Author Topic: Belfast Flower Sellers  (Read 5879 times)

BelBhoy

Belfast Flower Sellers
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:43:17 PM »
I was wondering if anyone remember the flower sellers at Milltown Cemetry. My Granny Barnes (nee Conlon) and her sister did it for years. Just wondering if anyone remembered them and had any stories or photos.

Apparently the also sold them at the Co-op.

Belbhoy

Sally Ann

Re: Belfast Flower Sellers
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 06:19:01 PM »
Hi BelBhoy and welcome to the forum.

When I was in primary school, one of the girls in my class, her Granny was a Flower Seller at the City Hall,  and I always think of them as being iconic with that view of the front of the Dome of Delight.  I know also one of the lady's sold flowers at the gates of Milltown every Sunday, so you may well be related to my old school chum, whose surname, I think, was Barr.

Sadly they are all long gone and the business now going to the big supermarkets and the like.
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

[email protected]

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 06:34:48 PM »
The lady who sold the flowers at the city hall was called Daley she came from Scotch Street in the Pound Lonley

spot

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »

Florrie Daly with her Daughter in her Arms selling Flowers outside the City Hall she was a Bow street Woman the three kids are all hers Gertie Laura and Tommy
Spot

frank.m

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 06:34:07 PM »
I was wondering if anyone remember the flower sellers at Milltown Cemetry. My Granny Barnes (nee Conlon) and her sister did it for years. Just wondering if anyone remembered them and had any stories or photos.

Apparently the also sold them at the Co-op.

Belbhoy...hi belbhoy what a small world i remember your grandmother well infact she was my wifes aunt but she had 2 sisters selling flowers there was MAY and ANNIE THERE WAS A LARGE FAMILY of conlons they lived in coachs st witch one of the barnes is your mother or father let me know

BelBhoy

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:43:49 AM »
Hi Frank

My Granny was Martha Barnes and my mum is Annie. I am researching that side of the family and I don't know much about them so anything you can tell me would be fantastic. Also my mums cousin is researching too and he is called Liam Conlon. He has a web site about the Conlons (http://liamconlon.co.uk/default.aspx)

Belbhoy

frank.m

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »
hi belbhoy my wife an i were looking at our wedding album and most off the barnes family is in a group picture your great grand mother is in it  we have a few old photos of the conlon family  as soon as i get a chance i will post them to you by the way are you still living in belfast  here is my e/mail address [email protected] now you can send me your e/mail address tell your mother that i was asking about her  just tell that i married to ANNIE KANE that is your 2nd cousin

Joel Hughes

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 10:52:50 PM »

Florrie Daly with her Daughter in her Arms selling Flowers outside the City Hall she was a Bow street Woman the three kids are all hers Gertie Laura and Tommy

Hello, I am gerties grandson, my great granny florrie daly is holding nora daly, gerties courin. Gertie is the child with the blonde hair standing beside nelly mcguiness on the left hand side of the photo. Write back please, i would like to know more! :D

bucksy

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »
joel i'm sure the lady in the centre is a young looking cassie lowe from 37 scotch st. as boys we used to take her loaded handcart to the city hall during the summer holidays

moondog2

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 08:06:36 PM »
YES IREMEMBER EMILY,AND FRANKIE  MOTHER SOLD FLOWERS @CITY HALL

bluebird

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
bucksy, moondog2 hello, excuse me jumping into the thread but I read you mentioning frankie lowe, if so, is he the same one who was in the merchant navy and emigrated to australia ? blue bird.
Hard Times,Bad times,Or Rough times.... I Still Have Faith in God.

moondog2

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 11:11:01 PM »
YES SAME ONE

bluebird

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »
Frankie, was my uncle, married to my aunt Della.  you know we lost him rip, january 2000. A really nice man, Aunt Della And Uncle frankie were so much in love . sad so sad. I did'nt know that about his mother, thanks for that information. blue bird. It really is strange the way we make connections on this forum .  blue bird.
Hard Times,Bad times,Or Rough times.... I Still Have Faith in God.

johnnymac

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 11:53:36 PM »
There is a piece of film on YouTube called, 'Belfast 1963.' In it some of the flower sellers at the city hall can be seen. There is one in particular in that film whom I remember from my childhood because she reminded me of my aunt Dorothy.

Liz51

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 08:18:55 PM »

Hello, I am gerties grandson, my great granny florrie daly is holding nora daly, gerties courin. Gertie is the child with the blonde hair standing beside nelly mcguiness on the left hand side of the photo. Write back please, i would like to know more! :D
  hi joel i remember your great granny very well her house in bow st backed on to my granny's in scotch st she was also a flower seller she was known as jada kelly her daughters mary & rosie were flower sellers also great to see people remember them all