Author Topic: Goorwitch  (Read 3379 times)

Jamie Goorwitch

Goorwitch
« on: April 08, 2011, 11:58:47 AM »
Hi,

My name is Jamie Goorwitch (my family originate from Belfast Ireland)....my father moved over here when he was little and since our family has grown.

I am interested in tracing back the family roots (I am aware of the 'Goorwitch' stores chain in Ireland) that was taken over.

So anyone able or interested in helping me knowing more or any relevance to family name....please reply!!

Thanks
Jamie

Roybern

Re: Goorwitch
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:58:06 PM »
Hello Jamie

I'm trying to trace my family line also. My Great grandmother was a Goorwitch who married a Samuel Ginsburg. Their youngest son Simon(Sidney) moved to Belfast. I wonder if there s a connection?

Regards Roy

Danny82

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:30:35 PM »
Hi Jamie

My Great Grandfather was Nat Gorwitch who set up Gowitch's department stores in Northern Ireland.

Even though Nat has been dead for a long time now his two daughters are still alive. One lives in Spain and one in London as does my Father and we are still in contact with other members of the Family.

Hope this helps!

Danny

maleop

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:12:12 PM »
Hi Danny, Jamie, Roybern,

I came across the Gorwitch stores in my research, as they employed a few refugees in Belfast who came from Nazi Germany. Do you have any more information? Such as where exactly the shops were? And do you have any idea if there are any photographs available anywhere?
Thanks a lot!

Brian Ruderman

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »
Hi

My mother was Mona Goorwitch, daughter of Nat Goorwitch who started the Goorwitch shops in Belfast. I am related to Danny, his father is my cousin. I have some info re Goorwitch if you are still interested

bushmills

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 11:38:05 PM »
Hi,

My name is Jamie Goorwitch (my family originate from Belfast Ireland)....my father moved over here when he was little and since our family has grown.

I am interested in tracing back the family roots (I am aware of the 'Goorwitch' stores chain in Ireland) that was taken over.

So anyone able or interested in helping me knowing more or any relevance to family name....please reply!!

Thanks
Jamie

bushmills

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »
my Aunt Nellie Married name Eleanor Neagle worked in Goorwitchs in Royal Avenue it was a High Class Drapery Store if my memory serves me right. She worked there for many years and I was led to beleive she was the manageress of one of the departments. there was a photo of her taken in the store with other members of staff must look for it and if successful will get one of the Grand Kids to put it on the site. She emigrated to Canada and lived with her Daughter and we lost touch many years ago she was my Godmother and she would be over a 100 years old now so probably got her wings

Jamie Goorwitch

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »
Hi there,
Every reply is greatly appriciated and I wuld love to find a link to the family history. My father (who sadly passed away in 2005) was Michael Goorwitch, his sister still lives in London (Sharon) with her family.
I just want to find the link to Ireland and see if there is anyone out there who knows anything linking further back??
Anything anyone knows is greatly appriciated.
Thanks
Jamie

StJohn

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »
Dear Jamie, You may not get this message as it's now a number of years since your post. Even so I write in the hope that you might see this. My father's sister, Marion Bowers was a good friend of Mona and Greta Goorwitch, in the 1930's in Belfast. My aunt is now quite elderly but I thought, if either Greta or Mona were still alive, it would be rather splendid to put them back in touch with one another. Do you know anything of their whereabouts? Any assistance you could provide would be most warmly appreciated. St John Bowers

shivalan

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 04:32:20 PM »
I worked in the Goorwitch department store during the summer holidays in 1956. The Goorwitch family, although socially well above us, were decent, kind people. Here's something that might interest the family. In the Belfast of the early 1900s, adult women wore mostly black shawls, but these became increasing expensive as the years passed. The Goorwitchs imported stylish women's woolen coats which sold for five pounds, significantly cheaper than the shawls and this was part of how they became wealthy.

When I was there, you could see the tremendous social change going on, the end of an era. I worked in the men's clothing department and Mr. Rippingale, from Dublin, was a gentleman shop assistant. He came to work, immaculate in his dark blue, three piece serge suit, a rolled umbrella, Homburg hat, and the Times newspaper under his arm. Most people laughed at him, not me, because he was a really decent, kind man. But a dying breed.

John Dev

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 10:36:06 AM »
Hi Jamie
I just came across your post. My Mum worked in the Goorwich Dept Store in Belfast in the 1950s. She loved the store and her employers and told us that Ben Sherman worked alongside her in the store.
Mum received a wedding present from Ben Sherman (Sugarman)and we still have the card.
Mum believed him to be the Ben Sherman founder of the famous brand.
Can you throw any light on the subject.
Thanks
John