Author Topic: The pound club  (Read 17264 times)

Merry Chef

Re: The pound club
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 01:55:18 AM »
Some folks might remember me I only went in with Chosen Few, Flash was on the door (desk) Tam, Woo you boys know who u are :<) and the boys from Dublin Vikings Outlaws came up one night cops stopped (wonder why !) outside smell of weed and grass was strong. I asked the cop ( kinda asked :<)  ) he said just to look at the chops and bikes outside. Party carried on into the wee hours. Cool those days it was so different .

Roadracer

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 11:28:15 AM »
Been trying to find the where abouts of an old mate of mine from late seventies early eighties used to hang with the Chosen Few, red headed bloke Jordy.

Merry Chef

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 03:00:49 PM »
Remember him but no idea where he is maybe someone on here would know ?

staike

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 01:27:06 AM »
Pound club was the best in Belfast...crap beer but a pub with no hassle. .couldn't have had better.

staike

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 02:00:13 AM »
Happy dayz in the Pound, from what I remember! Dancing on tables, watching Jim Armstrong, couldn't had a better Saturday. 
Getting  into the private back lounge - if u were invited - to see J Roddy senior playing piano was a gem.
Staike - Chosen Few

ChristineMcCrea

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 11:03:31 PM »
Anyone know the name of a barman who worked there in the early 70s who survived being shot multiple times?  He was from Springfield Road or therabouts and would be 63-65 now ...

misssmyth1

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 11:35:33 AM »
I only went about three times the music was great but the place smelled bad and the toilets were Disgusting   I couldn't put up with that for any music... There were better places like The jazz club and the maritime with great music....and a good crowd ...and good prices

river rats

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 09:52:29 PM »
It was a right of passage,a dirty hole,a safe heaven from the madness that was goin on in the streets.
People forget of how as teenagers in the 70s the so called best times in our lives was taken away.
No big groups played here the home internationals stopped bit by bit it all stopped some peoples very lives stopped
I hear people say it was not that bad,but it was.
May god forgive you for stealing it away from us.
For three hours on a Saturday it was a different world,where no one cared who or what you were we were United by music and for once in our sorry existence we could sing
G L O R I A and mean it.
I loved the place it was all some of us had.

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

JackM

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 01:23:19 PM »
A filthy hole with disgusting toilets, flat beer, smelly people and watered down spirits. The music was good though.  :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

misssmyth1

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »
I really feel for everyone who had to live through the 'troubles' in Belfast... and I do understand how it must've been a bit of respite to go to a club and try and enjoy for a while. I know the Pound was enjoyed by many people even though it was 'stinky '   The music was great as I said previously.... I left for London in January 1970  when i was 19 as I had job lined up and temporary accommodation .. I   saw a few nasty things and I couldn't go out with a group of friends any more as we were of a different religion.. I'm glad to say It wasn't our choice but other people made It difficult for us.. The final straw came when on my way to work by bus one day some very nasty people decided to throw bottles/bricks at the bus windows and a few people were hurt..I was fortunate enough to be accepted for a job in London and have been here ever since and very happy.. i do visit Belfast now and again but less as my parents have both passed away now..i enjoyed my teenage years in Belfast and the brilliant music scene and had many laughs with my friends.. I remember staying out all night with my best friend when we were only 15 to get the Rolling Stones autographs as they were staying in the Woodburn Hotel near us we got them OK but worried our parents to death... My lovely friend and me are still friends and she followed me to London a few months after I came.. and then a few more and so on...  I was so HAPPY as here we could be just pals without anyone asking what religion we were 'cuz It didn't matter!!!!

Jordybiker

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 11:47:08 AM »
Hi Roadracer, I'm Jordy, saw on the forum you were looking for me. Fond memories of Saturday afternoons and nights in the pound with Woo, Staike, Doze, Tam, Flash, Ale and the rest of the lads. Unforgettable and unrepeatable. I emigrated to Spain in the 90s, still biking tho'. Who are u? Any of the lads still around?
Jordy😎🚴‍♀️🏍⚡️

Roadracer

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 08:42:05 PM »
PM sent  :)

lorrainepastpounder

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »
It's great to come across the article, i thought everyone had forgotten about the old Pound Club lol. It was my haunt every Saturday in the '70's, i was a wee bit underage but nobody asked questions. Yea tatty, but the music was excellent!  ;)

lorrainepastpounder

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »
Excellent comment River Rat.  "G L O R I A" for ever!!

Soup 123

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
I first had a drink in the Pound in 1968 , underage , it was a lottery if you got in or not.  Pennyfeather , a folk group , played there on Wednesday and Friday nights , hard rock on a Saturday , I recall S’boo . Great looking girls and brilliant music , the place literally rocked with the stamping on the floors and beating the tables with your glass following the beat of the music .  It got a lot of us out of the ghettos and into Town where nobody was interested in what foot you kicked with .
There a,int no money in POETRY,  that’s what sets the poet free.