Author Topic: Belfast Hardmen and their fights  (Read 50511 times)

derdrei

Re: Belfast Hardmen and their fights
« Reply #180 on: June 02, 2018, 02:42:52 AM »

silver on the right with some other men from the market
great artibell thank you lovely to see photo's :)

misssmyth1

« Reply #181 on: June 02, 2018, 02:19:19 PM »
Hi I have read every post from the beginning with great interest  i vaguely remember some of the names being mention while I was growing up in Belfast Times were very different and harder i think. Once having got a reputation of being a hard man it must have been impossible to stop others from challenging the fact, even if you just went out and about your normal business.. although reading some of the posts some the men were professional fighters too.

Once when my mum and dad were out drinking in a local pub off the Grosvenor Road  sitting  with the other couples in their company four young lads  were standing at the bar  and as my mum was walking to the toilet one of them put his foot out on purpose and tripped her up and she went flying. This was witnessed by my dad and others . my dad apparently leapt up and grabbed the guy and hit him than the other 3 joined in to attack my dad he apparently used his Army training  and defended himself against all four very quickly laying  them out. Men pulled him off as they didn't want him to go too far but they explained they were on his side as they had  witnessed what had happened . meanwhile my mum was being attended to by some of the other women. she had bruising to her face and hurt her legs knees etc; My father was a gentle person very loving never even shouted at us ever but this act towards my mum was just too much for him.....result... later   the boys decided to get a gang and beat my dad up when he was alone ..dad heard of this and went  alone to the 'Tripper uppers' house to have a quiet word with him ..result the 'tripper upper' and the other 3 boys came in to the pub at a later date publicly apologised to my mum  and Dad and the subject was closed . no one knew what conversation took place but it worked. He never disclosed to anyone the contents of the conversation he said it was a private matter.. my dad never went out looking for a fight but could take care  of himself and like Road Hogs Grandfather  was a hard worker  had several jobs  and and looked after his family very well with love and respect .. He told us he never wanted to fight anybody  as he had seen enough in the 2nd world war out in the Western Desert and many other places . he had been shot during the war and survived without any ill effects and was so glad to be able to come back to his loved ones and Belfast. he was in  the Army for 15 years in total. He met my mum well after the war and they were  very happy together and I am glad to have  had him as my dad .I don't think anyone can really  relax if had a hard man for a husband/ Father/ brother /son etc; dad told me he fought  in the war for 'everyone's freedom' not for one religion or colour or creed to dominate another and he just wanted peace and quiet ..and to get on with his simple life.

jjmack

« Reply #182 on: June 02, 2018, 06:17:10 PM »
As far as I am aware, Stormy had the beating of Silver, who had the beating of Buck Alec.   Blair `Paddy` Mayne had the beating of them all.
I can recall Joe Hendron ,ex MP, retelling the story of Blair Maine fighting Silver in Queens Square, beside the Albert clock, in Belfast. Hendron`s father was a publican and they lived upstairs. He recalled that one day he looked out upon Queens Square and saw Mayne and Silver squaring up to one another. Silver took of his coat, Mayne did not and adopted the traditional boxers stance. Before Silver knew what hit him, Mayne had landed a left jab and a right hook followed by a body punch which shook Silver. Another right hook from Mayne and it was `goodnight` Silver. Hendron later stated Silver didn't stand a chance against Mayne.
I was also told about the time Stormy went to Newtownards with a view to fighting Mayne. Stormy went into the Ulster Arms (Mayne's local) in Conway Square, made his enquires from a few people he knew and decided not to tackle Mayne. I don't think these two ever fought.
As well as being a war hero, Mayne was an accomplished sportsman, a teacher , a solicitor and although a heavy drinker, always kept himself very fit. Such was his fearsome reputation around Newtownards, most people would give him a wide berth, especially if he had been drinking.
On the night of his death, when he crashed his car, he was still alive as he sounded the car horn for assistance, but such was his fearsome reputation and unpredictable nature, no one would go to help him. Some people in Newtownards still refer to him as `Bully Mayne`.

O0 O0
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Sparty

« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »
Hi I have read every post from the beginning with great interest  i vaguely remember some of the names being mention while I was growing up in Belfast Times were very different and harder i think. Once having got a reputation of being a hard man it must have been impossible to stop others from challenging the fact, even if you just went out and about your normal business.. although reading some of the posts some the men were professional fighters too.

Once when my mum and dad were out drinking in a local pub off the Grosvenor Road  sitting  with the other couples in their company four young lads  were standing at the bar  and as my mum was walking to the toilet one of them put his foot out on purpose and tripped her up and she went flying. This was witnessed by my dad and others . my dad apparently leapt up and grabbed the guy and hit him than the other 3 joined in to attack my dad he apparently used his Army training  and defended himself against all four very quickly laying  them out. Men pulled him off as they didn't want him to go too far but they explained they were on his side as they had  witnessed what had happened . meanwhile my mum was being attended to by some of the other women. she had bruising to her face and hurt her legs knees etc; My father was a gentle person very loving never even shouted at us ever but this act towards my mum was just too much for him.....result... later   the boys decided to get a gang and beat my dad up when he was alone ..dad heard of this and went  alone to the 'Tripper uppers' house to have a quiet word with him ..result the 'tripper upper' and the other 3 boys came in to the pub at a later date publicly apologised to my mum  and Dad and the subject was closed . no one knew what conversation took place but it worked. He never disclosed to anyone the contents of the conversation he said it was a private matter.. my dad never went out looking for a fight but could take care  of himself and like Road Hogs Grandfather  was a hard worker  had several jobs  and and looked after his family very well with love and respect .. He told us he never wanted to fight anybody  as he had seen enough in the 2nd world war out in the Western Desert and many other places . he had been shot during the war and survived without any ill effects and was so glad to be able to come back to his loved ones and Belfast. he was in  the Army for 15 years in total. He met my mum well after the war and they were  very happy together and I am glad to have  had him as my dad .I don't think anyone can really  relax if had a hard man for a husband/ Father/ brother /son etc; dad told me he fought  in the war for 'everyone's freedom' not for one religion or colour or creed to dominate another and he just wanted peace and quiet ..and to get on with his simple life.

No offence mate but this sounds like something your Da probably told you when he came home blocked after being kicked out of the boozer for annoying folk   :o

misssmyth1

« Reply #184 on: June 04, 2018, 01:40:52 PM »
No sparty the neighbours were talking about it my dad never said a word  he was also warned of the boys getting together and planning to give him a hiding  there were witnesses in the pub and all on dads side as apparently these young bucks were causing trouble wherever they went thinking they were hard men. if you knew my dad a gentleman but no one ever could threaten or try and hurt  mum or us he was very protective of us he had a rough upbringing and tried to stay away from violence he learned to box properly and obvioulsy as in the Army knew  unarmed combat .   he wasn't proud f what he did he was just defending my mum against these louts who thought it was funny to trip a middle age woman . very brave eh?  my dad was taught to box to keep him and his brothers off the streets and to  learn a sport as well as disipline .they were also sent to football club and martial arts my grandad had 6 boys to take care off and keep safe and help them to take care of themsleves in a rough life.  my dad wouldnt even discuss it it was others who did it. he was well respected .my mum had bad bruising to her face and hurt her wrists legs knees badly in the fall . could he let them get away with this?   

Sparty

« Reply #185 on: June 04, 2018, 02:23:09 PM »
Fair play Missy, don't think he'd have been much of a man if he'd have let that scum get away with tripping up your mother.

iamfighter97

« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »
My granda was good friends and knew stormy well . The stories I heard used to bring a smile to my face when I was younger. The story I remember most was when apparently stormy got seriously battered in a bar fight by a load of men and after he went to hospital to get stitches straight after he got out of hospital he was straight back to the bar In the same night and went in single handed and took on the whole number of men in the bar and bate them all black and blue. Judging from other stories and what I have read on this forum stormy Weatherall was not if the hardest man of his time in Ulster .

sonnyboy

« Reply #187 on: December 29, 2018, 11:00:13 PM »
My granda was good friends and knew stormy well . The stories I heard used to bring a smile to my face when I was younger. The story I remember most was when apparently stormy got seriously battered in a bar fight by a load of men and after he went to hospital to get stitches straight after he got out of hospital he was straight back to the bar In the same night and went in single handed and took on the whole number of men in the bar and bate them all black and blue. Judging from other stories and what I have read on this forum stormy Weatherall was not if the hardest man of his time in Ulster .
I think Blair Mayne would have made mince meat out of all the so called Hard Men of Belfast Back then and since

Morton McDonald

« Reply #188 on: December 30, 2018, 03:26:27 AM »
I was born and raised in Belfast and witnessed a fight with Stormy and ?.
The hardest man i ever met is a Canadian name of George Chuvalo and was a witness to last man standing.All came from the country to witness this bare knuckles fight.George was last man standing and if you followed boxing you will understand.
I can hold my own,joined the U.S.Marines in 1963 and my D.I. said i was boxing in a smoker,turned out my oponent was non other than Ken Norton lasted 3   2 minute rounds it still hurts. Morton Mc Donald from Tates Avenue.

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2018, 07:43:38 AM »

Firstly can I welcome you to the forum iamfighter9 and secondly can I ask you your age?
God bless President Trump.

Morton McDonald

« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2018, 08:42:06 AM »
George Chuvalo was a heavyweight fiighter and was never in his profesional carrier knocked off his feet.
Took on all comers Clay/ Ali,Foreman,Norton.all went on to be the Heavy weight champion of the world in Professional boxing.

jjmack

« Reply #191 on: December 30, 2018, 12:13:14 PM »

Welcome to the 'forum'. Yes indeed Stormy was a tough nut indeed.  ::)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Bread Basket

« Reply #192 on: January 14, 2019, 05:40:40 PM »
George Chuvalo was a heavyweight fiighter and was never in his profesional carrier knocked off his feet.
Took on all comers Clay/ Ali,Foreman,Norton.all went on to be the Heavy weight champion of the world in Professional boxing.
Morton, George Chuvalo as you indicate was indeed a good fighter as his record shows. However, although he challenged for the World Heavyweight title he was unsuccessful. In saying that he was Canadian Heavyweight Champion.
Anyway, enough to say that he mixed with the best.
🥊🥊🥊🥊🥊

Sparty

« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2019, 01:25:39 PM »
Whilst the men mentioned in this thread were undoubtedly very hard nuts, the mention of Chuvalo brings to light the fact that boxers are on a different level of 'hardness' altogether. Even the most modest boxer would wipe the floor with pretty much any streetfighter. Vastly superior technique, timing, composure etc. Lenny McLean was lauded as the 'Hardest Man in Britain' for years and was destroyed in a round by the likes of Johnny Waldron and Cliff Field.

jjmack

« Reply #194 on: January 24, 2019, 08:49:28 PM »
Whilst the men mentioned in this thread were undoubtedly very hard nuts, the mention of Chuvalo brings to light the fact that boxers are on a different level of 'hardness' altogether. Even the most modest boxer would wipe the floor with pretty much any streetfighter. Vastly superior technique, timing, composure etc. Lenny McLean was lauded as the 'Hardest Man in Britain' for years and was destroyed in a round by the likes of Johnny Waldron and Cliff Field.

Yes indeed. It was the old boxing technique that stood Blair Mayne in good stead when he gave a slapping to street brawler Silver McKee, in Queens Square. A fight that was witnessed by ex MP Joe Hendron from upstairs in his dads pub, in Queens Square.  :)