Author Topic: St Patricks College Knock Gilnahirk  (Read 42830 times)

jaybee715

St Patricks College Knock Gilnahirk
« on: June 16, 2011, 04:14:04 PM »
Any old boys from this (Granmmar School) ?

I attended from 1967 to 1973 when I left belfast. Any pictures or shared stories will be gratefully received

The head was Fr Conway I believe
I also recall Fr O'Sullivan , Fr Pascal McCann, Mr McGee(perhaps Gee) Mr McKee (he was the newsreader I think)

Any contributions would be most welcome to help with my research

Thanks to you all and love always to Belfast

irishcolum

Re: St Patricks College Knock Gilnahirk
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »
I attended from 1969-75. I remember Holy Joe Conway well. Another priest there was Fr Jackie Fitzsimons. A few of the memorable great teachers were Seamus McKee (English), Paschal McCaffery (Latin/Greek), Dan McCall (History), McGukian (geography), McKernan (Irish), Thompson (Chemistry)...and of course who could forget Una Hegarty (Mathematics) ?  She was a standout amongst the very few women teachers.
I consider myself fortunate for having gone to this great school even though we were taught in mobile classrooms for my first 3 or so years as the school was being slowly built during the height of the Troubles.

Colum O'Hare

girl from the block

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:20:55 PM »
Do you boys know  the school has been rebuilt this year and previously amalgimated with our ladys girl school from holywood.

irishcolum

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »
Yes indeed I had heard that the school had gone "co-ed" (quite a long time ago...about 1984-5). Didn't know about the rebuilding. Mind you, it was hard enough getting it built the first time around, what with the bombings and shootings in the 70's.

stickyra

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
I had a friend who went there in the seventies called Paul McGurk. Anyone remember him?
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

irishcolum

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 12:43:27 AM »
Yes, I remember Paul McGurk. No idea what ever became of him.
Steven Wasson, John Scan, Kieran Scullion, Hugh McGivern, Pat Carragher, Mark Brown, Paul Donegan, Paul Owens, John Hanratty, Dave Noonan, Liam Wilson, Terrence Mercer, Dermot Sweeney, Kieran McGonigle, Paul Bradley, Peter McRoberts...these are a few long lost friends graduating 1976.

stickyra

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:04:48 AM »
As far as I know McGurk emigrated to Australia in the late seventies.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

strandguy

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »
I also went there in 1969 and was there to 1975. A few other names off you: Ken Eccles, Desmond Ginty, Eugene oLoan, Austin Hinds, Kevin Murray, Liam Wilson, Peter Gill, Turlugh McKeown (RIP), Edward Durkin

irishcolum

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 06:09:51 PM »
Bingo !!
There's a great video up on YouTube. It was made by Paul Donegan and shows many of the old faces from the class of 1976. Here's a link to it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_um2gK0yEwk

Colum

strandguy

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 06:21:57 PM »
Just watched it - seems really strange like stepping back in time nearly 40 years - another name for you in that video - Marcus Allen. Recognised a few teachers also, Harry Magee on guitar, McCall, Foy

irishcolum

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 06:25:52 PM »
Excellent...yes, I felt the same way when I saw it first ! There are 3 more...you can search for them on YouTube and take a look. They're all grainy and foggy...just like my memory after 40+ years !
Who is this ? You can send me a private message if you like
Cheers
Colum

strandguy

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 09:13:04 PM »
Ken Eccles

strandguy

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »
A few more- Kieran Ennis, Dominic o'Hara, Michael O'Dwyer, Stephen Magennis, Brian Magee, Chris Stewart, Piers Stinson - am sure there are more!

Often wondered if you pulled all these guys together now, where they would come from and what stories they would have to tell!

irishcolum

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 01:30:49 AM »
I'm sure those stories would be quare and interesting !
Remember Stephen Wasson ? He went to Australia, I think.

TommyMato

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 04:06:59 AM »
Tom (Slasher) McCann reporting in.  :)  You might remember me and my brother Greg who was in the year above me. I was best mates with Paul McGurk - he emigrated to Darwin, Australia in 72 or 73. Other names I remember... Pupils: Keiran Foley, Marcus Allen, Hugh Findlay, Michael McShane (year above), Robert (Scrod) Mooney, Budgie Craig. Teachers: James (Jamesey Tart) Sullivan (Science), the fiercesome Mr Bradley (Maths), Father (Whale 'im Fajer!) O'Sullivan (can't remember what he taught).

Great days! They left a big impression on me - especially after a game of Gaelic football on the old turnip field.