Author Topic: BALLYSILLAN PLAYING FIELDS  (Read 8918 times)

arder lavery

BALLYSILLAN PLAYING FIELDS
« on: July 14, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »
what a great place.
we played gaelic and hurling there for years.
it was actually our home ground.
but to walk right round it was a pleasure.
i remember practising to 11 at night before going home.

HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

tboy

Re: BALLYSILLAN PLAYING FIELDS
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:50:51 PM »
nightmare, Leo Murphy put me in goals,   I had never heard of GAA   :D

jmac

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:25:07 PM »
I remember it when it was Pricies fields :D
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

arder lavery

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »
I remember it when it was Pricies fields :D
im sure your right. remember the big old farm place over at the other side. it was falling apart and surounded by trees.

Brodie

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »
Does any one know what the name of the loney that was in that area? It was across the road from the "boys home".
I remember a horse getting stuck in a ditch there and it took ages for to set it free.Great amusement for the local children.
I also remember the smell of the new mown grass when the fields were cut before the fair.
The gypsies used to frequent the playing fields also.
Happy memories.

jmac

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 07:57:17 PM »
Does any one know what the name of the loney that was in that area? It was across the road from the "boys home".
I remember a horse getting stuck in a ditch there and it took ages for to set it free.Great amusement for the local children.
I also remember the smell of the new mown grass when the fields were cut before the fair.
The gypsies used to frequent the playing fields also.
Happy memories.
Buttermilk Loney was just across the Ballysillan Rd. .It ran from the Ballysillan Rd. to the Crumlin Rd., it's now called ballysillan Park but there's a street of new house's at the top of it which they named Buttermilk Loney :smile:

Ubique

Brodie

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 05:36:09 AM »
Hi Jmac,
I vaguely remember Buttermilk loney but the one I was thinking about was up the other end of
Ballysillan road. It is now called Bilston road,but before the houses and girls school were built we
called it "The Loney" and I was wondering if it had a name.
Do you remember Bills Loney,up the Ligoniel Rd?  :smile:

SANDRAM

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 08:58:41 AM »
Hi Arder Lavery,

I lived in Alliance Drive and the Ballysillan Playing Fields and Pricies Farm were our main playing area.  Back in the 50's going to Carrs's Glen Primary we used to walk up through the playing fields to the second hight (as we called it) turned right and cut across more of Pricies land that took us up to the Deer Park Road and then onto the Oldpark Road where school was.  Many happy school holiday were spent running around the grounds just outside of the farm house - swinging from ropes tied to trees and jumping over the wee stream that ran through the del.
And what about Nepolians Nose for long walks and exploring during the school holidays and the beautiful blue bells !!!!!  Magic !!
Sandram

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 09:38:26 AM »
Delivered the Belfast Telegraph to Prices farm with my brother, scarry on a dark windy night.
God bless President Trump.

jmac

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »
Hi Jmac,
I vaguely remember Buttermilk loney but the one I was thinking about was up the other end of
Ballysillan road. It is now called Bilston road,but before the houses and girls school were built we
called it "The Loney" and I was wondering if it had a name.
Do you remember Bills Loney,up the Ligoniel Rd?  :smile:
Hi Brodie, sorry but "buttermilk" was the only loney that I knew around Ballysillan. :smile:

Ubique

Brodie

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 06:27:44 AM »
Thanks anyway, Jmac.
We used to go for long walks along Ballysillan road,left up through what I think must
have been Buttermilk Loney,through fields, hills and a dam.We eventually hit top of
Ligoniel road and made our way home.We didn't know the names of a lot of the places but
thoroughly enjoyed our adventures.
Can you imagine letting 10 yr. old children roam around on their own these days?  :smile:
Hi Brodie, sorry but "buttermilk" was the only loney that I knew around Ballysillan. :smile:

arder lavery

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 08:44:39 AM »
Thanks anyway, Jmac.
We used to go for long walks along Ballysillan road,left up through what I think must
have been Buttermilk Loney,through fields, hills and a dam.We eventually hit top of
Ligoniel road and made our way home.We didn't know the names of a lot of the places but
thoroughly enjoyed our adventures.
Can you imagine letting 10 yr. old children roam around on their own these days?  :smile:
i think i know where your talking about, up past the dam, and i think it left you up right beside the terminus  ?

oilyrag

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 12:23:55 PM »
I remember that top lane didn't know it had a name especially one as sweet as Buttermilk Loney.  It was the usual spot were we'd cross paths with guys coming from St Gabriels , us coming from the Boys Model. The worse day of the week was when they carried their hurley sticks probably after practice .There was one wee get , a real vindictive titch , always remember him , big nose and a red face to match his blazer, he would start all the confrontations and egg the bigger ones on.He's probably a politician now.
Sometimes due to the time the Everton girls school was empty but occasionally there might be a couple coming out form extra work. We'd fall in behind them having a good letch and pretend we knew what we were chatting about.
so drunk to hell I left the place , sometimes crawling sometimes walking

Brodie

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 01:28:47 PM »
Yes Arder,we even managed to catch a few "spricks" in the dam.The poor wee things didn't live very long. :swoon:

Brodie

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 01:36:47 PM »
Oilyrag,what year would that have been? We may have crossed paths! :smile:
My Mum used to tell us that some poor folk could eat off The Smell of an oily rag.lol.