Author Topic: St Patricks College Knock Gilnahirk  (Read 49855 times)

hungry homer

Re: St Patricks College Knock Gilnahirk
« Reply #300 on: February 02, 2019, 08:25:03 PM »
Bill, I have a clear conscience which is why I sleep so soundly! :D
I remember when I woke up, I was told of the engineering feat involved in transferring the train from the Spanish gauge to the French one, but engineering is not my bag!
You certainly touched lucky with your trip to Spain, certainly sounds like a great experience.

Slippytit

« Reply #301 on: February 09, 2019, 06:54:37 PM »
I was at St. Pats for just two years from either 70 or 71. I wasn't academic and found it very difficult and left before I got dropped. I remember the odd name on here.
I lived in the Braniel then and walked to school through the estate with Marty Lynch. His older brother Paul has had a few mentions so far. I was in the same class as Michael Eccles and was shocked to read that he died. A few other names are, James Sisk ...from Kircubbin I think. John Coney who's da was the bar manager in the Drumkeen. He was left handed and wrote the best letters in forehand for when we bunked off.  A big lad called Bumble. John Walsh who swapped boots with me when we played Gaelic. Aforementioned Michael Eccles who fought tooth and nail not to play Gaelic.
I'd love to see the big photo that was taken in the quadrangle in front of baldy Joes portacabin.

billh35

« Reply #302 on: February 16, 2019, 11:19:40 AM »
You must have been in my class. I was "headless". I didn't realise Michael Eccles had died? James Sisk, Bumble, John Coney, Joe Bean were all in my class.

Slippytit

« Reply #303 on: March 04, 2019, 12:01:41 PM »
Iíve been wrecking my brain for a headless lol. Are you Cooke, sorry I canít recall the first name...But yes I remember those names. And Philip Clarke (he always pointed out with an e)....I read about aMichael Eccles in this forum. This thread I think. Very sad news.

live-round

« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »
I was also on that epic train journey from Madrid to Paris...  Never forgot a rather wobblyt Pat Doris arriving in about midnight
 with a hot Spanish tortilla wrapped in tinfoil. We were starving and all skint.  Great times.. 
Trying to remember who all was there,
Only got myself Garry crothers
Terence Kearney
Paul McCloskey
My god me memory is bad.

Add any names if you can

Svkindofblue.com

hungry homer

« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2019, 04:35:30 PM »
Paul McCloskey wasn't on that trip, it was his older brother Bernard. Myself, Stanley Black and Maurice McKeown were on the trip as well.
I was a 5th year then - can't remember the names of the younger lads who were on it.  It was a great trip. I remember the Real Madrid v Ajax European Cup semi final we went to - brilliant atmosphere.

live-round

« Reply #306 on: March 24, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »
Paul McCloskey wasn't on that trip, it was his older brother Bernard. Myself, Stanley Black and Maurice McKeown were on the trip as well.

You are quite correct it was Bernard.. Just looked thru all the old messages on this thread and I can't work out who u are. Gimme a clue please.  Also do you have a copy of that old school photo that was mentioned previously.  I lent mine to Paul Lynch a few years back and am still waiting for its return. I'm guessing he's lost it on his decant to Donegal. 
Garry
Svkindofblue.com

hungry homer

« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the photo you mentioned. The poster "Irish Colm" has it and I asked him to e-mail me a copy, but I haven't received anything.
If I told you I got very, very drunk on that trip, you might have a good idea who I am. Poor Stanley Black was rooming with me and had to listen to me doing my "dying swan" impression the day after! do you remember the girls from Bilbao who were staying in the same place as us?

live-round

« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2019, 07:50:21 PM »
There was a lot of very very drunk people on that trip.  Myself included,. I need more of a clue than that..  Who organised those tickets, that was a great/fantastic experience,?drinking red wine from the bota in the stadium.  Excellent.. Unforgettable.   Do I remember the girls?   I assume you are referring to "Lourdes Rojo Arrizabalaga" and "BegoŮa Cebolla"
Only vaguely ;)...
Shame about the photo..  let me know if you get a copy.  I'll hassle Paul Lynch next time I see him.
Garry
Svkindofblue.com

hungry homer

« Reply #309 on: March 24, 2019, 08:09:30 PM »
I also remember the wee bar we used to frequent in the street. One of the barmen was threatening to cut my hair - I had long flowing black curly hair then. there was also a tasty looking barmaid as well!
I remember there was one of the Bilbao girls had the unfortunate surname Cebolla, and there was another girl called Fabiola.
As for a further clue, I was known as "Cass" at St. Pats - not the most original nickname.

billh35

« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2019, 02:02:28 PM »
Patrick C?

Her name was actually Begona Cebolla Erquiaga and Fabiola was her mate! I have a photo of them in a boat on the lake at the Retiro!

Bumble was Eugene Hughes. Patrick Delaney is another name that comes back.

Paul Browne

« Reply #311 on: April 03, 2019, 02:24:00 AM »
Just read through all these posts re St pats. Sad we missed out on a reunion and really annoyed re rewriting of our early history, ie we didnt exist before 1985. Reall keen on a reunion pint or two? Happy to assist with organising..hungry homer??, what do others think??

hungry homer

« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2019, 10:23:05 PM »
Just read through all these posts re St pats. Sad we missed out on a reunion and really annoyed re rewriting of our early history, ie we didnt exist before 1985. Reall keen on a reunion pint or two? Happy to assist with organising..hungry homer??, what do others think??
To quote my hero Homer Simpson "Can't someone else do it?" :D