Author Topic: I Miss The Smell Of Belfast  (Read 20728 times)

Dommo

Re: I Miss The Smell Of Belfast
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2012, 01:16:22 AM »
I worked in Mackiies on the Springfield Road..Walking past Kennedy,s Bakery, the smell of Bread and Dough was Great..
This next one is not about smell, more so colour..I lived on Iveagh Street, as kids we used to play in the fields behind us bordering Celtic Park..The Blackie river ran between the Fields..It used to change colour all the time..One day green..next day a blue tinge..some days a light orange..and there where the area dogs, swimming in it and drinking it..No wonder why half the dogs in the area were either mad, or blind and mad..never stopped them chasing you though on your bike...
               Paul.
I helped deliver that bread. When you got a load of plain bread still warm  from the oven the smell was heavenly!
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Dommo

« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2012, 01:17:18 AM »
Hi homesick, it was more than likely the whiff from Andrews flour mill, Northhumberland st. ;)
was that right at where it met Divis street?

jmac

« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2012, 01:25:35 AM »
was that right at where it met Divis street?
Yes Dommo  :)
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

Dommo

« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2012, 01:32:07 AM »
Yes Dommo  :)
I used to sit upstairs on the bus so I could look in there, this is back in tne 70s cos I'm a million years old and went there to school in the Jurassic period. When I tell my kids about pounds snd pence, typewriters and black and white T Vs with three channels they look at me like I am a caveman!

sj

« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2012, 04:52:40 AM »
A smell associated with my youth was the smell of the Midland Railway station.  It smelt of hot oil and coal and the sight of a train oiler was indeed the sight of a man who looked as if he had been working hard all day.  Belfast doesn't seem to have many smells today .  I think that they have all moved to China :D
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Dommo

« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »
A smell associated with my youth was the smell of the Midland Railway station.  It smelt of hot oil and coal and the sight of a train oiler was indeed the sight of a man who looked as if he had been working hard all day.  Belfast doesn't seem to have many smells today .  I think that they have all moved to China :D
I think you are right about industry. I was amazed when I was there this year to find out how many people are permanently unemplyed or have never worked. A friend of mine Who works in DSS told me they had 180,000 peope getting DLA or sone other form of assistance due to chronic unemployment. That is an amazing number ad suggests thousands of jobs have indeed vanished.
Some of the smells from them days were unhealthy lke lots of coal fires. I loved the smells inside the RVH, it smelled so clean!

chesterroad

« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2012, 06:15:23 AM »
When I smell coffee beans being roasted it always reminds me of Liptons shop in Castle St,
Belfast.  The Belfast trolley buses also had a smell of their own.

sj

« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2012, 09:33:18 AM »
When I smell coffee beans being roasted it always reminds me of Liptons shop in Castle St,
Belfast.  The Belfast trolley buses also had a smell of their own.

Hello Chesterroad. .not quite sure what you mean. .but they were a very smooth ride if I remember correctly. .I can remember the smell of White's Milk Bar.  It smelt of all the flavours especially strawberry.  The most widespread smell was during Autumn when we had smog and everything smelt of burning coal. .and then there was Spring and the whole of the Cavehill smelt of Bluebells. ;)

Dommo

« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »

Hello Chesterroad. .not quite sure what you mean. .but they were a very smooth ride if I remember correctly. .I can remember the smell of White's Milk Bar.  It smelt of all the flavours especially strawberry.  The most widespread smell was during Autumn when we had smog and everything smelt of burning coal. .and then there was Spring and the whole of the Cavehill smelt of Bluebells. ;)
you were lucky to hwve some nature, too often west Belfast smelled of burning vehicles and tear gas. Chipped smelled better then the god they sold tasted ad about 68 they installed a doughnut masking machine in a shop windy near the Beehive Bar. It smelled great, but the sight of the raw dough dumped into hot fat so put we off that I never ate doughnuts agsn. Horses had a great horsely smell. Evn in my day they were an anachronism.

henry irwin

« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2012, 04:42:37 PM »
 aint that the truth. O0

Dot/dash

« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2012, 11:14:15 PM »
technically speaking a person cannot be ex alcoholic. It is a great thing when people can enjoy themselves without boozing it up.
some people enjoy boozing it up   :)     ...    others appear to enjoy themselves by being a know it all on the forum    :sarcastic:  .   ring any bells  ..   :D
love me          love my gelding     

Bigali

« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2012, 11:15:26 PM »
some people enjoy boozing it up   :)     ...    others appear to enjoy themselves by being a know it all on the forum    :sarcastic:  .   ring any bells  ..   :D

:D
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

sj

« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2012, 01:32:33 AM »
you were lucky to hwve some nature, too often west Belfast smelled of burning vehicles and tear gas. Chipped smelled better then the god they sold tasted ad about 68 they installed a doughnut masking machine in a shop windy near the Beehive Bar. It smelled great, but the sight of the raw dough dumped into hot fat so put we off that I never ate doughnuts agsn. Horses had a great horsely smell. Evn in my day they were an anachronism.
[/quote

Dommo ..we wen to the Cavehill during our Summer Hols and if it wasn't a good Spring some Bluebells would still be on the hill but if we got to go about May time the smell was electrifying ....the smell almost got to your clothes.  This would have been about early 50's so mo tear gas yet. ;) ..but I KNOW what you mean

Dommo

« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2012, 01:36:58 AM »
 I know! Belfast is in a very beautiful location, mountains, the coast, rivers etc. when I I visit I always drve up across the mountains north of Hannahston and the drumlins in county Down.

sj

« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2012, 07:23:08 AM »
I know! Belfast is in a very beautiful location, mountains, the coast, rivers etc. when I I visit I always drve up across the mountains north of Hannahston and the drumlins in county Down.

That's because you only know that way??? ;) ;)   Seriously ....I suppose that it is not surprising that when we visit we comtinue to go and travel places that remind us of our youth.   I tend to travel towards the NORTH and the Antrim Coast and Portrush and Ballycastle.  I worked for a time in Newcastle so it has an appeal to me.