Author Topic: Gallaher's Tobacco  (Read 40333 times)

DONNANEESON

Re: Gallaher's Tobacco
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2017, 07:15:59 PM »
Hi Delane,

I found a small notice in the April issue of Smoke Rings, 1947;

"Mrs Maguire (Cigarette Stripping) after 38 years with the Company was presented with a purse of notes by the Staff and her fellow workers."

I am afraid that is all I can find. The Smoke Rings only began in 1946 for the York Street Factory only initially and then it was Company-wide in 1947. No doubt after 38 years she was well known.
My granda was the gateman, but I doubt if he searched you.

true blood fan

« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2017, 12:26:08 AM »
My maiden name was Wallace and i worked in 2R as a ward clerk on the tobacco side from April 61 to April 68 then i got married and moved to west Yorkshire. i'd love to hear from anyone who might remember me. i've been in touch with 2 friends Dolorces Griffin and Roberta McCullough but i'd love to hear from anyone to keep up to date with the gossip x

Bigali

« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2017, 12:38:10 AM »
My oldest brother when he was home on leave used to buy Gallahers Blues and Greens by the fistful and sell them to his mates in the army barracks , when he was in the Far East they were apparently barracks currency
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

beresford

« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2017, 02:52:01 PM »
my mother worked at Gallaher's not too sure what she did or when she was there but i'm guessing some time middle 1920's to Middle 1930's, at the time she was living in Carrick Hill Place  name was Clara O'Boyle/Boyle ,,, could be that my Gtrandmother Mary Ann  worked there as well she was a Roller is that connected

was wondering if there were any old photo's anywhere of the inside , anyone any idea if there are any work records for that time frame about or who i would need to contact to find out ,,,,,, thanks in advance x

Bread Basket

« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2017, 04:59:02 PM »
my mother worked at Gallaher's not too sure what she did or when she was there but i'm guessing some time middle 1920's to Middle 1930's, at the time she was living in Carrick Hill Place  name was Clara O'Boyle/Boyle ,,, could be that my Gtrandmother Mary Ann  worked there as well she was a Roller is that connected

was wondering if there were any old photo's anywhere of the inside , anyone any idea if there are any work records for that time frame about or who i would need to contact to find out ,,,,,, thanks in advance x
Beresford, go to the home page, look to the top right and you will see a search box, type in Gallagher's and you will get a load of results which will include photos.

Bread Basket

« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2017, 05:04:33 PM »

Forgot to say PRONI could have records but the 100 year rule may apply if you are looking for stuff from the 20's & 30's

seosamh

« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2020, 11:25:19 PM »
Hello Fiona, i worked in the tobacco side of Gallagher's from 1968 to 1975. We produced pipe tobacco, cigars and snuff.
We worked on production machines weighing Condor sliced and ready rubbed tobacco in 1oz and 2oz packs, the machine then wrapped it and packed it. There was a lot of chat and sing songs and nearly every week we had someone dressed up carrying their decorated 'POE' and getting tied to a lamp outside cause they were getting married. We didn't smell the best at the end of the day but there was no smell of the money and they paid well.
Hi wonder woman, i see that you worked in the condor department I used to go out with a girl I think worked in your department cause she would talk about the pipe tobacco,  her name was patricia and I have forgotten her surname she came from the shankill but always stayed at her sister's house in silvo st about 5 doors down from st mary's church so we would meet there but as the trouble started she was scared for me coming onto the shankill we stopped seeing each other to see if things would quieten down but it didn't we would meet up at romano's she used to sit on a high step at the side entrance of a shop i think at the corner of meadow st / north queen st, would love to know if she is still about she loved working in gallaghers

wonder woman

« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2020, 11:42:17 AM »
Sorry for the delay I haven't been on the forum for a few years.
I didnt work with a Patricia from the Shankill but Gallaghers had massive rooms with around 100 or more people working in each room.
By the way I hope your all staying in and keeping well. Hope for the future xx
My head is in a spin, my feet don't touch the ground.