Author Topic: Gallaher's Tobacco  (Read 42123 times)

fionabyrne

Re: Gallaher's Tobacco
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
Thank you, it is a fantastic picture! I had no idea Gallaher's sponsored him for Condor. Pity I have not come across any Condor showcards or adverts featuring him. Do you know any other interesting facts about Gallaher's?

fionabyrne

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 11:38:57 AM »
Thanks for adding extra information for the picture of Richard Todd :)

Dickie

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 07:26:18 PM »

My Aunt Peggy McKenna RIP is the girl behind the scales with the huge smile.

Richard Todd, York Street Factory promoting Condor. Anyone recognise any of the smiley faces?
What a marvellous night for a Moondance

tboy

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »
every one of them a beauty queen :smile:  and don't forget Gallahers in Ballymena now they were nice girls too :smile:

fionabyrne

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 12:24:41 PM »
Thanks Dickie,

Did your Aunt Peggy ever talk about her time working at Gallaher's?

My Aunt Peggy McKenna RIP is the girl behind the scales with the huge smile.

fionabyrne

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »
Of course the Lisnafillan Gallaher Girls! I have seen some photos of the York Street Factory after the Belfast Blitz in 1941. It was the damage that prompted a new factory to be built just outside Ballymena. It is a shame the original Belfast factory isn't there anymore.

I have seen some recruitment booklets from the '60s for the Lisnafillan Factory targeted at school girls to get a job for life. You don't get that job security today!

every one of them a beauty queen :smile:  and don't forget Gallahers in Ballymena now they were nice girls too :smile:

harrydunn

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 08:31:53 PM »
back in the early 60s Gallagher's was not a job for life for women we were married 1962  my wife lost her job the week we married,Gallagher's policy then was when a girl got married they were paid off.

belle

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »
harry, i forgot about that! i heard that before. mind it used to be the same in nursing and teaching.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

tboy

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 09:11:42 PM »
back in the early 60s Gallagher's was not a job for life for women we were married 1962  my wife lost her job the week we married,Gallagher's policy then was when a girl got married they were paid off.
and why not? did you think Gallahers or any other big employer was going to pay 'maternity leave' please that is the reason that there are no more 'big' employers BTW  Gallahers maintence staff were looking for'paternity leave' just before Gallahers  said 'we are off to the far east , bye bye. :D

Dickie

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 11:36:51 PM »
Hello,

Fiona my mother and my aunt both worked at Gallahers. My aunt Peggy left school 1930's and worked there for the next 50yrs. My mother worked there until married in the mid 1940's and left to rear a family. She went back to Gallahers late 60's when times were a bit hard when my father took ill, she worked there for about 10yrs.
My granny and my grandfather met working in Gallahers around 1912 and fell in love and got married, she worked as per the census as a "Stripper".
I remember the horn I would take a bet it went off at 5 to 8 I biggest memory was the smell overpowering at times. The girls would stream along Nr Queen St and York St in there overall. My mother had a overall in the late 60's made of some sort of synthetic material kept giving us electric shocks.

Thanks Dickie,

Did your Aunt Peggy ever talk about her time working at Gallaher's?
What a marvellous night for a Moondance

fionabyrne

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 09:46:32 AM »
Dickie, thank you for sharing that. Can't believe your aunt worked there for 50 years! She must have seen some changes in that time! It seems you have quite the family history with Gallaher's. Did you ever see inside the factory yourself or work there?

What did your grandfather do at Gallaher's? He and your grandmother might have seen Old Tom Gallaher himself round and about the York Street factory! I have seen pictures of him with his top hat and blackthorn walking stick which seems to have infamous and some of the Smoke Rings Gallaher magazines say if he was passing you by you could have gotten a whack from the stick!

I will try to get some of these photos scanned and uploaded.

Hello,

Fiona my mother and my aunt both worked at Gallahers. My aunt Peggy left school 1930's and worked there for the next 50yrs. My mother worked there until married in the mid 1940's and left to rear a family. She went back to Gallahers late 60's when times were a bit hard when my father took ill, she worked there for about 10yrs.
My granny and my grandfather met working in Gallahers around 1912 and fell in love and got married, she worked as per the census as a "Stripper".
I remember the horn I would take a bet it went off at 5 to 8 I biggest memory was the smell overpowering at times. The girls would stream along Nr Queen St and York St in there overall. My mother had a overall in the late 60's made of some sort of synthetic material kept giving us electric shocks.

db

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 10:22:19 AM »
l applied for a job there when l left school l remember having to put these little pegs in holes and was timed doing it,  l did,nt get the job best thing ever happened to me   db

Mary K. Rossi

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 01:16:20 PM »
Yes Waldo, my aunts lived on Lowry st., across from Martha Bradley.  I'm having a hard time getting my emails to take.  write back.  who are you?  This is Mary Kinsella.  I left Belfast in 1957 and live in New York now.

harrydunn

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »
and why not? did you think Gallahers or any other big employer was going to pay 'maternity leave' please that is the reason that there are no more 'big' employers BTW  Gallahers maintence staff were looking for'paternity leave' just before Gallahers  said 'we are off to the far east , bye bye. :D
no such thing as paid maternity leave in those days there was also a presumption every married woman was going to have children as soon as.

fionabyrne

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 03:57:05 PM »
I suppose Gallaher's were no different than most other companies at the time about Maternity Leave. They seemed to be good to their staff though and Tom Gallaher was the first in the tobacco industry to offer paid holidays and looking through some of the companies reports in the '60s, staff often got bonuses if the company was doing well which it seemed to be in that decade anyway.

There were some amount of Engagements, Marriages and Births in both the Lisnafillan and York Street factories. Every monthly issue of the in-house magazine announced at least half a dozen of each!