Author Topic: Shankill shops in the 60's  (Read 43611 times)

river rats

Shankill shops in the 60's
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:05:57 AM »
As a child of the 60's from the road I remember Haverons the barbers he used to put a plank on the seat so you would be tall enough to cut your hair always turned out the same bowl cut.
There was a shop near by called Donnellys sold clothes there was a man in it who people said was not right.
Browns the chemist he was a real gent all the wee toy shops that sold airfix kits  and matchbox cars and comics.I am sure you all remember lots of them please post any pictures you may have of them,
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

Patsy-Ann

Re: Shankill shops in the 60's
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:24:59 AM »
Remember Kay's Corner and Shields think was name of shop got my daughters christening robe in and lots of other baby essentials...great shops. .but loved Beatties Chip Shop :girl_blum: :girl_blum: :girl_blum: :girl_blum:
We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

bricat

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:13:58 AM »
Dawson Wrights hardware shop, next to Diamond st Public toilets, then he moved up to the corner of beresford st.
If i'd known i was goin ta live this long i would've taken better care of meself

allymac

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »
Always remember Walter Chambers shop just below Downing Street and Leslie Sanlons shop at the corner of Craven St and Mansfield St.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

oilyrag

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 01:17:16 PM »
Butchers shop down from the library , white coated bespectacled chopper welding butcher with a wooden stump for a hand , we used to stare in to see it and he'd make a face and growl , we'd run like the blazes.
so drunk to hell I left the place , sometimes crawling sometimes walking

nella

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 01:51:24 PM »
That butcher was Mr Holland,his shop was at the top of Canmore st where I lived. Nella..

Altoni

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 05:39:10 PM »
do you remember hoggs chemist  shankill library o hara s bakery noble s shoe shop  and quinns fruit shop

chink

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 05:42:39 PM »
Remember Kay's Corner and Shields think was name of shop got my daughters christening robe in and lots of other baby essentials...great shops. .but loved Beatties Chip Shop :girl_blum: :girl_blum: :girl_blum: :girl_blum:
was kays corner  a childrens clothes shop

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 07:36:40 PM »
Yes Kays corner sold kids clothes and my neice had part-time job there in 70's.  What was name of shop that sold the Girls Model uniforms???  I always came away upset as they agreed with my Mum...better couple sizes too large...sure she'll grow into it!!!!!  Remember leaveing the house and turning skirt over and over to shorten it!!!

No-one will forget The Balmoral Furnishing Co.  My friends wee son lost his life there along with his wee friend :(
We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

rudegirl

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:47:41 PM »
Remember Sylvies, Kingsland, Mcgackeys Butcher, Cotters Kitchen, Philpotts,McMurray Shoe Shop and was it snuffy mercers you called the shop at the corner of sugarfield street it had wee display with hand painted soliders etc

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 02:15:21 AM »
Patsy-Ann, Loane's sold school uniforms.  I think the street they were at the corner of was Beresford Street.  I think the shop was called Loane's Brothers - that's where I got my school uniforms.

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 02:19:57 AM »
Does anyone remember the name of the "pokey" wee shop almost facing Diamond Street - it was a haberdashery?  They had all sorts of spools,. buttons, zippers - anything you needed in haberdashery!  I think it was at the corner of Hopeton Street or was it Hopewell Street?

Also what about Simonses (I think that is how it was spelt) where we used to buy a skirt length to make a straight skirt to wear to the "dance".

urneygirl

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 02:31:59 AM »
Does anyone remember the name of the "pokey" wee shop almost facing Diamond Street - it was a haberdashery?  They had all sorts of spools,. buttons, zippers - anything you needed in haberdashery!  I think it was at the corner of Hopeton Street or was it Hopewell Street?

Also what about Simonses (I think that is how it was spelt) where we used to buy a skirt length to make a straight skirt to wear to the "dance".

Patricia m, I think is was called Donnelly's, I was talking about that shop with Bobby's aunt not long ago and she couldn't remembered  what it was called, so I may not be right.

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 03:08:51 AM »
Urneygirl, you could be right!

urneygirl

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 03:21:42 AM »
Urneygirl, you could be right!

I remember going in there with my mother  :smile:  I remember it being a dark cluttered shop.