Author Topic: old lodge road  (Read 91450 times)

toadstool999

Re: old lodge road
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2011, 09:53:46 PM »
Minns inn, aka Frenchies.

My friend's uncle lived across the street from Minn's and we would sit in his house watching football and nip across the street and bring back pints of stout from the pub.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

tommc

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 11:58:26 PM »
the elephant and castle bar corner of florence place.jerry flynn bar at court st bothwell barbers.galloways grocers corner of bradford st does anyone remember any more shop
my sister has a picture of my old man outside the elephant with two of his mates rab mcallister he lived in bradford street at the top just before te break in the street brought you out the side of the court house

wataboutye

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2011, 04:38:21 AM »

OMG!! The nit clinic in Ariel St.....brrrrrrrrrr It was mustard. I used to think everybody had to go!  ::) ::)

The underground toilets at the junction of Old lodge and Agnes.

Sure if I don't see you thru the week I'll see you thru the windie!

wataboutye

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 04:57:01 AM »
I remember having gas to get a tooth out in Areil St clinic,when I came round after it I was unceremoniously dumped out the door onto the Street, I didn't know what day of the week it was & was staggering all over the place & felt sick as a pig :bad: :bad: :(

That oul rubber gas mask they put on you was desperate, I can still smell it, but you were out like a light in in no time flat and didn't know a thing till it was all over.
 Hated it then but would much prefer it to the dreaded needles they give you now.
Jmac it probably wasn't the last time you staggered all over the place sick as a pig  ;) ;)   

boxer1949

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 04:58:20 AM »
Anyone remember Mazes chipie corner of Denmark St / Old Lodge was famous for there mushy peas

wataboutye

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 05:01:49 AM »
my sister has a picture of my old man outside the elephant with two of his mates rab mcallister he lived in bradford street at the top just before te break in the street brought you out the side of the court house

Welcome aboard yer man tommc!  Great forum! ye couldn't beat it with a big stick!

wataboutye

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 05:08:53 AM »

What about yer man "the Indian fella" with the suitcase selling "lucky knickers". he was from Denmark street??

wataboutye

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 12:48:58 PM »
Peters Hill Baths. Magic. Good photo of the pool SOS. We weren't allowed in the "big" pool, that was reserved for clubs. The two "big" bits of of red corporation triangles of cloth held together with a bit of string they passed of as trunks. Yer knackers hung out all over the place. The wee white starched towel stood up on it's own! Ye had to wash yer ankles in the oul freezin shower down the end and he'd chase you with the big pole till ye did it. Mind you our ankles were always piggin for some reason. How long did we get? half an hour? They said a wee lad drowned in it once and they never seen him on the bottom for a week  :unsure: :unsure:
Somebody else said somewhere on the forum about lukin up the wee girls swimmers but I never remember it being mixed bathing? The noise, the smell, jumping off the changing boxes (if waterboots wasn't lukin) Hated that shower but. In later years up the stairs to the washers on a Friday afternoon. Those were the days eh!!!!!

Altoni

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »
i remember going to a shop at the corner of leadbetter street for elder and pigs feet and across the road at the butcher 1lb of loin chops 2 shillings

Eamonhan

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 11:29:17 PM »
Our family used to own Hanratty's bar on the Old Lodge Road during the 60's it was on the corner of Conlon St I think, there was a parade of shops opposite with Ina Mc Cleans backery and a chemist.

wataboutye

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2011, 12:21:43 AM »
Our family used to own Hanratty's bar on the Old Lodge Road during the 60's it was on the corner of Conlon St I think, there was a parade of shops opposite with Ina Mc Cleans backery and a chemist.

Welcome to the forum EamonH. I'm a bit new myself but gettin the hang of it. Givis a bit more of your Old lodge mems

Altoni

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »
garland wholesale merchants was next door to mrs mc clean shop she made hot soda s every morning. davy orr lived next door to hanratty bar. it was at the corner of conlon street.

Liz Carlisle

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2011, 03:25:51 PM »
hi, i am new to this...but looking for information about Fortingale Street, off the Old Lodge Road, in approx 1881....if anyone could help i would be very grateful. Thanks honeyB

eros

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2011, 03:38:14 PM »
welcome to the forum all you new members! my father had a shop at the botton of the old lodge road  a shoe repair shop Eros
Lest we Forget

kate.o

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2011, 11:51:28 AM »
would anyone know reenie mullen from bennet st she married peter mc.allease he came from the falls.last i heard they moved to turf lodge. she was a freind from the 50s. :-*