Author Topic: Belfast Flower Sellers  (Read 6387 times)

Joel Hughes

Re: Belfast Flower Sellers
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 11:24:59 PM »
joel i'm sure the lady in the centre is a young looking cassie lowe from 37 scotch st. as boys we used to take her loaded handcart to the city hall during the summer holidays

Sorry im only replying now, the lady in the centre is Kathleen Daly who was married to Patsy Daly. Aunt Kathleen passed away a few months ago.

kate.o

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »
The lady who sold the flowers at the city hall was called Daley she came from Scotch Street in the Pound Lonley
hi ppdarkbilly, did you know a bridie calhagin?
scotch street if not baker street. :-* :-*

doare.

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 10:27:48 AM »

Hello, I am gerties grandson, my great granny florrie daly is holding nora daly, gerties courin. Gertie is the child with the blonde hair standing beside nelly mcguiness on the left hand side of the photo. Write back please, i would like to know more! :D
i worked with gertie in greeves mill in number 2 room, there was another older brother than tommy,
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

redzer

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 07:33:47 AM »
I remember your granny selling flowers outside Milltown she was with a lady named rooney if i remember correctly during the 1980's. My granny was florist too thats her in the photo at the city hall.

James James

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 05:44:28 PM »

Florrie Daly with her Daughter in her Arms selling Flowers outside the City Hall she was a Bow street Woman the three kids are all hers Gertie Laura and Tommy

I remember your granny selling flowers outside Milltown she was with a lady named rooney if i remember correctly during the 1980's. My granny was florist too thats her in the photo at the city hall.

Could the woman on the viewer's left of that picture be one of the women in the pictures and video clip in the posts below. ?

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,69152.msg1980815.html#msg1980815

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,69152.msg1980841.html#msg1980841

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,69152.msg1980859.html#msg1980859

misssmyth1

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 09:24:55 PM »
I remember the lady  flower seller at the City Hall .. One time when I was about (9 or 10 years old)   my favourite aunt was very ill and i saved two weeks pocket money to buy her some flowers. I was seriously looking at the beautiful mixture of flowers for ages  and wondering what I could buy for my 2 bob.....the lady asked my what I was looking for I told her I was buying flowers for my sick aunt and was just choosing something really nice although they were all beautiful in my eyes .. she asked my how much i had when I told her she suggested she could put something together for my aunt . the flowers were beautiful and when I took them to my aunts house with my mum she was so delighted and I got a lovey hug.. my mum said that that bunch of flowers were far too good for a 2 bob bunch, so the lovely flower seller must have put together a far more expensive bunch for me.. I never forgot that. she did say to me you are a very kind little girl..so a lovely memory of that lady .. my lovely  aunt made a full recovery and we had many  more years of lovely times together  

redzer

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 02:05:44 AM »
The lady on the left of the photo is Nellie Mc Guinness (nee Barr). She is my Grandmother if you go on to youtube and look up old Belfast 1963 she can be seen selling flowers at the city hall she then moved to Cornmarket and sold flowers at what was the entrance to the the old mooneys pub.

James James

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 06:11:28 AM »
1963 and the video that you are referring to are the ones on the pictures and video clip referred to in the links above.

misssmyth1 what date would that event of yours be.? A relative of the flower seller up to at least 1953 is posting on those links above and is looking for information about her.

misssmyth1

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 11:49:28 AM »
It must have been around 1959 I think  I only know she was kind and did a favour for a little girl giving her better value than she could afford...I have always remembered what she did.

brendariani

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
My great grandmother and aunt were also flower sellers at Belfast city hall. They presented flowers to the royal family regularly when they visited belfast. I can't seem to upload photos, but I'm sure they all must have known each other.

James James

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »
Are you using a Microsoft Windows computer or an Apple computer or device, some people sometimes have problems with posting pictures on here via Apple devices, it might be that there's some sort of incompatibility problem between the software that operates the forum, and Apple devices. If you can post an url, which you do in just the same way as if you were posting text into your message text window, then upload your picture to a picture uploading site, which you are already aware of, and then post the url of you uploaded picture into your message, and when your readers click on the picture url in your message, the picture will open and display.

boxer1949

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 07:29:52 AM »
I was wondering if anyone remember the flower sellers at Milltown Cemetry. My Granny Barnes (nee Conlon) and her sister did it for years. Just wondering if anyone remembered them and had any stories or photos.

Apparently the also sold them at the Co-op.

Belbhoy

misssmyth1

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 02:40:09 PM »
lovely photos you have all posted. brings back lovely memories .. I still buy my flowers from the street traders and try and support them ..I get better value too I recently bought a beautiful sunflower in a pot made  as it me smile and everyone who sees it makes a comment.  I always have fresh flowers in our home especially on  the hallway  table.   my mum couldn't afford to have flowers much they were  always just for a special occasion .. she had fake flowers in our living room that lasted for  years ..she washed them and dusted them and when I got my first pay packet I went  to the city hall and bought her a beautiful bunch of fresh flowers ,she was delighted.

brendariani

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 04:09:20 PM »
Lovely story. I love fresh flowers myself and buy bunches every week. Must take after my Great grandmother amd Aunt. Would love it if they were back at city hall. Was always colourful and welcoming. Might go into the business with my daughter 😀

jjmack

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »
I seem to remember flower sellers at Cormarket and Royal Avenue beside the Bank of Ireland who also had newspaper stands.          
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.