Author Topic: Anyone from Crumlin Street Ardoyne?  (Read 23341 times)

chi

Re: Anyone from Crumlin Street Ardoyne?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 03:22:49 PM »
off licence was called o'haras & had a big red hand painted on the gable wall

Thanks. a little jogging of the memory
helps after all these years.  :smile:
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Dot/dash

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 03:47:31 PM »

My Da use to send me there to get his stout that was in the 50's.
I don't recall the name  of the off licence. I didn't like going near
Crumlin Street cause I did not want to run into Nelly McGuiness. :smile:

Chi was the licensee not breaking the law selling alcohol to children. I know Mrs. Grey who was the licensee of the pub/off license at the top of the Bray (0ld Park Road), refused to sell alcohol to children.

My friend and I were asked by an old neighbour to buy her a bottle of port wine in Greys. We were refused and got the lecture on license rules.

love me          love my gelding     

glenb

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 08:00:33 PM »
Dorothy, sorry to disappoint you, I bought alchohol (bottles of stout) in the 60's from Grey's, I was about 10 years, old. I would go up there with a note and get several bottles of stout for someone that lived in our street about every two weeks.   ::)

chi

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »

Chi was the licensee not breaking the law selling alcohol to children. I know Mrs. Grey who was the licensee of the pub/off license at the top of the Bray (0ld Park Road), refused to sell alcohol to children.

My friend and I were asked by an old neighbour to buy her a bottle of port wine in Greys. We were refused and got the lecture on license rules.

Dorothy in my young day children were able to buy cigs/alcohol. :smile:

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

tboy

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 10:54:13 PM »
Dont remember too many from the street to be honest tboy. I remember my uncle frankie and my da playing handball against the bricked up houses in the middle of the street....and how everybody painted the outside of their house a different colour. The Star club shed was at the bottom of the street and I remember my da dragging me down there to play the tin whistle for everybody... :smile:
níce ;)

Ozed

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 12:08:57 PM »
Dorothy in my young day children were able to buy cigs/alcohol. :smile:
Same here....the folks in the street would ask us to run up to O'Haras to buy porter, half bottles of whiskey or the odd wee bottle of vodka.....as kids it was great because it was only at the top of the street and as long as you could avoid the Nelly and the boys from the other streets (who sometimes took your money) you earned yourself anything from 2p to 5p - simple times - :)

chi

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 02:12:02 PM »
Same here....the folks in the street would ask us to run up to O'Haras to buy porter, half bottles of whiskey or the odd wee bottle of vodka.....as kids it was great because it was only at the top of the street and as long as you could avoid the Nelly and the boys from the other streets (who sometimes took your money) you earned yourself anything from 2p to 5p - simple times - :smile:

You got paid  :D

I had a neighbor who paid me to do her laundry at the new laundermat
on the Crumlin road near the bus depot (was that Estroial PK?)

gerry1960

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 12:35:32 AM »
that was o haras off licence top of crumlin street

jaybee715

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2011, 12:19:19 AM »
My Granny lived in Crumlin St. Her Name was Britton. Down at the flax Street end. Does anyone remember the wee sweetie shop in flax street opposite the mill ?

Also I can definitely confirm the off licence at the top end because my aunt Bernie lived opposite it. Her name is rafferty. and she lives in the markets now.

gerry1960

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2011, 12:45:42 AM »
i remember  the shop it was  like a wee house shop  2 doors down  flax street  towards brookfield  mill

Kateme

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2011, 02:00:26 AM »
My Granny lived in Crumlin St. Her Name was Britton. Down at the flax Street end. Does anyone remember the wee sweetie shop in flax street opposite the mill ?

Also I can definitely confirm the off licence at the top end because my aunt Bernie lived opposite it. Her name is rafferty. and she lives in the markets now.
Yeah, I think that shop was Donaghy's.  We used to buy Neopolitan ice cream there - it was just opposite the mill in Flax Street.  :smile:
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

biggus

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 11:03:51 PM »
es, the off-licence at the top of Crumlin St, was called Wm. O'Hara's. We all called him Willie Woodbine.
Learn to cut your fingernails with your left hand because one day you might lose your right hand.

arder lavery

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2011, 01:36:19 PM »
Yeah, I think that shop was Donaghy's.  We used to buy Neopolitan ice cream there - it was just opposite the mill in Flax Street.  :smile:
i went to school with john bowers, his family owned and lived in that shop, his dad actually represented nth ireland in soccer. i remember john bringing in some of his dads memorabilia to show in butler st school.
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

Kateme

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »
i went to school with john bowers, his family owned and lived in that shop, his dad actually represented nth ireland in soccer. i remember john bringing in some of his dads memorabilia to show in butler st school.
Yes Arder - I remember that now.  Donaghy was the older woman's maiden name I think. K
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

tboy

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2011, 11:46:38 PM »

She didn't mind serving B men and constuballs in the backroom  ;)