Author Topic: The pound club  (Read 17163 times)

river rats

The pound club
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:03:25 AM »
Did any of you go to the pound club in the seventies? Do you remember Jim Armstrong and GLORIA? the awful Toilets? Roddies bar next door. Do you have any Pictures would love to see them. Or just hear all about you memories. Ah happy days :smile: 
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

glenb

Re: The pound club
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:38:46 PM »
I remember the Pound was in it a few times, kegs and planks, but fun. Yes, remember Roddies as well, the barman sold me a license plate that said Celtic on it

Normko

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Oh yes, I remember wading in the gents toilet.  The photo that Bob put the link to is part of a set I took in 1976.  You'll find the full set here http://www.flickr.com/photos/normko/sets/72157594337413917/with/603270091/

There is a snap of Jim Armstrong in the set but he was in the darkest part of the stage so it's a bit fuzzy as I wasn't using flash.  But great days really, wet shoes or not.

river rats

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 10:17:03 PM »
Thanks for the link great pictures great memories. The toilets yes almost learned to swim there. I saw the new year in on 1976 mad night.
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

tboy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
that wee Moravian that sang with Chips :smile:

REP1

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 11:31:19 PM »
Just for the craic, why was it called the pound club.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

David (Joe) Martin

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 06:37:30 AM »
When I used to go there in the mid sixties i as told that it was a pound for horses in the older days and you would have to pay a fee to get your stray horse back ...so they were impounded
 :unsure: :unsure:  shortened to "Pound".  I don't know how true it is.

REP1

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »
Apparently that is the reason it was close to the cattle markets and there were many animals roaming out of control, and were impounded there.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

vancouverbob

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »
I fisrt went to the Pound in August 1977.  My Da had given me money for passing all my O levels.  Light were playing and it blew me away; 40p a pint also helped! I became a regular and there was soon a great crowd of us who would normally sit upstairs at the very back, on a Saturday night when Bronco (or Sk'Boo) finished with Gloria we would dance like maniacs.  My best memory is the guitar duel between Jim Armstrong and Jimmy Slevin - The flight of the bumble bee I think. 

Jerms

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 11:49:40 PM »
Happy memories, getting [censored] on a Saturday afternoon listening to Bronco who also played in the Stables , Strathern on a Wedensday night. They only charged a pound admission. Thats why we called it the pound club. May not be the right reason though. :)

tboy

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 08:53:29 PM »
looking back on it and listening to my own daughter, the kids take to a place and actually believe it's their own. They take all the responsibility away from the hungry Cavan landlord who only has to provide flooded toilets and over priced cider. ;)

scurvydog

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »
I spent some underaged drunken nights there in 75/76. Sat in the balcony. I think the band was called Spike.

EllCee

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »
Happy memories, getting [censored] on a Saturday afternoon listening to Bronco who also played in the Stables , Strathern on a Wedensday night. They only charged a pound admission. Thats why we called it the pound club. May not be the right reason though. :)

It was called "The Pound" because it used to be the pound for stray animals.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Yogi

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 12:51:36 AM »
An education in rock music, great bar staff and Belfast charachters! Not to mention the "Chosen Few" bikers! - great guys