Author Topic: Parkinson family, Lisnamallard, Omagh  (Read 789 times)

Colin Parkinson

Parkinson family, Lisnamallard, Omagh
« on: June 21, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »
Hi,
I am new to this forum, first post, and grateful for any assistance.
Thomas Parkinson was the brother of my great Grandmother. He was in the 43rd Reg of Foot and was posted to Omagh in the early 1890's. After coming out of the Army he was a Barrack Warden from 1896 to 1921 when he retired. I have his death certificate for 1 December 1945 aged 89, Belfast District Urban 4. Informant was a grandson V. Watkins.

I am trying to discover the family of Thomas & his wife Annie, she died pre-1945. I know of the following children,
Edith May Parkinson, born England 1888, died Tyrone 1913.
William Joseph Parkinson born 1889 I of W, died 1917 (WW1) Ireland. Married a Julia (believe Lynch) 1908 and had a
daughter Annie Elizabeth Parkinson born 1910 Ireland.
Reginald Thomas Parkinson born 1891 died (WW1) 1918. William Joseph & Reginald Thomas were both in the Royal Inskilling Fusiliers and both died in the Great War.
Amelia Winifred Parkinson born 1893 married Edward Watkins  (Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers) 10 July 1912 Omagh. Had sons Edward Reginald Thomas Watkins born 1913 Co. Tyrone, Victor Eric Watkins born 23 Feb 1917 Military Barracks Omagh, Valentine Basil Watkins  born 15 Aug 1919 Campsie (?).
Lillian Jane Parkinson born 30 Jan 1900 Co.Tyrone and was the wife of W.H Wilson - Durham Light Infantry.

Thomas Parkinson was a member of Cappagh Masonic Lodge No. 350, Omagh.

Grateful for any guidance,  information or help in finding the descendants of Thomas Parkinson. Sorry for so much information but wanted to avoid duplication.

Colin Parkinson

Carl Larter

Re: Parkinson family, Lisnamallard, Omagh
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 08:17:04 AM »
Hi

A bit late to respond but I was researching my family and noticed your post.  My Grandfather was Edward Reginald Watkins. 

Colin Parkinson

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 10:34:57 AM »
Hi Carl,
Thank you for your email. My research in Northern Ireland hasn't progressed very much. So I assume your grandfather was Edward Reginald Thomas Watkins born 1913? Are you able to give me any details on Edward or his brothers Victor & Valentine. Did they remain in Northern Ireland. Their mother was Amelia Winifred Parkinson born 1893, her parents were (Allan) Thomas Parkinson & Annie Elizabeth Sangwell. (Allan) Thomas Parkinson's parents were William Parkinson born 1812 Hauxton Cambridgeshire and Mary Jane Eakins born about 1832 in Ireland, we don't know where but probably Northern Ireland.
I know next to nothing about the Watkins family but can help you with the Parkinson's.
Very happy to exchange information with you. Have you done a DNA test as we will be distant relations.
Cheers
Colin Parkinson

Carl Larter

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 01:04:53 PM »
Hi Colin yes he was but sadly I didn’t know him as he died in 1966 before I was born.  My Grandmother was a lovely lady and lived to be 96.  By all accounts he was a wonderful man.  He served in Burma during the war and was in the RAF.  I have some lovely phots if him and I can send you one when we are back in the UK.  I do know that he had one brother Valentine, however, I note that there was possibly another brother whom I had never heard of.  Sadly I did not meet Valentine as my grandmother fell out with him when my grandfather died.  I do also have a photo of his aged mother and father which I can send to you too.  I’m very interested in researching my family tree though must admit I haven’t done too much about it. I did want to try to get his war record as I understand that his brother was also on the RAF and a story I remember is that when my Grandfather was fleeing the Japanese in Burma he found his brothers discarded kitbag by the side of the road and thought the worst.  Fortunately he was a live and they met in a bar some months later. 
I have never had a DNA test done and maybe I should.  Apologies for the delay but we are on holiday with the kids and hadn’t noticed the reply as it went into junk.  Hopefully hear back from you.  Regards Carl

Carl Larter

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 01:06:35 PM »
Apologies for the appalling spelling and grammar but I am typing on my phone!

JimG

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 04:17:37 PM »

I know you wanted descendants only but I couldn’t  sort so I took a liberty with your family information and addingin  bits and pieces.to my idea of a DRAFT Tree  Have I got the main descendants all listed for others to extend correct ?

Thomas Parkinson buried 1712 Hauxton Cambridgeshire. I am aware the headquarters’ of Cambridge Public Library local history unit has special indexs to search but refrained, so simply demonstrating the family goes back in Hauxton village over 300 years
-----------------
1. William Parkinson b 1812 Hauxton Cambridgeshire [in 1861 he writes b Stapleford (nr Cambridge)   m [2nd Qter 1853 Shoreditch England source https://www.freebmd.org.uk/]  in 1861 he is a pensioner labourer ag(ricultural)   m Mary Jane Eakins b~ 1832 Ireland
children
1.1. Arthur Parkinson b 1848 age 13 Portsmouth Hampshire
1.2. Mary A Parkinson Ab1854 age 7  Richmond Surrey I assume this is the older sister referred to.
1.3. Allen Thomas Parkinson b 1857?  babtised 6 May 1857 Hauxton father a labourer
So this is why you entered (Allan) . The1861 census for  high street cambridgeshire the original handwritten census lists the place as  Hauxton in the transcript it becomes red herring Hampton  . (Allan) Thomas Parkinson [I assume he is the same as Allen above and nothing to do with b and death of a Thomas Parkinson in 1858 in other records] [ Thomas Parkinson b 1858 Hauxton Cambridgshire genesreunited treeholder David[b ~1857 from 1911census] m [1886 Poona India source British armed forces and overseas from my genesreunited sub] [in 1911 Pensioner Army Expense Store Accountant Army Service Corps ] Annie Elizabeth Sangwell [Baptisms Parish of St Paul Devonport 1873 give b 14 Aug 1871, baptized18th Sept 1873  of 5 Duke St  parents Joseoh and Amelia Sangwell, [b1871-2 from 1911 census [could she be Annie Sangwell b Devonport 1871 treeholder ‘Colin” in genesreunited, you need to join to see tree][ Joseph a band sergeant of 12 Cherrygarden st Devonport earlier 1873 Bandsman 2nd RegT    Annie Elizabeth Sangwell’s brother baptised same day ie Joseph Henry Sangwell b 5 Sept 1873 Baptised 18 SEPT 1873
children in order
1.3.1. Edith May Parkinson, b 1888 [Elham ]Kent England, d Tyrone 1913.
William Joseph Parkinson b 1889 [Parkhurst]  I of W, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers[ no 7863  enlisted Omagh nd. 1st Batt d  residence Cardiff d 1917 (WW1) Ireland. source http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~econnolly/genealogy/rohsdgw/royalinniskillingfusiliers/inniskillingfusiliers08.html] m Julia (Lynch?) 1908         
children
         1.3.1.1.  Annie Elizabeth Parkinson b 1910 Ireland.
1.3.2. Reginald Thomas Parkinson b1891 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers died (WW1) 1918. [ I didn’t find Reginald in CWG or Skins source above]
1.3.3. Amelia Winifred Parkinson born 1893 married Edward Watkins  (Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers) 10 July 1912 Omagh.
children
1.3.3.1. Edward Reginald Thomas Watkins b 1913 Co. Tyrone,
1.3.3.2. Victor Eric Watkins b 23 Feb 1917 Military Barracks Omagh,
1.3.3.3. Valentine Basil Watkins  b 15 Aug 1919 Campsie(Campsie townland Cappagh Parish Omagh east (?). or Scotland]
1.3.4. Lillian Jane Parkinson born 30 Jan 1900 Co.Tyrone m [3rdqter 1918 Halifax England] W(alter) .H Wilson - Durham Light Infantry.freebmd

1.1.4. Matilda Parkinson b 1860 b 1859 Ferozepore India

the 1911 Census shows Annie had 5 children all living Amelia and Lillian are listed, the draft tree above has Edith May and Reginald so one child is missing .
see 41 in Gortmore (Omagh Urban, Tyrone)
Thomas Parkinson 54 Male Head of Family Protestant Church of England England Pensioner Army Expense Store Accountant Army Service Corps etcetc

I thought I had traced the Eakin(s) family to a cluster site in Co Tyrone via the Tithe Applotment books only to find the 1828 parish was in Co Londonderry/Co Derry if you interested I can give details of the 4 or 5 Eakin around that date in Co Tyrone .
so hope i have helped abit
Good luck onwards

ps for Carl have you tried https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/search-military-records-for-free?SE=go&adID=448715744060&KW=ww2%20raf&SC=16&NO=493&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvtSXs-P36gIViZntCh0J9AJCEAMYASAAEgI_h_D_BwE

[/b]

Carl Larter

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 11:12:26 AM »
Colin

Thanks for this, very interesting.  Such a fascinating area to understand from whom we are made and what we are.

Best wishes

Carl

Colin Parkinson

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 09:15:34 AM »
JimG, Thank you for your interest and contribution. I can clarify a few points. The earliest known Parkinson in our tree from Hauxton near Cambridge is William Parkinson buried 5 Sept 1801, father of Allen born 1791 (died 1865 both events Hauxton) In the parish records there are several William births and marriages and it is not clear which is which.

Allen's son William Parkinson born 13 Nov 1812 married Mary Jane Eakins in Richmond London in 1853. She would have been born circa 1832, Ireland. William was in the 43rd Reg of Foot and would have been serving in Ireland where he no doubt met Mary Jane. In all subsequent census returns it shows Mary Jane was born Ireland but this is our brick-wall we do not know where. One of their daughters married and lived with her daughters family in Wayne Detroit USA on a US census it shows her mother (Mary Jane) was from Northern Ireland. It would be very interesting if you can let me have the Eakins cluster from Tyrone. Incidentally after William died in 1873 (Darlington) Mary Jane remarried to a John Houston in 1876. On both her marriage certificates it shows her father was James Eakins a Weaver. Mary Jane & John both died in 1910. As I mentioned all census returns (1861-1901) it only shows Mary Jane was born Ireland.

The reference to (Allen) Thomas Parkinson is that his birth registration in the GRO index his birth is shown as Allen Thomas but it seems he only used the name Thomas.

William Joseph Parkinson married Julia Lynch in 1909 Dublin South, she was born Wicklow 1888. They had 2 children, Annie Elizabeth born Tyrone 1910 and Edith born Farnham 1913 (probably Aldershot as William Joseph was in the Army, as many Parkinson's were). William Joseph died 1917, I do not know what happened to Julia or her daughters.

Carl, thank you for your message, I hope your family are enjoying your holiday. JimG gives a good link to the War Records website. It does give some information but you need to subscribe for further information. I do subscribe to Irish Roots and along with the limited information on War Records I can summarise a little on your grandfather and his siblings:-
Edward Reginald Thomas Watkins born 23 Jun 1913 Omagh, RAF 564782 Year 1926.
Victor Eric Watkins born 23 Feb 1917 Omagh, RAF 566941 Year 1926.
Valentine Basil Watkins born 15 Aug 1919 Omagh, RAF 966604 Year 1940.
I don't know if the years refer to. If years of attestation but they would have been very young, boy cadets?

Their father was Edward Watkins born circa 1881 married Amelia Winifred Parkinson 1912 Omagh. Edward was Staff Sgt Army Gym Staff, Irish Fusiliers, reg number 817. On marriage record shows his father was Henry Watkins a Coachman. Carl, do you know if this is an Irish family?

I have just remembered you were considering requesting your grandfathers RAF records. I will send you a separate link to the Ministry of Defence web site that explains the application procedure. As I recall you will need a death certificate and it costs £30. The only one I have seen didn't show a lot of information.

If you are considering a DNA test I suggest AncestryDNA, it will give the most name links and an indication of your ethnic origins. There is a cost, but sometimes Ancestry give discounted offers and a subscription to Ancestry will be necessary, a further cost.   

Best wishes
Colin Parkinson

Colin Parkinson

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 10:05:37 PM »
Hi Carl,

I promised to let you know the web address that explains applying for a Military Service Records. It is at www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records.

Also AncestryDNA have a current offer reducing from £79 to £59 until Sunday 9 August 2020. They charge £5 shipping but this includes the return postage of the DNA pack.

I subscribe to several genealogical sites so if there is anything I can look up for you then please do not hesitate to ask.

In the British Newspaper Archives site I found reference to Valentine's wedding. There is a marriage notice dated 6 June 1941.
Yesterday at St Elizabeths Church Dundold the wedding took place of A/C I Valentine Basil Watkins RAF youngest son of Mr & Mrs Edward Watkins of Dunluce Avenue Belfast & Miss Elsie Dorothy Shimmons youngest daughter of  

Hope you find interesting.
All the best Colin