Author Topic: Protestants under achieve  (Read 16299 times)

Silvertongue

Protestants under achieve
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:41:35 AM »
The findings of a report aimed at improving educational standards among young working-class Protestants in NI are due to be published later.
Practical ways to address the serious problem of under-achievement among Protestant working class boys in Northern Ireland must be found, it was claimed today.
Independent Assembly Member Dawn Purvis launched a public consultation which calls for suggestions on how to address the issue.
Ms Purvis set up a working group ( Nov 2010) made up of teachers, educational administrators, academics, community workers and interested others.
The chair of the group is Mark Langhammer, director of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers in Northern Ireland.
He said today that if the issue is left to fester it could create difficulties for the political settlement here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12799378
The 13 members of the working group have spent the last few months focusing on the “stark, shocking statistical fact” of growing under-performance of Protestant working class young people, and, in particular, Protestant working class males.

Silvertongue

Re: Protestants under achieve
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »
Wonder if I'd of stuck to my original heading of "Prods are stupid" would this thread of had a reply by now.  :unsure:  ..One wonders, so one does.  :fanboi:

lilylou

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »
Are they only clicking on to this now  :D

sj

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »
Wonder if I'd of stuck to my original heading of "Prods are stupid" would this thread of had a reply by now.  :unsure:  ..One wonders, so one does.  :fanboi:

Silvertongue,

Is it only the Protestant male youth who are underachieving.   Here all young males or rather most of them are underachieving.  The blame according to some academics is the school mix.  Seemingly girls mature faster than boys but by the time that the males and females have reached about 17 yrs they are on a par. ..if the boys are kept or educated separately from the girls.  If the boys are in the same school as the girls then it seems that they get fed up being behind and just don't perform as well and underachieve. ;)   
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Silvertongue

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »

Silvertongue,

Is it only the Protestant male youth who are underachieving.   Here all young males or rather most of them are underachieving.  The blame according to some academics is the school mix.  Seemingly girls mature faster than boys but by the time that the males and females have reached about 17 yrs they are on a par. ..if the boys are kept or educated separately from the girls.  If the boys are in the same school as the girls then it seems that they get fed up being behind and just don't perform as well and underachieve. ;)

Yes SJ,
According to the report, protestant children especially protestant boys from disadvantage back grounds are more likely to leave school without qualifications than compared to their catholic counterparts.

chi

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »
My instant thought was that parents without an education
or a bad educational experience usually do not encourage
their children in that direction. I will go back and read the
report. :read:
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

chi

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 02:57:35 PM »
My instant thought was that parents without an education
or a bad educational experience usually do not encourage
their children in that direction. I will go back and read the
report. :read:

Oops no report. The British system once prided itself  as
second to none. Have the cream of the crop immigrated?
Teachers need support to teach children who are dealing
with stress from the aftermath of the troubles. Scars/wounds
do not stay outside the door of a classroom. Prods once
upon a time did not need an education to get a job over
an educated RC. As I understand it today jobs are open to
all and the best man for the job gets it. There seems to me
to be many intertwining reasons why these children are failing :read:

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Moonlight

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
This is interesting Silver.  I always thought that the schools in NI got better results all round than England.  I wonder why protestant boys are affected.  While I can understand some of the points Chi is making about the affects of the troubles, why would protestant children be more affected?  At  the risk of causing WW3 and I don't mean this in any sectarian way, maybe the Catholic schools are better schools.  Where I live in England there is a one Catholic School and there is always a waiting list to get children into it and not just by Catholics.  The school takes in children from other religions as well.   The discipline is better than other schools, maybe that is a factor in NI as well. :scratch_ones_head:
Once sent out a word takes wing beyond recall

chi

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »
This is interesting Silver.  I always thought that the schools in NI got better results all round than England.  I wonder why protestant boys are affected.  While I can understand some of the points Chi is making about the affects of the troubles, why would protestant children be more affected?  At  the risk of causing WW3 and I don't mean this in any sectarian way, maybe the Catholic schools are better schools.  Where I live in England there is a one Catholic School and there is always a waiting list to get children into it and not just by Catholics.  The school takes in children from other religions as well.   The discipline is better than other schools, maybe that is a factor in NI as well. :scratch_ones_head:

Same here in the US where I live, Catholic schools have waiting lists.
In my community we have many other private schools. Charter
schools are becoming popular. In NI they have to be careful that their
youth are not idlely hanging around and need to nip that problem in
the bud. The paint throwing at St Matthews is a clear message that
something is brewing. The politicians need to get off their duff and go
 into the communities and talk with parents. :yes:

lilylou

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »

I have to say it's the same here in Scotland .I sent my two eldest to a catholic college because it would look better on their CV (and I'm not kidding) .I'm having a dilemma now, as I don't have my youngest christened and I would like to give him the same standard of education .

If I get him christened he will not have a problem getting into that college even though we live in another town .Purely selfish reasons ,I know .Do I or don't I  .

Silvertongue

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »

Oops no report. The British system once prided itself  as
second to none. Have the cream of the crop immigrated?
Teachers need support to teach children who are dealing
with stress from the aftermath of the troubles. Scars/wounds
do not stay outside the door of a classroom. Prods once
upon a time did not need an education to get a job over
an educated RC. As I understand it today jobs are open to
all and the best man for the job gets it. There seems to me
to be many intertwining reasons why these children are failing :read:

From what I heard this morning on the Nolan show, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head Chi.

belle

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 05:27:16 PM »
i just think it's very sad.
am i being stupid or have they found out why the boys aren't progressing as they should. i don't think expections are that high anymore imho. i think that some people think 'whats the point i won't get a job' it's like a lost generation.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

belle

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »
I have to say it's the same here in Scotland .I sent my two eldest to a catholic college because it would look better on their CV (and I'm not kidding) .I'm having a dilemma now, as I don't have my youngest christened and I would like to give him the same standard of education .

If I get him christened he will not have a problem getting into that college even though we live in another town .Purely selfish reasons ,I know .Do I or don't I  .
Lily, my son got his kids baptised so he could get them into catholic schools in Canada. my grandson, whos austic, has gone from strength to strength. i know it's a real difficult decision. good luck :air_kiss:
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

Dot/dash

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 06:48:43 PM »

Yes SJ,
According to the report, protestant children especially protestant boys from disadvantage back grounds are more likely to leave school without qualifications than compared to their catholic counterparts.

My goodness what a turn around. Who ever would have believed that this could possibly happen in the Northern Ireland. These professional educational advisors must quickly put their thinking caps on and come up with some instant solutions.

love me          love my gelding     

Dot/dash

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 06:56:56 PM »

If your son is a baby then it's normal for the parents to make the decision to have him baptised on his behalf. If he is seven or older, the choice has got to be his.
love me          love my gelding