Author Topic: St Patricks College Knock Gilnahirk  (Read 45262 times)

billh35

Re: St Patricks College Knock Gilnahirk
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2018, 11:19:19 AM »
I agree I used to take my tie off once I hit the city centre as many of us did. I am surprised the school didn't take more steps to safeguard the pupils going to and from school.

Doyler

« Reply #286 on: September 05, 2018, 06:13:01 PM »
Hi all. I've just read through all the posts and lots of memories came back. I was at St Pat's for only 2 years 70 to 72. I went to St Matthew's primary the same year as David McCrory - he was much more clever than the rest of us. I travell3d from Bangor also for part of the time so i remember attacks on the bus frequently - that's why I left. I only remember John Heenan from Andytown as I stayed in his house. Sorry - Nicky McAlorum also. I'm sure more names will come back. Age lol.

irishcolum

« Reply #287 on: September 05, 2018, 10:13:10 PM »

Recently found this information and photo from "The Troubles" which a detailed account of all the atrocities we all (or most of us) lived through in the 1970s.
I remember looking in horror out the window of our Ormeau Road school-bus, which arrived on this scene about 30 minutes after the grenade attack.

irishcolum

« Reply #288 on: September 05, 2018, 10:25:19 PM »

Sadly, guys, [/size]
Paul Palmer "Arnie" passed away only about a year ago. Hed been very generous working with and for disadvantaged folk in the Himalaya amongst other places. A good guy all round.[/size]
What memories of Arnie do any of you have ?[/size]

[/size]
Paul Palmer "Arnie" RIP [/size]

[/size]
(This photo is taken from the big 1971 school photo...way too big a file to post the complete photo on this forum)[/size]

hungry homer

« Reply #289 on: September 06, 2018, 09:41:34 AM »
Colum, Is there any site I could access the big photo? I remember Joe Boss fussing round getting everybody in rows for the picture and the way it was taken was like something out of the 1920s, the camera panned across the massed rows of "happy" pupils. Were the teachers included in the photo?

irishcolum

« Reply #290 on: September 06, 2018, 03:07:49 PM »
Homer,
The file-size for the big group photo is too large to post here, but if you give me your e-mail ( private message me), Id be happy to send it.

hungry homer

« Reply #291 on: September 06, 2018, 07:17:12 PM »
Colum,
I remember the morning of the attack on the workmen's bus well; I was on the Ormeau special as well and remember we were diverted away from the street normally turned into.

billh35

« Reply #292 on: September 11, 2018, 01:51:52 PM »
If you upload the image file into Dropbox (www.dropbox.com) then you can send the link via PM to people who you want to see it. Registration and use is free. It will take any size of file.

David McCrory was in my year. What became of him?

Doyler

« Reply #293 on: September 11, 2018, 04:32:07 PM »
The last time I saw David he was a surgeon at Whiteabbey Hospital. That was 20 years ago though.

DBG

« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »

Does anyone know how Arnie (Paul Palmer, above) got on after he left QUB? Or any thoughts on him at St Pats?
I was in the same year as Arnie (69 to 76). We both went to QUB (76 to 79/80). As far as I remember he did mechanical engineering.
I lost touch with him when we finished at Queens.
He was a very decent guy. Very sad news.

billh35

« Reply #295 on: October 15, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »
Just been looking on Google Maps & Streetview at the old school.....boy has it changed.

This is the view from the Kingsland Drive entrance....

This is the view from Kingsway Gardens - the large grey "new building" as it was known has gone!

An overhead view showing how the site has changed.

I think everything we knew, apart from the grass pitch, has gone! No point going back to visit it these days, there's nothing left!

Andytown Special

« Reply #296 on: January 07, 2019, 08:05:20 PM »
Great nostalgia. I can remember a lot of the names(although all considerably older than me)and nearly all of the teachers who were largely excellent,on mature reflection. It is hard to believe that the school survived through the 70s. I can remember the UW strike with some fondness. I was in first year and we got nearly 3 weeks off school in may 74.
Does anyone remember the trip to Rome in 74? There were 70 of us on that expedition with only a handful of semi-sober Latin teachers and Arthur McCrory who posed as Brutus. I can remember going to see Lazio v Verona on Easter Sunday,after mass in St Peters Sq,at the Olympic Stadium. It was 4-2 and this was at a time when Italian football was very sterile. Lazio won Serie A that year. We also had a great shoplifting team with us so all the folks back home got some high quality Knick knacks which had been liberated by some stickyfingered alumni from tourist stalls outside the Forum. Great memories.
I was there until 1980. The new school was finally completed at the start of our upper 6th year. We played 5-a-side in the new gym every day in upper 6th with the new PE teacher John Sullivan who was a top man. He married Rosie the Spanish teacher who was an equally brilliant person.
Lovely memories. Sad that 67-87 has been written out of history.