Author Topic: I Miss The Smell Of Belfast  (Read 20643 times)

jmac

Re: I Miss The Smell Of Belfast
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2011, 10:50:25 PM »
the smell that used to come from the Lagan when the tide went out :bad: :bad:
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

mmcgoverne

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2012, 09:38:34 PM »
It's spooky coming across this thread - over Christmas I met up with two of my aunts, from different sides of the family, both from Belfast - one from Shore Road, the other from Newtownards Rd area and they both SEPARATELY said to me how much they miss the smell of Belfast; one said if it could be bottled she would snap it up! I must say I was a bit surprised, but I think that whatever the smell of your childhood or happy times is, it smells good. Maybe it's the sea breeze they're missing.... :)
Looking for info re the Jamisons @ garage 265-269 Shore Rd 1950s-70s
Fred & Eliza, Ian, Clifford (Caesar) Stanley, Ken, Harold, Winnie, Phyllis, Hilda

Giannineo

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2012, 09:55:14 PM »
the smell that used to come from the Lagan when the tide went out :bad: :bad:
powerful niff that was jmac,,,that and the Gasworks and the River Blackstaff smelled  like a kipper on heat...if you were  needing a Jimmy Riddle near the City Hall there used to be underground bogs in the middle of the road-you would take in enough breath to run down the stairs and splash and dash...just outside Belfast was Burnhouse corner where they processed oul dead horses into glue or something nasty... we would beg my father  not to drive past it if we were going out for a run in the car...it could be smelled for quite a distance around it--enough to give the hardiest of men the dry boke...stale beer from pubs-minging, and places which burned coke in boilers smelled like  f arts :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: :D

Sheila A

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2012, 04:37:29 AM »
I miss the smell of the bakeries....fresh baked baps....my uncle jimmy's pipe..loved the smell of that....now the smell from the slaughter house... :o there is only one time in all the years that I have been away that I got a good whiff of home and that was in Providence Rhode Island.....smell of the docks and little Italy all rolled into one.
Sheila A :)

henry irwin

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2012, 02:03:54 PM »
  :-* THE ONLY BELFAST SMELL I MISS, ARE ME WEE X GIRLFRIENDS COLOGNES AND OF COURSE ,WAIT FOR IT,  LIFEBUOY SOAP.  :-*

Giannineo

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 11:31:56 PM »
I miss the smell of the bakeries....fresh baked baps....my uncle jimmy's pipe..loved the smell of that....now the smell from the slaughter house... :o there is only one time in all the years that I have been away that I got a good whiff of home and that was in Providence Rhode Island.....smell of the docks and little Italy all rolled into one.
ach sheila, where have you been all my life?  :-**

Sheila A

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »
ach sheila, where have you been all my life?  :-**

Ach Mr. G man.....how's you? Hope all is well. ;) :-*

Giannineo

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2012, 10:50:46 PM »
Ach Mr. G man.....how's you? Hope all is well. ;) :-*
fine ta, all the better for seeing your cute wee bake on yir avatar...don't stay away so long  *

henry irwin

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
  what is an  eejitt, are they only in bellfast :-\

Sheila A

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »
fine ta, all the better for seeing your cute wee bake on yir avatar...don't stay away so long  *

ok Mr G...  *

henry irwin

on the fringe
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2012, 04:15:55 PM »
  ;)  just luv your donkey fringe. ;)

Prontispilotlight

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »
I grew up in Andytown and miss the smell of Donegal, that waft of warm air that catches the aroma of dried dead rabbit carcasses.  It's a sweet smell and i'm not the only one to appreciate it.  The stink of ye olde Belfast, the water course on the andytown road mid summer the blackwater and farset run offs kennedy way settling tank and general sewage works.  We're in a valley surrounded by rivers and streams, how do we show our appreciation? oh look a stream lets chuck a shopping trolley in it or better still a stolen car.   Give me Donegal any day.

henry irwin

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2012, 04:06:46 PM »
 donegal was fine till it became a bog for tourists. >:D

henry irwin

try it
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »
 what i miss most about drinking===nothing

kate.o

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
I still miss the smell of Eliza st bakery as we