Author Topic: Wee club, Dover Street  (Read 3406 times)

frankthepope

Wee club, Dover Street
« on: May 21, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »
Does anyone remember the wee club (a sort of youth /social club) that ran for a while in the late 50's.  It was at the start of Dover street, near The Zodiac Bar (?) on the upper floor of an upholsterer's workshop?  I think John Conlon from Alexander Street West ran it.
The future starts today, not tomorrow.

lynbra55

Re: Wee club, Dover Street
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 08:07:24 PM »
 ::) I think my old boyfriend went to that club it may have been called the Rodney boys club it was reckoned to be the roughest boys club in belfast 

frankthepope

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:46:31 AM »
Hello lynbra,
Not the Rodney Boys club (I'm glad to say). But thanks for the reply.
In the late 50s it was more like a dating agency!   Just a lot of sitting around and listening to records and talking. Fairly tame but friendly and good fun.
Quite a few long term relationships started there.

Good luck.

McNamee

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 02:06:49 PM »
Hello lynbra,
Not the Rodney Boys club (I'm glad to say). But thanks for the reply.
In the late 50s it was more like a dating agency!   Just a lot of sitting around and listening to records and talking. Fairly tame but friendly and good fun.
Quite a few long term relationships started there.

Good luck

Think it later became Sarsfield Club.

frankthepope

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:42:16 PM »
Yes that sounds like it.  I left Belfast in Jan 1960 and lost touch.

lynbra55

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »
 :scratch_ones_head: Oops sorry yeah that was the Falls road end of dover st knew a man played for sarfield Geordie Duffy good plumber thought he could sing like andy williams     

McNamee

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 07:15:03 PM »
I think , now I could be wrong, that Geordie Duffy went to work in Waterford.

cannon

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 02:00:30 PM »
Think it later became Sarsfield Club.
I always thought that the Sarsfield club room was in Dover Street 1950 ish. When I read the opening post,this is what came to mind. I can remember a staunch Sarsfield man who would collect in our street every week for the "propagation of the faith",asking us kids,who were playing hurley in the street with a "sock" ball,if we were interested in playing for the Sarsfields. I think his name was Francie McCann?
cannon

Aussie Joe

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:19:45 AM »
I remember the Sarsfield club very well and Fra McCann who used to coach the Gaelic and hurley teams.   His favourite shout from the sidelines was " Lift your feet, they'll fall themselves.   There were three McCann brothers,  Geordie,Fra and Eddie.   Also Big Doc ( Tom Docherty )

McNamee

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
Tom Doherty (Or Uncle Tom) as we called him, was a neighbour of mine in Gilford Street.  Lovely Big man.

Aussie Joe

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:03:31 AM »
Big Doc was a great man,    I remember I bought a house in Alexander St. West next to the church,   I renovated it and Big Tom Did the painting and decorating in exchange for me getting him furniture wholesale.   No money passed hands that's the way we did things,  friend to friend

bucksy

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 10:18:46 PM »
re. club at bottom of dover st. i remember a short lived club called the u.c.a. union of catholic adolescents circa.1960

McNamee

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 07:52:20 PM »
Tom Doherty (big Doc) president of Sarsfield for years,  died last week at the age of 88 and was buried on Saturday.  The last of the old neighbours from Gilford Street,  He will be missed a big gentle man,  May he rest in peace.

santaclaus

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »
I was one of the teenage founder members of the uca and with a few friends negotiated for the rental of the old room in dover street. But once a committee was formed to run it , the old irish syndrome of discord set in and  the group split and the idea of a venue to meet the needs of teenagers at the time swiftly faded. It had no connection with the sarsfield club in the same premises.

seos

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 08:31:38 PM »
sarsfields was burnt to the ground the nite the trouble started aug 69