Author Topic: Henderson Ave/ Old Cavehill Road  (Read 6104 times)

Padraig Mc

Henderson Ave/ Old Cavehill Road
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Anyone out there from the 60's and up to mid 70's living on the upper part of the Old Cavehill Road or that end of Henderson Avenue ?  Used to know the Donnelly's, Youngs, Lavery's, O'Connors, O'Briens, Montgomery's, Mrs Kirkwood and a couple of english lads surname Prince. Lost touch with most of them when we left in '74 or within a few years afterwards..everyone seemed to leave a while after we did !!!

allymac

Re: Henderson Ave/ Old Cavehill Road
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 12:43:41 AM »
Do you remember the Jenkins from the Avenue?

apalachie

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:43:13 PM »
Knew a Philip O'Hanlon who lived there then.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

big bick

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:28:11 AM »
knew a May & Dessa Lowry??, used to hostel with group in early 50's

old wallion

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:30:52 PM »
Do you remember the Pennant House which served mugs of tea????
It was owned by a guy called Stanley and Mrs Love was his assistant in the shop. :smile:

allymac

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
I remember a fella getting stabbed to death in Pennant House during the late 60's or early 70's.I think the lad who did it lived in Henderson Avenue.

weeno

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:16:57 AM »
my grandparents lived in henderson avenue keers

windosil

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 09:30:05 PM »
Do you remember the Pennant House which served mugs of tea? ???
It was owned by a guy called Stanley and Mrs Love was his assistant in the shop. :)
Just came across this by chance.

Stanley was my brother. He and our mother moved to Edinburgh in 1974. She died in 1981 and in 1990 Stanley moved to Belhaven, Dunbar. Sadly he was knocked down by a 17-year-old who had just passed his driving test, and died  3 days later on 17 November 1971. He had decorated his sittingroom with the collection of pennants that his customers had given him from their travels.

Zan de Man

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 03:11:37 AM »
I used to walk from Dunlambert School to Stanley's for lunch.  I delivered papers for Billy Wilson from 1966 until about 1969 - it was a long round.  I remember the stabbing.  It was a shocking thing at the time.  The victim was 18.  It seems he taunted the younger guy - who also went to Dunlambert - and he went home to his flat in Henderson Avenue and got a kitchen knife, came back to Stanley's and stabbed the older boy in the chest.

old wallion

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 11:44:47 PM »

Stanley was my brother. He and our mother moved to Edinburgh in 1974. She died in 1981 and in 1990 Stanley moved to Belhaven, Dunbar. Sadly he was knocked down by a 17-year-old who had just passed his driving test, and died  3 days later on 17 November 1971. He had decorated his sittingroom with the collection of pennants that his customers had given him from their travels.
Im so Sorry to hear of the sad passing of Stanley. He always made me welcome in the Pennant house. I had a Saturday job in 1970 in a hairdressers  up at the top of the road Regards OW

Dancer

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
Knew the Rankin's, who lived in Henderson Ave.  Joyce and Adrien their father Harold was a polio victim and took lead, of the Polio Fellowship on the Atrim Road. Before he was married he lived somewhere of the Ormeau Road, Ormeau Park end.  Dancer

Zan de Man

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 11:01:34 PM »

Very sad to hear how Stanley died.  I seem to remember that he was a diver.  There were certainly photographs of (him in?) diving gear on the walls of the cafe.

Rosniak

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 11:28:41 PM »
Where was the Pennant House?

In the early 70s I remember a place in the lower shops at top of Cavehill Road (at Sunningdale junction) called Sam's Milk Bar. Was this the same place? I think it was the second shop in that row that later became Bumbles the bakery for many years.

allymac

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 11:31:49 PM »
Where was the Pennant House?

In the early 70s I remember a place in the lower shops at top of Cavehill Road (at Sunningdale junction) called Sam's Milk Bar. Was this the same place? I think it was the second shop in that row that later became Bumbles the bakery for many years.
That's the place.

Zan de Man

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 11:37:16 PM »
Except that it was Stanley's.