Author Topic: Henderson Ave/ Old Cavehill Road  (Read 5937 times)

Rosniak

Re: Henderson Ave/ Old Cavehill Road
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 11:37:31 PM »
Thanks for that. So I take it the name changed when Stanley left then? I was born in 1968 so my memories of this place are dated about 1972/73 and a bit hazy. I seem to recall when it closed down it became a record shop for a while and then briefly a sports shop before it became Bumbles.

Zan de Man

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 11:45:57 PM »
I lost track a long time ago.  I'm 16 years older than you.  I lived in the Sunningdale area and went to Dunlambert.  I used to come up to Stanley's for lunch on my bike.  The place was wrecked on Bloody Friday.  A couple of years earlier, an 18 year old was stabbed to death in the cafe.  The killer was a younger boy from Henderson Avenue.  I knew him slightly from Dunlambert.  The bigger lad humiliated him, so he went home and got a kitchen knife to finish the argument.  He was locked up, probably at HM pleasure because he was a minor.

After Bloody Friday, I think Stanley retired and emigrated to be with family.

Rosniak

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 11:51:48 PM »
Thanks. I think my memory of Sam's Milk Bar must be wrong then...it was probably Stanley's Milk Bar and I misremembered it.

I remember the shops before Bloody Friday and after but don't remember anything about what happened, I was very surprised to hear about it later when I was older. I was probably young enough that it could be kept from me as I'd only have been 4ish at the time.

Zan de Man

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 12:07:14 AM »
A 13 year old called Stephen Parker was killed trying to warn people.  He'd seen the bomb in the car.  I knew him and his brother Roger from Dunlambert and I also delivered their papers for Billy Wilson, whose newsagents was at the corner of Henderson Avenue.  Stephen was a lovely kid.  NHS specs and always smiling.  Wore his Scout belt with his school uniform.  I can't even remember him in long trousers.

Two ladies ran a sweet shop at the end of the row, on the corner of Sunningdale Park.  They were both badly injured in the bombing.  One of them was sucked out of the shop window by the blast and ended up with a severe brain injury which left her dependent for the rest of her life.

tute the time lord

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
i seen the wee boy albert was his name and it all happen , gurtsy was the guy who got stabbed, he broke a cigar albert had just bought , albert went home got a knife and stuck it in his back fve minutes later,  as he was using stanleys phone, thats what happened exactly , make yer own mind up, i still dont no the answer , it was scary in crumln road high court with all the lawyers wearng wigs and robes though , stanley was one of the best , deacent guy , we gave him a hard time usually , hed a ford cortina car , used to take us out in it sometimes ,  , old nick was his nickname , peanut house full of pennants , ,there was,barney , gypo, the wee man ken fullerton , wee bashy , heinz , we where all in to motorbikes ,

Taggart 009

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 11:32:04 PM »
If anyone is still interrested in Cavehill and its people have a visit on
www.facebook.com/groups/652563481492136/
Pop in any time or join us . Some amazing pictures

Youngtim

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 11:04:27 AM »
Used to live at 32 Old Cavehill Road so I would be one of the Young family you mention.  Didn't Derek Davis live opposite - he the "big man" of the radio - was it BBC?

91ER

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 04:14:18 PM »
i seen the wee boy albert was his name and it all happen , gurtsy was the guy who got stabbed, he broke a cigar albert had just bought , albert went home got a knife and stuck it in his back fve minutes later,  as he was using stanleys phone, thats what happened exactly , make yer own mind up, i still dont no the answer , it was scary in crumln road high court with all the lawyers wearng wigs and robes though , stanley was one of the best , deacent guy , we gave him a hard time usually , hed a ford cortina car , used to take us out in it sometimes ,  , old nick was his nickname , peanut house full of pennants , ,there was,barney , gypo, the wee man ken fullerton , wee bashy , heinz , we where all in to motorbikes ,