Author Topic: Gallaher's Tobacco  (Read 42124 times)

aussietrekker

Re: Gallaher's Tobacco
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 11:07:26 AM »
Yes they got replies, but my Granny ended up with a bloke from Newry who was lodging at her Ma's house in Moffett Street. So no romantic ending like the biscuit lady.They lived on the New Lodge Road till they got old and died. Their names were Joseph and Mary, and Joseph was a carpenter.
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

wonder woman

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 05:59:58 PM »
Yes they got replies, but my Granny ended up with a bloke from Newry who was lodging at her Ma's house in Moffett Street. So no romantic ending like the biscuit lady.They lived on the New Lodge Road till they got old and died. Their names were Joseph and Mary, and Joseph was a carpenter.
aussie can you tell us thier surname, some of us might remember the family.
My head is in a spin, my feet don't touch the ground.

belle

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 07:24:25 PM »
aussietrecker, i would like to know too, i was brought up in Moffatt Steet. :smile:
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

aussietrekker

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 10:21:11 AM »
It was MCGURGAN. But it's a long time since they lived in Moffett Street.They lived in Carnmoney Street for a few years, then mostly in New Lodge Road till they died. My aunt Maureen never left the neighbourhood- she married young and had 9 children, ( Patsy, Sean, Gerard, Paul, Joseph, Dolores, Kathleen, Irene and Teresa, their name was McKee and they lived in Carntall Street. Maureen ended up in a pensioner's house over the road from her Ma's old place, and only died two or three years ago. She still has about a million descendants in the district.
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

fionabyrne

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »
Thanks for uploading this photo! Can you tell me where it was taken?

Was it at one of the factories?

Fiona

Thanks Garmoyle,

The ladies look have they are enjoying his company! I wonder why he was visiting?

I have seen pictures of Laurence Olivier at the York Street Factory when the Olivier cigarettes were being launched.

It's so strange to think how much has changed even within advertising! You wouldn't see a famous actor promoting cigarettes now, much less put their name on them!

Eat

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 02:37:29 PM »
I lived in meadow st almost directly opposite the gates of Gallaghers. You always knew what time it was by the various hooters that went off during the day.

ravengirl

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 03:10:12 PM »
That looks like Richard Todd, a great British actor....starred in lots of films, one being "The Hasty Heart" with Ronald Reagan in it!!!
Sure God created man before woman, but then again you always make a rough draft before creating the final Masterpiece.

stevieboy

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »
That looks like Richard Todd, a great British actor....starred in lots of films, one being "The Hasty Heart" with Ronald Reagan in it!!!

That is Richard Todd, RAF pilot and great British actor.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

waldo

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »
Hi MARY

Your aunt Mary did she live apposite Martha Bradley in Lowry Street.

fionabyrne

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 09:24:54 AM »
I have never heard of Richard Todd before. I have just been sorting through a lot of Gallaher showcards and some were of OLIVIER cigarettes with Sir Laurence Olivier on them. Apparently Sir Ian McKellan remembers when he worked at a theatre Olivier founded in the 60s, that all the vending machines were stocked with only Olivier cigarettes and he always had an allowance of cigarettes he could give out to to friends and family.

stevieboy

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 07:21:14 PM »
I have never heard of Richard Todd before. I have just been sorting through a lot of Gallaher showcards and some were of OLIVIER cigarettes with Sir Laurence Olivier on them. Apparently Sir Ian McKellan remembers when he worked at a theatre Olivier founded in the 60s, that all the vending machines were stocked with only Olivier cigarettes and he always had an allowance of cigarettes he could give out to to friends and family.

fionabyrne: Good lord, never heard of Richard Todd!!!!!! Tut, Tut. Where have you been girl?

fionabyrne

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »
I have heard about the hooters! What times did they go off at? Were they like a calling for worker's to get in the morning? or lunch breaks?

I lived in meadow st almost directly opposite the gates of Gallaghers. You always knew what time it was by the various hooters that went off during the day.

fionabyrne

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »
Sorry Stevieboy I hadn't heard of him! I wonder why he was there at the factory though? Anyone know??

fionabyrne: Good lord, never heard of Richard Todd!!!!!! Tut, Tut. Where have you been girl?

McGurggle

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »
He was a pipe smoker (some of his best movie shots were of him with a pipe in his gob) so Gallaghers paid him to sponsor Condor Sliced pipe tobacco.
Heres some idea of his movies. http://www.rexfeatures.com/live/z132914424/actor_richard_todd_dies_aged_90
He liked a 'feg too... http://compare.ebay.com/future/400036157183?var=svip&sort=BestMatch&clk_rvr_id=251822416298
McG

McGurggle

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 10:31:39 AM »