Author Topic: St Patricks College Knock Gilnahirk  (Read 39858 times)

city hall

Re: St Patricks College Knock Gilnahirk
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2018, 08:32:15 PM »
Hi Jim, I don't like to state my name in an open forum.Once you have posted another couple of times I will be able to send you a PM (Private Message).I was part of the 67 year so was a year in front of you.From memory I am assuming the Noel is Noel McCotter,Davy Clinton,Winker is Damian Watson.
Harry McCarry is/was a teacher the last time I saw him.He had suffered a serious health issue but assured me he was on the mend.I could be wrong but my memory is that the boy of small stature called Mooney was Patrick.Titch has me stumped, what was his name? 
Was there a Harry Farrell and Gabriel McAreavey in your year? I remember plenty of names, but if they weren't in my year,it's hard to remember which year they were from. Which names do you remember from the year 67 intake?

Bangorbus

« Reply #271 on: April 26, 2018, 11:27:43 AM »
I remember Harry McCarry and ? Mooney. I bumped into them in Salthill in 1975. There was indeed a Gabriel McAreavy. Other names from the 68 year are Clem McIlhatton, Davy Gardiner, Paul McMullan, Ricky McAlorum... I could go on.

Paul Browne

« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2018, 10:50:52 PM »
Hi Folks

I went to St Pats from 68 to 75.

Class mates: Stanley Black, Michael Brady, Michael Brennan, John Busby, Sean Cassidy Desi Crilly, Finbar Cross, Phil Gallen, Chris Kelly, Don McEvoy, Sean McKay, Winker Watson, Paddy Nash, Colm Coney, James Ward, Peter Sefton, James 0'Brien and many more.

Teachers: John Creanor, Father 0'Sullivan, Pat Kernan, John McGuikian, Pascal McCaffrey, ? McAleavey, (first year)

Huge memories....cycling with the magees to school, portacabins, building works, troubles, bombs, soccer on the potato field, corporal punishment, making good friends. Was at the 74 Rory Gallagher concert. Stayed the distance, got A Levels, went to Queens, played average soccer, got a history degree, worked at the Fair Employment Commission, then Queens for 23 years before ill health retirement with a Prostate problem hopefully now under control. Agree that the original School history is conveniently forgotten, happy to meet up with any like minded folk. Best wishes to all.

hungry homer

« Reply #273 on: April 27, 2018, 12:15:13 PM »
Hi Paul,

You fair went through the roll call of 1A!

McAleavey's first name was Eugene. After he left St. Pats he went to Derry and taught at St. Colms. I guy I used to work with who was originally from Derry was taught by him and McAleavey was known as "Fred", a nickname he carried over from his time at Knock.

I went to the school the day they had an open day for the new building and it is a far cry from the old portacabins we sat and froze in in the winter!

Maurice Mck

« Reply #274 on: May 13, 2018, 03:46:46 AM »
Hi I am one of the original class of 1967, live in Belfast and am also retired now. I only heard about this forum from Phil O yesterday. Sorry I missed last yearís 50th reunion. I remember the 3 portacabins and the roll call list of that year brought back many fond memories and sadly memories too of those who have passed away including Tom Ivory, Gerard Kielly and Paul Ballantine to name but a few. I remember Father Oísullivan beating us with his badly damaged bible, Creanor punching us in the back with pointed middle knuckle and McGuikian firing dusters at pupils and some who goaded him and ducked so the duster would hit windows behind them! I too remember a class after Bloody Sunday when McGuckian was so overcome with these events that he gave us some work donít know what and then put his head on the desk for the rest of the class without speaking further.
Some mentioned the great school dinners. However as the lunch period only lasted about 40 mins with lunch taking up to 30 mins if you were lucky meaning perhaps 10 mins of footie this was of little use to me. I used to spend my dinner money on crisps etc to get more footie life was simple then! We also did football banging the ball against the wall and naming the next person who had to kick it while watching out for Father Joe who would often stop our game.
Paschal, Pat Doris and silver McKee were my most remembered teachers.
I would be happy to meet up at any future reunion perhaps amalgamating the 67 and 68 year classes.
It is a shame that the current college seems little interested in those early years.
Adios for now.

[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]

philfluter

« Reply #275 on: June 13, 2018, 12:38:28 PM »
Any chance of finding out if Fr.Conway's book is still available and,if so,where could we get one.Any info would be appreciated.

philfluter

« Reply #276 on: June 13, 2018, 12:40:56 PM »
The College ran off copies of Father Conways book and had them for anyone wanted them at the get together/mass at the College
I took extra copies home with me if anyone wants one