Author Topic: rathcoole in the 1960s  (Read 32781 times)

Amandaelightfoot

Re: rathcoole in the 1960s
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2017, 01:30:52 AM »
I lived in Dunloy from 64 until 83 and went to both Rathcoole Primary and Secondary.  Remember the Duffys Sweeneys and lots of others. 

jitrobinson

« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2018, 09:50:30 PM »
[Hi ...my grandfather...David Stanley.... was caretaker for Primary School Derrycoole way....had an Alasatian called Judy...

jitrobinson

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2018, 09:58:30 PM »
Anyone remember an Isobelle Stanley Crossreagh Drive or Brian Robinson Rathcoole Drive?

macroyal

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2018, 11:08:17 AM »
KNEW LOADS OF PEOPLE AND USED TO GET MY FAGS FROM THE DIAMOND AT DINNER TIME, THE FAVORITE SAYING BACK THEN IF YOU SAID ANYTHING WAS "AH YOUR DA" I SAID IT TO BIG DOUGIE AND HE SAID MY DA IS DEAD, THINK HE LEAD ME INTO THAT ONE

seos

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »
Hi everyone

I am following on from my first post. When we moved to Dunloy Gardens we had lots of friends in that street and the neighbouring ones like Deerfin Park and Doonbeg Drive. We played a lot of football and cricket on the green. The players included George Radcliffe, Harry and Thomas Moreland, Brian Gordon, Bill and Stan Surgin, Ricky Joss and my best friend, Ned Doggart (sadly no longer with us). Some of these lads went to Ballyclare High School (Harry and Thomas) or Belfast High School (Ned, Bill and Stan) and Hopefield (Brian and George although we tended to call him Geordie). My brother Billy was more commonly called Willie in those days.

At No 4 Dunloy Gardens lived Sam and Maureen Sweeney and their first born children were called Sam and Maureen after Mum and Dad. I remember that they had another sister, Jean, and two brothers Hugh and Ivan. Our parents got on great and were always in and out of each others' houses.

My father, Billy, worked in the coal trade for the Co-op and was a keen trade unionist.

Others whom I recall were Jim Murray and his sister who was called Sadie, I think. My mate Dennis Maxwell, with whom I am back in contact again and his sister, Amanda, and their brother Neville. Another neighbour was called Rosemary Holmes.
did you know a girl called linda curry who lived in rathcoole Dran