Author Topic: St. Mary's Church of Ireland, Crumlin Road.  (Read 22648 times)

DOFFER

Re: St. Mary's Church of Ireland, Crumlin Road.
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »
DANUBE ST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BOOKIES ,,,,,,,,,,,,,BEATTIES SHOP ,,,,,,BOWLING GREEN PUB,,,,,,,,DRENNENS CHIP SHOP , SNOOKER HALL, SCHOOL /CHURCH,,,,,,,,,,,MRS GREEN MRS BOYDE ,,,,MRS MCCLENNAND,,,,,,MRS BLACK ,ETC ETC AND MY GRAN MRS RANKIN,,
LOVELY WIDE STREET FOR PLAYING IN ,SKATING ,HOPSOTCH ,SKIPPING ,THERE WAS ANOTHER LADIES DRESS SHOP CORNER DANUBE AND MC CANDLESS ST CANT RECALL THE NAME BUT REMEMBER THEY WERE VERY EXPENSIVE ,,,,DONT THINK THEY TOOK PROVEDENT ,LOL
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

chi

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »
DANUBE ST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BOOKIES ,,,,,,,,,,,,,BEATTIES SHOP ,,,,,,BOWLING GREEN PUB,,,,,,,,DRENNENS CHIP SHOP , SNOOKER HALL, SCHOOL /CHURCH,,,,,,,,,,,MRS GREEN MRS BOYDE ,,,,MRS MCCLENNAND,,,,,,MRS BLACK ,ETC ETC AND MY GRAN MRS RANKIN,,
LOVELY WIDE STREET FOR PLAYING IN ,SKATING ,HOPSOTCH ,SKIPPING ,THERE WAS ANOTHER LADIES DRESS SHOP CORNER DANUBE AND MC CANDLESS ST CANT RECALL THE NAME BUT REMEMBER THEY WERE VERY EXPENSIVE ,,,,DONT THINK THEY TOOK PROVEDENT ,LOL

:) Doffer are you having fun :-*
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

rathlin

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2013, 10:58:28 PM »
A beautiful church.  :)
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

irish colleen

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:22 PM »
A beautiful church.  :)
was married  at  St Marys  1966  it was a beautiful church  then have not  been in it since  then :)
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

chaingang

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »
Have just joined this forum having read all the posts and what a nostalgic journey that was. I lived in Silvio St and attended St Mary`s School, then Edenderry followed by Inst.On reflection I realise what an effect St Marys school and church (incl Sunday School) - time in the Boys Brigade and Youth Fellowship plus Claude Atkinson`s Sat evening `boys club` - has had on me. Many people influenced me greatly eg Miss O`Hara and Miss Mc Kee who taught my father also. Anyone of my vintage must remember Alan Buchanan who came as rector just after the war, then became Bishop of Clogher. A man who lived the faith. The curates too were brilliant and I must say (being keen on sport) that most of these young men were competitive sportsmen as were the ones at Trinity College Mission. and possibly Byron St Mission. I don`t think that is the case today certainly not in the Episcopal Church in Scotland. Regarding my connections with St Mary`s as a boy I feel it did not make me as good as I might have been (mea culpa) but it made it extremely difficult for me to be really bad.
I believe I was very fortunate to be raised where I was raised - school and church and the people who encouraged and guided me and the very genuine people I interacted with in `our area` wasn`t Belfast just a collection of wonderful villages in those days.?

Wasup

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2013, 12:17:09 AM »
Chain gang

Welcome to the forum.    I to went to St Marys church for Sunday school lessons. Not because I wanted too but because my  Mum insisted.  Much to my shame the half crown she gave me in a church envelope usually ended up in a tobacconists shop! My mate ( Jim Scott) also had an envelope from his Mum and each week we would use one of them to buy the fags. What we didn't know then was that the church would print ( yearly) in the church magazine, the names of the parishioners and the amount they had contributed!!  We had a lot of explaining to do to our parents that year.  However,I agree with you that if the church didn't exactly make us saints it probably stopped us from being complete sinners !!!!     And yes reverend Buchanan was a fine man much admired. I believe he was a prisoner of war in a Japanese camp for a number of years.  I have ended up an atheist but St Marys is not to blame for that, I blame the tobacconists.

Wasup

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2013, 12:24:09 AM »
Chain gang

I forgot to mention that I also went to Edenderry and before that my niece Ella and my sisters Myrtle and Annie. You may even have known them. Because of your knowledge of Alan Buchanan i am assuming you went there prior to 1954 ?

chaingang

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2013, 09:38:22 PM »
Thanks for your comments Wassup. I`m sure I must have known some of your family
If I remember correctly Alan Buchanan went down with the troops at Arnheim (spelling) I think he signed on as a `fighting man` as opposed to padre.
One of the teachers at Edenderry  trained as a teacher after the war - he also taught at St Mary`s sunday school. Poor guy he was in a bad way both physically and mentally. Now I`m almost certain he was in a Japanese POW camp. Cannot remember his name.
Will keep viewing this page for some more jems

Bambazonki

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 02:46:20 PM »
Hello every one. I have just joined and have been looking for info on St Mary's Church. I went to the primary school, which is now a surgery. I left the school around 1959 & then moved to Byron Steet school for some reason. Once I finished there I went to Dunlambert Secondary in Fortwilliam. I grew up at 20 St Mary's Street which is now long gone. One of my primary school teachers was a Miss Burgoyne who was a farmers daughter from Rathisland (hope the spelling is right). I had great memories of the Crumlin Road & moved to Glengormley in 1962. Eventually with the troubles I emigrated to Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) & then too Cape Town South Africa until I returned to the UK in July 2009.

Paliju

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2013, 01:34:49 PM »
Hi Everyone. I too have just joined. Lovely to see pics of the church because my gr GDR grandparents were married there in 1869  :)

dennis king

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2013, 10:15:58 AM »
I went to St Marys school from 1952-57 and remember a Mrs Burgoynewho was  a teacher.  She beat me up and called me a pig.  I told my mum who went up and hit her with her shoe!  She never bothered me again!

dennis king

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2013, 10:19:16 AM »
I remember Mr Bucanan well-he used to tell us stories all the time.  Nice man! :D

tojook2005

Re:and wat bout queensland stSt. Mary's Church of Ireland, Crumlin Road.
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2013, 03:20:47 AM »
:o  Ops! I forgot about Tasmania St. ::) :) and wat bout queensland street

tojook2005

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2013, 03:22:55 AM »
6 was married  at  St Marys  1966  it was a beautiful church  then have not  been in it since  then :)
was married there myself colleen 1968

Alanjoseph

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2017, 06:31:13 AM »
I was born in st mary street in 1958, I went to st marys school and then to edenderry primary. I would love to get more information about the area. I know there was a shop called bernies at the top of the street. My father worked in mccombs bakery.