Author Topic: cregagh road  (Read 7959 times)

sammy1935

cregagh road
« on: June 01, 2011, 07:50:12 PM »
Does anyone have photos of the cregagh road  before 1965

Sammy Hawthorne

Re: cregagh road
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 07:50:07 PM »
I lived in Arhenlee Parade in the 1950s.

Let me look in my old picture collection sometime

Jamesbelfast

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 07:25:08 PM »
If you go to your local library or contact Hillview Nursery you can borrow or buy a book by Aiden Campbell recalling olden times of the cregah and Woodstock area.

Daddycool

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 02:38:25 PM »
I lived in flats beside cregagh pres church

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 03:59:51 PM »
Daddy Cool,

You must be very young? Those flats were only built in the 1970/80 if I recall.

I left [size=78%] Ardenlee Parade in 1955 to join the Royal Navy as an Apprentice Artificer. Though my parents were there until the 80/90s.[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Behind the Presbyterian Church on the other side was a Scout Hut, not affiliated to any Church that I remember. In those days most Scout/Guide troups were affiliated to a Church/Chapel.  Cregagh Presbyterian had the Boys Brigade, I was a Life Boy there with the Harbinson sisters in charge of us little ones, their younger brother John taught me in the Belfast Technical High School in The Belfast Technical College. The building beside ' Inst ' will sadly be no more shortly as it is due for redevelopment! [/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Still have to find time to look up any Cregagh Rd. photographs ! In the New Year perhaps ![/size]

Daddycool

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 09:34:44 PM »
Hi moved into them 62 with my fam I was 16 my dad was curate inn church I was I scouts 66th

Daddycool

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 09:37:28 PM »
Iattended the college as I served my time at printin they turnin it into student accod for queens

Bigali

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 11:04:08 PM »
So no pictures then like the op asked for ?  ???
Tout Prest

carledgar

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 12:25:39 AM »
I lived in Arhenlee Parade in the 1950s.

Let me look in my old picture collection sometime

I almost bought a house there in December 1989, but ended up at 4 South Parade, instead. Sold the house in 1996 and moved to Crawfordsburn, but have since gone back to Canada, to which we emigrated in 1954. I've been back and forth a few times over the years. Ardenlee is a beautiful area.

The house I spent my childhood in, on Grand Parade, cost about 900 pounds in the early 1940s, about 25K in the early 90s but it jumped by leaps and bounds into the 50s and higher. We rented it out when we moved to Canada and it fetched either 3K or 5K some time in the 1960s.

artybgoode

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 11:35:55 PM »
Daddy Cool,

I left [size=78%] Ardenlee Parade in 1955 to join the Royal Navy as an Apprentice Artificer. Though my parents were there until the 80/90s.[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Behind the Presbyterian Church on the other side was a Scout Hut, not affiliated to any Church that I remember. In those days most Scout/Guide troups were affiliated to a Church/Chapel.  Cregagh Presbyterian had the Boys Brigade, I was a Life Boy there with the Harbinson sisters in charge of us little ones, their younger brother John taught me in the Belfast Technical High School in The Belfast Technical College. The building beside ' Inst ' will sadly be no more shortly as it is due for redevelopment! [/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Still have to find time to look up any Cregagh Rd. photographs ! In the New Year perhaps ![/size]
  what good news,I Discovered here..It hasnt happened yet,I hope it does...I hope they flatten the great victorian style monstrosity as it obscures one of the most iconic facades on the whole island..

artybgoode

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 11:39:34 PM »
  what good news,I Discovered here..It hasnt happened yet,I hope it does...I hope they flatten the great victorian style monstrosity as it obscures one of the most iconic facades on the whole island..
   Sorry this thread was about Cregagh rd,and here am I ranting about the worst,most monstorous, town planning blunder in the history of Belfast .

artybgoode

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
Daddy Cool,

[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
                           Sammy..you can remember those flats being built,can you remember what was on the land before the flats were built?

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
Something is wrong with this reply page. It keeps bombing out.

I will post my reply another day!

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 08:43:19 PM »
The flats above Cregagh Presbyterian Church were built where very large Semi-Detached and Detached house used to be. There are still some large houses left above the flats today. The last one used to be a very Grande Doctors Surgery in the 50/60/70s.

Below the church in the 50/60s there was an old fashioned Nursery belonging to a family from Redhill in England. My mother knew them during the war in Redhill. The entrance to Cregagh Cricket Club was along a little lane between the Nursery and the Church. The Scout hut used to be at the end of this lane.

The other entrance to the Cricket Club was in Daddy Winkers Lane !

artybgoode

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 01:49:24 AM »
The flats above Cregagh Presbyterian Church were built where very large Semi-Detached and Detached house used to be. There are still some large houses left above the flats today. The last one used to be a very Grande Doctors Surgery in the 50/60/70s.

Below the church in the 50/60s there was an old fashioned Nursery belonging to a family from Redhill in England. My mother knew them during the war in Redhill. The entrance to Cregagh Cricket Club was along a little lane between the Nursery and the Church. The Scout hut used to be at the end of this lane.

The other entrance to the Cricket Club was in Daddy Winkers Lane !                                                                                                                                   
  an"old fashioned nursery" is that a childrens nursery or ,fruit ,flowers and veg? I remember a man called Andrews who sold fruit and veg,locally ,assisted by his son,from a canopied horsecart,and who I believe was based around there. that would be in the 50s,and 60s.