the Boozer, they could pay more attention to their

Children's Education;   Academic, and Spiritual.. :scratch_ones_head: :scratch_ones_head: :scratch_ones_head:
Sorry Bloomfield I don't agree. I don't mind at all that religion is taught in schools.  Children need to be exposed to the things that most religions espouse - i.e. goodness, kindness, charity, respect for all human beings and a strong sense of community.  Just because some people don't live what they are taught is no reason to ban it in all schools. And as for:

Children's Education; etc.
I really don't know many parents these days who make a practice of going to the Bingo parlour, bookies, or the bar instead of giving their children what they need to be successful.  Wasn't that in a bygone era? Of course I could be wrong.  :smile:
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #455 on: April 18, 2011, 11:20:30 PM »
And as for:

Children's Education; etc.
I really don't know many parents these days who make a practice of going to the Bingo parlour, bookies, or the bar instead of giving their children what they need to be successful.  Wasn't that in a bygone era? Of course I could be wrong.  :smile:

So why are they not taking an interest in the Children's 

Education / Exams / Home work etc.. :scratch_ones_head:

and making sure that the children apply themselves.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #456 on: April 18, 2011, 11:24:41 PM »
  Children need to be exposed to the things that most religions

espouse - i.e. goodness, kindness, charity, respect for all

human beings and a strong sense of community.

That is the job that the CHURCH and PARENTS should be

fulfilling. 

NOT THE SCHOOLS     :scratch_ones_head: :scratch_ones_head: :scratch_ones_head:

chi

« Reply #457 on: April 19, 2011, 01:10:48 AM »

Awww we all live to learn   . i loved it when mine got thier own homes    i lit every light in thier house   .it was heaven hahhahahhahaha  ;)

Retribution     :smile:

That's funny :good:
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

frankmk

« Reply #458 on: April 19, 2011, 01:27:42 AM »
It makes me so sad to read these kinds of reports about Belfast school kids. I went to a Catholic school in Barrack Street, only because my primary school teacher MADE my parents put me in for the 11 plus.  So I suppose, without that support I would never have noticed. I think the “troubles” took Belfast off the map for everything for all those years we were in the headline news. When the smoke cleared we were living in a very different world. We had a new class of youngsters who never worked in their lives, but could rob and bully their way to big money at the cost of everybody around them.The shipyards, rope works, steel, aircraft were all either gone or down-sized. All the jobs your ‘Da” or the “Lodge” could help you with are long gone. If only we had been able to settle our differences 40 years earlier maybe Belfast would be a different place, but who knows? But now all those inside jobs are gone and there’s no shipyard or even Gallagher’s to pick up the slack; the youngsters who live on drugs and robbery money have no desire to work and all the good kids who live “under” them aren’t much better off.  The rest of the world isn’t much different. Detroit, where I live now, is a disaster for youngsters, including my own 3. I don’t want to sound like a doomsday guy but the world we live in is going through a lot of big changes and we need to react to whatever happens next,
I wish I knew the answer but throwing [censored] at one and other won't cut it anymore

chi

« Reply #459 on: April 19, 2011, 01:46:19 AM »
It makes me so sad to read these kinds of reports about Belfast school kids. I went to a Catholic school in Barrack Street, only because my primary school teacher MADE my parents put me in for the 11 plus.  So I suppose, without that support I would never have noticed. I think the “troubles” took Belfast off the map for everything for all those years we were in the headline news. When the smoke cleared we were living in a very different world. We had a new class of youngsters who never worked in their lives, but could rob and bully their way to big money at the cost of everybody around them.The shipyards, rope works, steel, aircraft were all either gone or down-sized. All the jobs your ‘Da” or the “Lodge” could help you with are long gone. If only we had been able to settle our differences 40 years earlier maybe Belfast would be a different place, but who knows? But now all those inside jobs are gone and there’s no shipyard or even Gallagher’s to pick up the slack; the youngsters who live on drugs and robbery money have no desire to work and all the good kids who live “under” them aren’t much better off.  The rest of the world isn’t much different. Detroit, where I live now, is a disaster for youngsters, including my own 3. I don’t want to sound like a doomsday guy but the world we live in is going through a lot of big changes and we need to react to whatever happens next,
I wish I knew the answer but throwing [censored] at one and other won't cut it anymore

Detroit got hit bad like Belfast did back in the 60's.
 I know several folks who dropped out of High
school and went on to open their own business'
like cleaning offices, landscaping, catering, Dog sitting
care etc; they gained clients by word of mouth. They
invested, gave good services and worked on having a
good reputation.  Older women who lost jobs fell back
on basic skills like dressmaking etc; typing student
reports, freelancing, Consulting. The down side of
having your own business are no medical benefits
and other fringe benefits the big car companies offered :scratch_ones_head:
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Kateme

« Reply #460 on: April 19, 2011, 05:03:50 AM »
Yes, we can always ponder "if only". However, perhaps it would serve us better to be proactive instead of reactive.  I knew many poor people who had nothing, had no unions supporting them but managed to find a niche in society and with their own entrepreneurship, worked their tails off and succeeded in bringing in a decent wage and raising their kids to be better off than they were, with free education and a staunch moral and ethical background. Even in down economies, and in societies that have descended into economic chaos, there are opportunities to be had if one is committed to trying something new, or thinking outside the box.  There are ways to make it, as Chi suggests.  :smile: 
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #461 on: April 19, 2011, 05:10:28 AM »
When I came to Canada in 1971, people asked me why I

came at that time, as there was high unemployment.

I found a job after 1 week, and when I left that job after 6

months, I found a much better paying job the next day.

Neither of these jobs, were jobs that I had done before.

You gotta hustle. :smile: