Author Topic: old lodge road  (Read 97524 times)

Ginger33

Re: old lodge road
« Reply #330 on: September 25, 2016, 06:55:01 PM »
I remember the old lodge road though I was only abut 5 at the time think there was a chimney sweep lived in config street but I could be wrong .

Dee176

« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2017, 10:09:22 PM »
I'm trying to find information on a house fire where two young boys died in Dec 1941 for my mum they would have been her brothers we've found a newspaper clipping on the fire and a death certificate but 2 addresses 25 dagmar street and 25 carfour street where where these streets etc and can anyone remember the story or name burgess we want to piece everything together before we tell our mums/aunts/uncles etc

McNamee

« Reply #332 on: January 07, 2017, 10:13:39 PM »
Dee I am sorry I cannot help, but there are people on here who are absolutely wonderful at this sort of thing...I wish you all the best....xxx

St.Anthony

« Reply #333 on: January 10, 2017, 02:42:15 AM »
Dee, Dagmar and Cavour Streets ran from Old Lodge to Wall Street in Carrick Hill.

Wanderer

« Reply #334 on: July 16, 2017, 09:33:20 AM »
Went back to Twickenham Street in the nineties to show my eldest boy where I used to live and play but it had gone, replaced by a rats run of housing. Didn't think I had any emotional attachment to the old street but felt saddened that it had gone forever.

Gizmo17

« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2017, 05:38:27 PM »
Does any one no the shop at the corner of Bristol street Alice Massey owned had a daughter Linda an son paul

Gizmo17

« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »
Maxine mahon

haonghusa

« Reply #337 on: August 17, 2017, 07:53:55 PM »
Dee, the fire broke out in the Burgess family home at 25 Dagmar St. Apparently Mrs Burgess went out to get some groceries and when she returned about 15 minutes later the house was ablaze. Her two children, 3 year old John and 2 year old Raymond who were left alone on the sofa sadly died. Her husband, to make a sad story more tragic, was serving overseas at the time.

jakee

« Reply #338 on: September 06, 2017, 04:01:14 PM »
have been trying to find the pic someone says is on here of hanrattys pub but having no luck

Soup 123

« Reply #339 on: December 14, 2017, 01:12:51 PM »
In reply to Vic 46 , Albert Duff was my paternal uncle . He lived in Leadbetter St and worked in Sloanes ( next door ) as a lorry driver . His son also called Albert is living in Manchester. I occasionally see his sisters Mary and Eileen . I was born into 19 Rutherford St. my fathers name was Tommy Campbell, he drank in the Harrington bar also known as “ the House of Passion “ I was never brave enough to ask why   I,ve just found this forum and have spent an enjoyable few hours reading through it .
There a,int no money in POETRY,  that’s what sets the poet free.

vinnym

« Reply #340 on: December 14, 2017, 02:40:16 PM »
In reply to Vic 46 , Albert Duff was my paternal uncle . He lived in Leadbetter St and worked in Sloanes ( next door ) as a lorry driver . His son also called Albert is living in Manchester. I occasionally see his sisters Mary and Eileen . I was born into 19 Rutherford St. my fathers name was Tommy Campbell, he drank in the Harrington bar also known as “ the House of Passion “ I was never brave enough to ask why   I,ve just found this forum and have spent an enjoyable few hours reading through it .

I remember delivering to Sloans on Leadbetter Street, late 1971 or maybe early 1972, they were the only building in the area still occupied, the rest were derelict or being demolished. They had a couple of mean looking Alsatians chained up and I always made sure I kept out of their range.
Think Sloans eventually moved to somewhere near the top of the Shankill Rd., when they finally moved out of Leadbetter Street

Soup 123

« Reply #341 on: December 14, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
Thanks V . The streets  were full  of characters then . A couple of doors up from us lived an old guy called “ John the Boy “ and his wife . They were both illiterate, never learned to read or write , I remember my mother reading their letters aloud to them . A few doors down , on the other side lived Thomas Waite and his family , he runs a boxing club in the Stadium , I believe , a great guy .  :)
There a,int no money in POETRY,  that’s what sets the poet free.

Altoni

« Reply #342 on: December 19, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »
GIZMO 17
Yes I knew Alice Lynda Sammy and PAUL massey
Sammy died a few years back
Alice I see often

Altoni

« Reply #343 on: December 19, 2017, 03:25:49 PM »
Nan
I went to the Getty also hemsworth square