Author Topic: Shankill shops in the 60's  (Read 43426 times)

oilyrag

Re: Shankill shops in the 60's
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2011, 08:42:13 AM »
There way a Mayfair Bakery on the Woodvale Road.

behind the counter all the buns where on display with a plastic number like you'd find on a door.You'd go in and ask for two of No. 3 ...four of No.7 ,etc etc. and they'd be tonged into a paper bag , all high tech stuff for the day. Remember diamonds and snowballs , always hated the files graveyard the currant bun yuck. Thanks PM....I had forgotten about the Mayfair bakery.
so drunk to hell I left the place , sometimes crawling sometimes walking

arder lavery

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2011, 01:28:04 PM »
my ma used to take me to a shop just below tennant st on the shankill. just below the stadium, to get shoes.
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

arder lavery

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »
my ma used to take me to a shop just below tennant st on the shankill. just below the stadium, to get shoes.
and our school used to take us to the swimmers at peters hill just below the shankill.
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

oilyrag

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »
aye arder I remember Peter's Hill bathes well , you'd walk in the door and the chlorine would melt your eyes balls out. The changing traps either side of the pool with their twin wee benches for getting your kit off. If you got right at the pools edge and looked up you might have got a flash of a wee dolls nickers.
Looking back to those days ,there must have a lot of dirty auld men who hung about places like that.
( not guilty I was only 10 )

Watso

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 08:59:12 PM »
Remember wee joe spence butchers below Tennent street,McCurries i think was the shoe shop at Carnan street.

oilyrag

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »

you'd shoes ,you were posh , we wore our summer holiday plastic sandals all the way through till the winter then it was cut down wellies.

The Lounge Lizard

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 10:34:30 AM »
I'm not sure whether this was in Peters Hill or the Shankill but I remember as a child being in a shop that put your money in a cage and it went flying along the ceiling on a pulley system...it might have been a hardware shop.
Memories they can't be bought,they cant be won at carnivals for free,it took me years to get those souvenirs and I don't know how they slipped away fr

[email protected]

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 12:14:19 PM »
Allymac, yes I remember Jaffa furs, they were "way down" the Shankill, opposite Diamond Street. That's where I bought my furs!!  (I don't think)  Makes you wonder, how many furs they would have sold on the Shankill??
     Jaffa Furs later moved to Queens Arcade would anyone remember Dr Richie

allymac

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 12:18:46 PM »
Dr Richie was a well known man on the Shankill for many years.He used to have a surgery at the corner of Malvern Street.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

[email protected]

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 12:22:02 PM »
Dr Richie was a well known man on the Shankill for many years.He used to have a surgery at the corner of Malvern Street.
He was very good not only to the people of the Shankill Road but the Falls Road also

oilyrag

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
I'm not sure whether this was in Peters Hill or the Shankill but I remember as a child being in a shop that put your money in a cage and it went flying along the ceiling on a pulley system...it might have been a hardware shop.

Pattersons (tool and iron mongery) shop in Anne's St. just up from pottingers entry had someit similar prior to being done up in the 60s.

wataboutye

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 05:32:32 PM »
Doctor Jamison. .Doctor Weatherup upstairs facing the Crown
Sure if I don't see you thru the week I'll see you thru the windie!

wataboutye

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 05:33:31 PM »
Kelly Brothers Cars

wataboutye

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 05:40:10 PM »
Bob Stewarts the barbers just below Brady's Lane.
He was the first automated barber in the world.....you took the numbered wooden disc inside the door and got called when it was your turn...but you could wait for "your" barber if you wanted.
Down the "washers" in Peters Hill baths on a Friday and a short back and sides with a bit off the top and a square neck in Bobby Stewarts ready for a big weekend.

wataboutye

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
Or do your dough in the bookies in Brady's Lane and have a jar in the Larne House .ye didn't have to wander far eh?