Author Topic: Shankill shops in the 60's  (Read 43424 times)

Patsy-Ann

Re: Shankill shops in the 60's
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 10:08:15 AM »
Well I confused now ...Patricia Margaret I was thinking when I saw Sylvies that that was uniform shop.   I remember it was on a corner and I think just before Agnes St  but I may be totally wrong :scratch_ones_head:
We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

forever_a_shankill_girl

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »

My granny used to send me round to Berties for her snuff. It was on the corner of Sugarfield St. Also used to go to Holland's butchers for a quarter of brawn for my granda's piece for work. My mum and aunties used to get their slips, bras etc out of a shop on the corner of Canmore St.
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

allymac

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 12:03:21 PM »
Does anyone remember the shop that sold furs,I think it was called Jaffas,near the Linfield Tavern?
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

Altoni

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 08:13:46 PM »
mc conkeys opposite hopeton street they sold all different type of clothing also christies wallpaper shop at corner of percy street.

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 02:19:01 AM »
Patsy Ann you are right Sylvie did sell school uniforms but Loanes was there way before Mrs. Sylvie opened her shop.  Actually the two shops were across the road from each other, not quite opposite.   I also got my uniforms in Loanes and remember the "beige" knee socks?, (to wear with the Clark's laced up shoes), well I also got my knee socks in Loanes as well.  Small world, here in Canada I actually knew a lady whose late husband was one of the Loane's.  Oh yes also get the navy school knickers there!

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 02:21:18 AM »
Urneygirl you are right about the shop being dark and cluttered.  I remember they used to have a stall at the Market.  Talking of the Market did you go there when you were home?  I go every year when I am home.

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 02:23:02 AM »
Allymac, yes I remember Jaffa furs, they were "way down" the Shankill, opposite Diamond Street. That's where I bought my furs!!  (I don't think)  Makes you wonder, how many furs they would have sold on the Shankill??

urneygirl

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 02:51:44 AM »
Urneygirl you are right about the shop being dark and cluttered.  I remember they used to have a stall at the Market.  Talking of the Market did you go there when you were home?  I go every year when I am home.

Patricia M, Yes I do remember they had a stall in the Market. My mother used to go on a Friday for fruit and chicken, the chicken's used to run around and you got to pick the one you wanted  :(  I loved to go with her when I got a chance to be off school. I have never went back anytime I'm home, but God spares me I'll put it on my list the next time I go  :smile:

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 03:16:31 AM »
Urneygirl worth the visit. 

sonofshanks

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »
Well I confused now ...Patricia Margaret I was thinking when I saw Sylvie's that that was uniform shop.   I remember it was on a corner and I think just before Agnes St  but I may be totally wrong :scratch_ones_head:
Slyvies, corner of North Howard Street sold school uniforms in the 60s. Loanes, corner of Beresford Street, also sold school uniforms in the 50s and 60s. Irwin's (I think) opposite Slyvies also sold school uniforms in the late 60s early 70s.
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

allymac

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 08:38:56 AM »
Was there a wee bakers shop beside Sylvies?
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

river rats

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »
I remember Holland's butchers he was my mates uncle he only had one hand lost it in an accident in the shop
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

stevieboy

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 11:16:55 AM »
Was there a wee bakers shop beside Sylvies?
I think it might have been Thompson's Bakery or the Mayfair :scratch_ones_head: :scratch_ones_head: :scratch_ones_head: ?

hathaway

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 09:57:32 PM »
Remember Grahams record shop where i bought my first records in the 60s. It was next door but one to the Greyhound bar. Also remember a shop called Cookes next door to the orange hall. They sold all things Red White and Blue. My brother and i bought ribbons there for our band poles.

Patricia Margaret

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 12:57:12 AM »
There way a Mayfair Bakery on the Woodvale Road.