Author Topic: Belfast Hardmen and their fights  (Read 52193 times)

Brianj

Belfast Hardmen and their fights
« on: June 11, 2011, 03:03:30 PM »
Hi all, I am working on a project about Belfast Hardmen and their battles.

Basically I'm trying to get a list of places where particular street fights took place.

The sort of people I am talking about are the following..

Silver McKee, Stormy Weatherall, Paddy Hard Socks, Girnin Tommy, Johnny Gah Gah, Bucksy Drummond, Cleeky Clarke, Nailer Clarke, Hooper Holland, Squint McGee, Skeeball O’Hare, Hoof Laird, Squint Pipe, Devil Murray, Fingers Kelly, Bubbly Dan, Daylight Kelly, Paddy Newry, Duckegg Maguinness, The Duke of Millfield, Juke the Bullets, Topper Deeds, Johnny Blue Bum, Tommy Hard Times, Clap Yer Feet, Doggy McCullough, Hands up Boyle, Tucker McAllister, Pig Minelly, Smicker Smith, Cloot O’Neil, Digger McClorey, Chopper McAuley[/font][/size]

Any advice would be great, and specific places would be perfect...

Thanks in advance

Brian

eros

Re: Belfast Hardmen and their fights
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »
only heard of some of them , but was pig minelly not an ruc man that rode a motor bike ?
Lest we Forget

Brianj

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »
Ha, couldnt tell you Eros! I got the list of a friend of a friend I only know a few myself.. I've heard of a few battles concerning Buck Alec and Silver McKee but need to find out where!!

stevieboy

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 04:32:59 PM »
Ha, couldnt tell you Eros! I got the list of a friend of a friend I only know a few myself.. I've heard of a few battles concerning Buck Alec and Silver McKee but need to find out where!!
Not so sure about Buck Alec versus Silver McKee. It was usually Silver versus Stormy Weatherall and it was Stormy who usually came out on top. Pig Meneely was a peeler on a push bike !!!
A lot of fights used to take place at the Chapel Fields in Belfast.

Brianj

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 04:48:12 PM »
Ahh you could be right Stevieb I just remember being told about one with Buck at the old Dunmore race track! Where's Chapel Fields?

apalachie

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 05:05:56 PM »
I think they were in Alfred St, facing St Malachy's Chapel, hence the name but I'm not 100%.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

stevieboy

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 05:12:36 PM »
I think they were in Alfred St, facing St Malachy's Chapel, hence the name but I'm not 100%.
Yea, that is correct. Silver McKee lived close by, in the Markets area.

apalachie

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 05:17:18 PM »

Then here is a pic of St Malachy's from the fields.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

johnnymac

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »
I remember a Chopper McGauley (not McAuley) from the Ballymurphy Road. He lived there in the 1960's and was considered a bit of a bully. He once tried to take a racing pigeon from me - one that I had just rescued from a hedge on the Black Mountain. I was having none of it and refused to hand it over.

[email protected]

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 06:28:40 PM »
I remember a Chopper McGauley (not McAuley) from the Ballymurphy Road. He lived there in the 1960's and was considered a bit of a bully. He once tried to take a racing pigeon from me - one that I had just rescued from a hedge on the Black Mountain. I was having none of it and refused to hand it over.
  Was the pigeon for your dinner.

william bickerstaffe

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 06:44:25 PM »
lol yeh christmas  dinner lol

doare.

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 06:49:11 PM »
stormy was the doorman in the naval club on north st when i went there in the early sixties, most of the "hard men "were alcoholics lol there were a few more with hard reps like seamy doyle, fra ward and it WAS  mckee and wetherall ,or the story of doyle versus red ned, when doyle emerged from the alley after the fight they asked him had he been red leading? he replied "no i have been red nedding" then there was "bull sullivan" where are they now?.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

tboy

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »
Hi all, I am working on a project about Belfast Hardmen and their battles.

Basically I'm trying to get a list of places where particular street fights took place.

The sort of people I am talking about are the following.. it's more of a nickname route you are following :smile:

Silver McKee, Stormy Weatherall, Paddy Hard Socks, Girnin Tommy, Johnny Gah Gah, Bucksy Drummond, Cleeky Clarke, Nailer Clarke, Hooper Holland, Squint McGee, Skeeball O’Hare, Hoof Laird, Squint Pipe, Devil Murray, Fingers Kelly, Bubbly Dan, Daylight Kelly, Paddy Newry, Duckegg Maguinness, The Duke of Millfield, Juke the Bullets, Topper Deeds, Johnny Blue Bum, Tommy Hard Times, Clap Yer Feet, Doggy McCullough, Hands up Boyle, Tucker McAllister, Pig Minelly, Smicker Smith, Cloot O’Neil, Digger McClorey, Chopper McAuley[/font][/size]

Any advice would be great, and specific places would be perfect...

Thanks in advance

Brian
huh, I said it earlier, are you more into nicknames   huh,    :D

sean d

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 07:42:07 PM »
stormy was the doorman in the naval club on north st when i went there in the early sixties, most of the "hard men "were alcoholics lol there were a few more with hard reps like seamy doyle, fra ward and it WAS  mckee and wetherall ,or the story of doyle versus red ned, when doyle emerged from the alley after the fight they asked him had he been red leading? he replied "no i have been red nedding" then there was "bull sullivan" where are they now?.

SHEAMY doyle lived down springfield ave, Far as i know he still lives there. he lost an eye fighting a traveler. The story goes! He really looked tough and we kids crossed the road when he approached. The toughest fighter from hear has to be blair mayne ( colonel paddy ) Stormy went to newtownards to have a look at him and prove who was the toughest. one look and he was off.
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

william bickerstaffe

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 07:59:06 PM »
there are a few books  for blair mayne  very good reading  well worth looking at