Author Topic: Do you feel their are too many foreigners in Ulster?  (Read 22462 times)

bobdenn

Re: Do you feel their are too many foreigners in Ulster?
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2011, 04:05:02 PM »

"what can we do?"
        SIMPLE MY BOLD----
You could move to Eastern Europe-there is hardly anyone there  and house prices are low---I assume you are beyond childbearing age, so don't worry re maternity services---you might still get your pension from Engerland and wouldn't have to submit fraudulent forms. .and, there would be plenty of land for your horse and dog Jake.....oooops, getting you mixed up with another person who used to post in bold :D

:D

Kateme

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2011, 04:05:52 PM »
Forgive me for being politically incorrect, but is securiing the borders out of the question?  Is welcoming those who apply legally gone the way of the horse and cart?  Seems to me politicians need their feet held to the fire. K  :smile:
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

chi

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
Forgive me for being politically incorrect, but is securiing the borders out of the question?  Is welcoming those who apply legally gone the way of the horse and cart?  Seems to me politicians need their feet held to the fire. K  :smile:

A thought comes to mind. What are the political deals that countries make with each other in terms of trades off when it comes to visa's. I know here in the US, immigration ethnic quotas keep changing. Here in the Boston area from year to year there seems to be a large influx of different ethnic groups, it could be  Brazil, China Iraq, etc; with the Japanese earth quake I suspect Japanese may be the next influx. It's another way of countries helping each other. The embassies that represents the people from different countries is there to assist the new immigrant
integrate into there adopted homeland. :smile:

“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Kateme

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »
A thought comes to mind. What are the political deals that countries make with each other in terms of trades off when it comes to visa's. I know here in the US, immigration ethnic quotas keep changing. Here in the Boston area from year to year there seems to be a large influx of different ethnic groups, it could be  Brazil, China Iraq, etc; with the Japanese earth quake I suspect Japanese may be the next influx. It's another way of countries helping each other. The embassies that represents the people from different countries is there to assist the new immigrant
integrate into there adopted homeland. :smile:
Unfortunately, our problem in the US is undocumented immigrants who flood over our borders illegally.  This is the same problem as someone mentioned above.  They don't wish to learn the language, don't wish to assimilate hence they live in their own communities with little or no contact with American culture.  As an volunteer EMT, my crew and I have brought hundreds of these patients to the emergency room to be treated.  They have no driver's license, no id, cannot speak the language, and no way for paying.  However, each hospital must treat anyone - pay or no pay.  And the American taxpaper pays extra for this to occur.  Don't wish to sound uncaring.  But when countries allow this, their own culture diminishes and their taxes go through the roof making life difficult.  No-one should mind immigrants.  I am one myself. However, securing the border from those who would break the law to enter illegally would be the start of trying to resolve this huge problem. K

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 07:11:10 PM »
I suspect we have very few, if any, illegal immigrants here in Ulster (N.Ireland to be PC). I believe the overwhelming majority of ours come come from countries within the EC and therefore are fully entitled to be here. I have yet to meet anybody who does not speak our language ( English), if only in a limited way, but they are trying  :good: . I don't think they are taking jobs from locals, they are looking at alternative opportunities to scrape a living. Good luck to them

Except of course for the oul begs with their hands out. They contribute nothing to the community.  ::) :angry2:
Bord na Móna

chi

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 07:47:02 PM »
Unfortunately, our problem in the US is undocumented immigrants who flood over our borders illegally.  This is the same problem as someone mentioned above.  They don't wish to learn the language, don't wish to assimilate hence they live in their own communities with little or no contact with American culture.  As an volunteer EMT, my crew and I have brought hundreds of these patients to the emergency room to be treated.  They have no driver's license, no id, cannot speak the language, and no way for paying.  However, each hospital must treat anyone - pay or no pay.  And the American taxpaper pays extra for this to occur.  Don't wish to sound uncaring.  But when countries allow this, their own culture diminishes and their taxes go through the roof making life difficult.  No-one should mind immigrants.  I am one myself. However, securing the border from those who would break the law to enter illegally would be the start of trying to resolve this huge problem. K

True. the US borders north/south have many folks from other countries
slip through their borders. I volunteer at the public library to help non-
english speaking immigrants who after years living here now want to learn
the language. They do not want to be labeled illegal because they can't
speak english  :smile:

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Kateme

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 07:54:06 PM »

True. the US borders north/south have many folks from other countries
slip through their borders. I volunteer at the public library to help non-
english speaking immigrants who after years living here now want to learn
the language. They do not want to be labeled illegal because they can't
speak english  :smile:
I think most people label them as illegal because they broke the law to come over the border, not because they don't speak English. America as a melting pot welcomes people from all over the world.  It is accepted that not everyone who comes to America can speak English - most who want to assimilate learn English over time. How many immigrants who came to America legally- Italian, Spanish, German, Polish etc. - could speak English? A good percentage of them couldn't.  What many people mind is that those who illegally came here did not respect our laws and procedures on how to arrive here the proper way.  Many people also mind that they live in their own communities, not wanting to have anything to do with assimilating into American culture, and living on the fringe with forged documents and stolen social security numbers.  It's good of you to volunteer to teach English to immigrants.   :smile:   

Moonlight

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2011, 11:20:17 AM »
If I do, do you know a good Chiropodist?  Correct me if I spelled it wrong. :D
Once sent out a word takes wing beyond recall

Giannineo

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
If I do, do you know a good Chiropodist?  Correct me if I spelled it wrong. :D

indeed I know a few good keb men ::)

EllCee

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2011, 12:50:27 PM »
Mexico who mentioned Mexico!!

You did. 

To be precise, you wrote "True. the US borders north/south have many folks from other countries slip through their borders."
Chi - « Reply #84 on: Yesterday at 19:47:02 »

There's only one country on the US southern border, SFAIK.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

chi

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »
You did. 

To be precise, you wrote "True. the US borders north/south have many folks from other countries slip through their borders."
Chi - « Reply #84 on: Yesterday at 19:47:02 »

There's only one country on the US southern border, SFAIK.

Ellcee, you surprize me you claim to be well travelled, yet it
appears that your limited to thinking Mexico is the only country
south of the USA.  I am finding that as much as you claim you
can't read other people's post, it's becoming clear that you can't
comprehend what's being written. I clearly stated folks from other
countries. Countries means more than 1.  :yes:

EllCee

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
"Ellcee, you surprize me you claim to be well travelled, yet it appears that your limited to thinking Mexico is the only country south of the USA."

I've never made that claim!  Perhaps you will point out where and when I did?

Now, please show me the other countries with borders with the Southern USA.  I can find only one.  It's right beside Texas and California.

BTW, there's only one country has a border with the Northern USA.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

chi

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »
"Ellcee, you surprize me you claim to be well travelled, yet it appears that your limited to thinking Mexico is the only country south of the USA."

I've never made that claim!  Perhaps you will point out where and when I did?

Now, please show me the other countries with borders with the Southern USA.  I can find only one.  It's right beside Texas and California.

BTW, there's only one country has a border with the Northern USA.

So your denying that your well traveled ::)

EllCee

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2011, 02:27:17 PM »
So your denying that your well traveled ::)

Er, no.  I'm denying I ever claimed I am well travelled.  Will you show me where I made that claim?

twocoats

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2011, 04:11:11 PM »
Er, no.  I'm denying I ever claimed I am well travelled.  Will you show me where I made that claim?

I'm well travelled.  :D

But I thought this Thread was about Ulster.  :scratch_ones_head:
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..