Author Topic: old lodge road  (Read 90683 times)

manitoba

Re: old lodge road
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 09:04:40 PM »
God I wish I would check the soelling before I post!!!!

jmac

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 09:08:41 PM »
Minns inn, aka Frenchies.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

tboy

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
Hi DMW,
This was his life story gwoeing up in the 30s'-40s' has all the old shops, streets and characters. It's a good read and trip dow memomery lane.
I don't have a the book as my cousin sent it to me and wanted it back. I scanned it and have it on a word file.
I could email it if you or any others want it.
I may try putting it into a PDF format but I dont think that would make a file any smaller.
it would be a great read if he had written in your style ;)

DMW

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 12:29:41 AM »
Manitoba -  I am in Hamilton ON and will be going to the Library later this week - if they don't have it I can have one of my nephews back home look for it.

DMW

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 12:47:28 AM »
Manitoba - not on  subject - but glad to see NHL back in Winnipeg. !!!!!!

manitoba

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 02:00:35 AM »
Tboy.

If he had written it in my style, you would still be trying to figure the fiest paragraph.

So tell me - How long is a piece of rope? :scratch_ones_head:

manitoba

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 02:13:43 AM »
Page 1 of
Memories of the Hammer and the Old Lodge Road
I was born in Osborne Street in the Tigers Bayarea of North Belfast in the year 1926.However my earliest childhood memories only begin when I was around four yearsold and my family had moved to Twickenham  Street on the Old Lodge Road.[/size]
]I spent my boyhood years and my teenage years in andaround the streets of the hammer and the Old Lodge Road and made many good friendsand playmates. As we moved from house to house and from street to street I madenew friends, new enemies, and discovered new ways to survive in a society thathad little to offer.][[size=0pt]On looking back I believe those years were very hardbut because a lot of us were in the same boat the poverty and the dreadfulliving conditions that some of us endured were accepted as normal. Yet throughit all we had our good times and our bad times, we survived the bitter timesand riots of the thirties, the outdoor relief, the Saturday night free for allwhen the pubs got out and we came through the horror and pain of the secondworld war.
]As I record my memories I’m sure a lot of people wouldrecognize the situations I experienced, the games I played, the mischief I andmy friends got up to for as I progress through the years fresh incidents springto mind and old faces come to light and so I have done my best to keep mywritings in some sort of chronological order.
]The Old Lodge Road or the Lodge as it wascommonly known was approximately one mile long and it stretched from the backof the courthouse at the top end of where it joined Peter’s Hill at the bottomend. In between you had a total of thirty four streets, fifteen on one side,than ran through to Peter’s Hill and part of the Shankill Road, on the otherside, the streets ran through to Clifton Street and part of the Crumlin Road,the bottom four streets on that side were occupied by Roman Catholics as werethe streets in between that ran through to Clifton Street. The remainder of thestreets were occupied by Protestant families as were the little side streetsthat ran through to Peter’s Hill and the Shankill Road. 

]I think it would be true tosay that the streets on the upper part of the road i.e. Perth Street, BedequeStreet and Court Street etc were considered to be more affluent than most ofthe other streets on the road, mainly because they consisted of the largeparlour houses as compared with the little kitchen houses which filled thestreets on the rest of the road, I would also say there were bigger and youngerfamilies living in the kitchen house areas. [/size]My earliest memories go back to the time when I was about four years oldand living in Twickenham Street, at that time I had an older sister calledMaisie, she would have been nine or ten years old, a younger sister calledJessie who would have been three years younger than me, our youngest sisterLily was to be born about a year later. My Father also called Albert, althoughfor some unknown reason was known to everyone as George, was an Englishman bornin Famham, Surrey. He had joined the Army atan early age and served as a blacksmith during the First World War and as Iunderstand served in the South of Ireland at the Curragh where he finished hisArmy service and to the best of my knowledge remained in Ireland, moved to Belfast where he must have met and married myMother. He initially was employed as a chauffeur come handyman in one of thelarge houses on the Antrim Roadwhere he was regarded as “A good worker and handy with motor cars”, this from areference dated September 1926. He took up the position of gardener in theBelfast Charitable Institution in Clifton  Street in 1927 and remained there until hisretirement in 1938. My Mother I believe was “in service” in some of the largehouses and I think that was quite a common occupation for a lot of the youngwomen in those days, I understand she was born in the Ballymena area but wehave no records to prove this, in fact as my story will show we know verylittle of my Mother or her family.

tboy

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »
Hello Albert, I enjoyed reading your memories,there must be a lot more.BTW I thought you were another guy who uses the same avator or whatever its called, a picture of Roy Orbinson  :smile:   good luck  Tboy.

Achillrain

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 05:54:46 PM »

Hi Manitoba
I'd really like to read the history of the Old Lodge -
would be much appreciated if you could
download.  Very interesting like so much
of the old stories and history of Belfast.

Altoni

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 07:43:54 PM »
hi manitoba
i have read the memories of the hammer and the old lodge road. A friend of mine lilian her mum was one of the sisters in the book. i really enjoyed the book

manitoba

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 08:28:36 PM »
Hi Manitoba
I'd really like to read the history of the Old Lodge -
would be much appreciated if you could
download.  Very interesting like so much
of the old stories and history of Belfast.

Hi Achillrain,
I'd love to download this to the forum but I think it would be too big, the word doc is 48 pages.
If I could figure out a way to post the file i will. So far I have not found a paste function on the reply.
I haven't figured out how to send  a PM. I tried insert email but don't know the email address.

Does anyone out there know who this can be done - can it (the word doc) be uploaded to photobucket or tiny pic and viewed from there.

Help if you can.

Manitoba

Hey Tboy,
Did you figure out how long the length of a piece of rope is? Im sure your granny must have told you this.

tboy

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »
In the Ropeworks we used to measure the length from one end to the middle and and ask someone in the office to multiply it x2

manitoba

Re: Rope
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 02:43:12 AM »
HI TBOY,
Very clever those rope world blokes.  My granny it was Twice the half it length.

Never had the pleasure of visiting the rope works must have been some operation.
I used to teach the Cubs and Scouts how to make rope here in Manitoba, just using three strands of binder twine.

You sure get around on BF. I've seen you on all sorts of threads.

I found out that I can only attach 128kb file on the thread, the file for the Od Lodge road in 44 Mb

Have a good day.

DMW

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 02:44:49 AM »
Manitoba - Achillrain
I went looking(googled) for that book and found another website : Your Place and Mine - Belfast - (nothing has been posted there since 2008) Anyway I came across a post by a Maryann Quigley - looking for a poem about the Old Lodge Road by Albert Haslett - and since she had her email address there - I directed her to look at the Belfast Forum to see if she might come across some old friends that might help her.   Later on I again googled - Albert Haslett and lo and behold I find the poem posted by none other than Manitoba  !! !! On posting of "roam round belfast" How about that.  I will definitely send her another email - I don't know where she is  -
and direct her again here.   

manitoba

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 03:59:28 AM »
Hi again DMW.

I sent Maryann Quigley a copy of the Hammer & Old lodge about 2 years ago.

I found a lot of into on Your Place and mine (BBC) but as you say it dosent seem to be active any more.

I found out that I can only attach a 128 kb file on the forum - the story is about 44 Mb. So I am in the process of saving each chapter as a file then I will post a couple of chapters a day.

Have you read "Farewell to the Hammer" by John Young Simms, it is another good read. Unfortunatly John passed away in 1995.
I used to play in the hammer and went to the Hen house.
MB