Author Topic: St. Mary's Church of Ireland, Crumlin Road.  (Read 18353 times)

bobdenn

St. Mary's Church of Ireland, Crumlin Road.
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:23:22 AM »

irish colleen

Re: St. Mary's Church of Ireland, Crumlin Road.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:34:27 AM »
was married in st marys crumlin road  1966  did not look like that inside then  I have pics from 20 years ago of outside  IC
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

barry

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:48:14 AM »
was married in st marys crumlin road  1966  did not look like that inside then  I have pics from 20 years ago of outside  IC

IC,  where  on  the  Crumlin  Rd  was  St  Mary's ?.
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:23:09 AM »
Hi Barry I know your post was addressed to I.C. so here I am butting in - it was at the corner of Silvio Street and another Street name of which I cannot remember. My father's familly were members of St Mary's and my mammy went to St. Mary's School - think it may have been in the parochial hall - anyone know exactly where the school was located?

barry

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:43:06 AM »
Hi Barry I know your post was addressed to I.C. so here I am butting in - it was at the corner of Silvio Street and another Street name of which I cannot remember. My father's familly were members of St Mary's and my mammy went to St. Mary's School - think it may have been in the parochial hall - anyone know exactly where the school was located?

Thanks PM,  :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

chi

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 04:39:33 AM »

That's the year I got married :smile:  Was that church across from Wiltons?
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

jonnty

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 12:45:55 PM »
Hi Barry,

Here are some photos of St. Mary's Church of Ireland on the Crumlin road, Belfast.  These were taken in July 2010.  It was a rainy day and the photos are a bit clouded.  Silvio street on one side and Mc Candless street on the other. There is a parochial hall joined to the church, could this have also been the school?
jonnty   :smile:

jonnty

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 12:46:20 PM »

jonnty

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 12:46:47 PM »

irish colleen

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »
Hi chi  the church was on the corner of silvio street and I think Tennents street was the other side  long time ago  and forgot  just remember the church well  went to sunday school there  got confirmed there  my grans brother was a principal there  I think in 30s 40s  he lived on century street where the oldpark library is   oh my goodness thats going back  only remember great uncle because my gran would talk about him and I have his pic  on my photo page .  hope your hubby is doing better  will pm you  IC
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

irish colleen

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 04:32:10 PM »
jonnty thank you for posting those pics of st marys the 3rd pic down  I went in that door  of the church to  get married and out the one on the rightside  up on the corner there was a wool shop called mcconkeys  it show in one of my wedding pics  Irish Colleen
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

irish colleen

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »
just saw patricia margarets post too about the streets and I made a mistake it was Mccandles  street  on the r ight side   my aunt (my grans sister) lived down off there in Druse street (thisnk it is gone now)  any way :unsure:   :unsure:  they story there is  when I got married there at the church :air_kiss:   we had moved to bangor  and I wanted to get married a t st marys, so my aunt flo  allowed me to stay up at her house :air_kiss:   so banns could be read and all that stuff :swoon:   :swoon:  so on my marriage certificate it says I lived in Druse street :angry2: ,  the laugh is :girl_blum:   :girl_blum:  all my  poor wee aunts neighbors when they saw  the church  bullitin and weddings in it    all said to her       ""WE DIDN'T SEE ANY BRIDE LEAVE YOUR HOUSE'"   we all had a laugh at that  one :D I left from my own home in bangor 
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

JA

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 12:49:35 AM »

I attended both St.Mary's church and school from about 1945 to 1951. The school at that time ran parallel with the church from Silvio St. to McCandless St. A Miss O'Hara was the Head Mistress. The building(s) was still there in 2003. As irish colleen said it sure did not look like that years ago. I thought at first it was the Palais Alhambra Bobdenn was posting.
JA.

JA

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 12:55:58 AM »

Patricia Margaret, I should have said that the 3rd photo from jonnty showed the old school that I went to.
JA.

barry

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 02:15:45 AM »
Thanks,  Jonnty/Ja/chi,  I  think  I  know  the  Church ? , was  it  across
from Wilton's  Funeral  parlor ?? ( or  close  to it )