Author Topic: old lodge road  (Read 97515 times)

kate.o

Re: old lodge road
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2012, 03:21:34 AM »

On the left hand side (Baths) of where OLR was is now called Lime Court. It's a residential place for elderly people (Sheltered Dwellings) On the right hand side you still have Carrick Hill. (New houses)  Further up where Upper Townsend Street was there is a dual carriage way
called West Link. It connects the motorways and then you have the Lower Shankill Estate.
that got me mixed up when I went back,Townsend Street being made part of the motorway, it was a big change :-* :-*

curlywotsits

« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »
i was born in 244 old lodge road directly behind courthouse.my mother was one of the dalys who lived in fortingale street. does anybody know of them

My grandfather owned the bicyle shop at number 200, ill ask my mum i hae heard her talkig about the Dalys

curlywotsits

« Reply #197 on: May 05, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »
altoni thank u for your reply .that is correct my mother was olive she has sinced passed away along with betty walker and most of my aunts and uncles. does anybody remember hollywoods shop that sold pigs feet ,elder and tripe.albert hollywood the son is a pal of mine.you must all remember costellos bicycle shop.does anybody remember the jewish man who lived in perth st.

According to my mum the Jewish mans name was Mr Hodes (dont know about the spelling tho

St.Anthony

« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »
that got me mixed up when I went back,Townsend Street being made part of the motorway, it was a big change :-* :-*

Kate-o Townsend Street is actually still there.  The West Link runs parallel to it on the city centre side.  There are a number of small workshops or Enterprise Park as it is known.  Houses have an address as Upper Townsend Street across on the other side of Peter's Hill.
West link is below ground level, with walls on either side.  It goes under Clifton Street at the Orange Hall, Peter's Hill and Divis Street.

Altoni

« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »
hi was your grandfather billy costello if it was my family knew him well as we lived close by

curlywotsits

« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »
hi was your grandfather billy costello if it was my family knew him well as we lived close by

Altoni

He certainly was, his daughters Joan (my mum) Dorothy, Margaret & son Norman

Altoni

« Reply #201 on: May 05, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »
its a small world my uncle jim mercer used to go about with your grandad billy maybe your family would know him jim married eva from bristol street she had a sister called nina brothers willie and robert their mun was alice yaxley

altoni

curlywotsits

« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
It certainly is, i have heard Jimmys name mentioned many a time, he was a good friend of my Grandas

boxer1949

« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2012, 06:57:02 PM »
OLD LODGE ROAD 1886

spike mcauley

« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2012, 09:54:07 PM »
who remembers the penny tray in massey's shop in fortingale street/bristol street corner i bet ersky does hahaha

Altoni

« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2012, 08:04:14 AM »
hi spike
i remember the shop also women buying one tomato and a slice of cheese
at one time i heard a child ask for quarter of tea.
so different now.

Wasup

« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2012, 06:50:22 PM »

Does anyone remember the wee hall half way down Bristol Street on the corner (where you could exit into Fortingale and Perth Streets) and every Sunday they would have services?  My sister lived in Bristol Street and I remember going to the hall a few times. Thats where I learned to sing " Jesus bids us shine with a clear pure light"   Dont know what denomination it was? Only about 60 years ago mind you!

Altoni

« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2012, 07:03:30 PM »
hi wasup
the bottom end of bristol street  was occupied by most
of my family.
grandmother no 10
aunt               no  8
aunt               no  6
aunt               no 4
aunt               no 5
uncle             no 11

what house did your sister live in
altoni

St.Anthony

« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »

Bottom Old Lodge Road at Peter's Hill

seosamh

« Reply #209 on: June 06, 2012, 08:13:59 PM »
remember swimming in the wee triangle pool you could hardly see for the steam :D

Bottom Old Lodge Road at Peter's Hill